2019 Phantom Regiment

50 minutes ago, EricS said:

What you want along with your "sect" of long time fans is going to destroy PR.  Sugar sweet shows of the past isn't going to cut it in today's DCI competitive environment.  Days of old shows are going to continue to lower PR's standing.  Low ratings don't attract top talented MMs or MONEY.  Consequently the corps will die.  I am Spartacus was good in 2008, but ain't gonna cut it in 2019.

Good thing they aren't doing it then.

20 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Good thing they aren't doing it then.

we will sse

Hate to break it to you old timers, but the references to the past arrangers an regime are pointless. It’s pretty clear that the music team of Pitts/Ferguson/Brown are here to stay. I’ll still give them the benefit of the doubt, after all, similar teams at other corps have taken 5+ years to start to come together and make great things (Bluecoats...etc). It’s only been 2-3 years-ish since music has 100% been in their hands, and a major change in visual/drill writers each year. Let’s wait till we see the finished product on the field and then have an opinion? 

• Thanks 2

So, did the dress rehearsal happen tonight?

There was some stuff posted in regards to warmups, and an Encore (Elsa's, to be specific). Apparently Phantom wanted a donor only livestream. Haven't seen a publicly available recording yet.

18 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would say that design wise, he definitely doesn't shine like some of the more experienced designers at the top of the heap. But to be fair, he also hasn't been doing this for 20 years either. He needs some seasoning.

I like what I see (hear) from them this year as far as the brass book. The battery book seems a little heavy handed but I also have only heard anything of it in a 40 second snippet and then a standstill with HORRID acoustics for marching percussion. I'll withhold judgement until I see the entire package. And who knows, in 5 years or so maybe we'll be using phrases like 'Another brilliant Will Pitts design / arrangement." 

I hear you. I thought JD Shaw's first arrangement with Regiment in 2002 was pretty mediocre, and he came out of the gates in 2003 with an incredible and memorable show. And he hasn't looked back since. I'd argue that (i) while I found that 2002 show mediocre, it wasn't as mediocre as 2016-2018 Regiment, (ii) it only took him a year to blow me away, and (iii) he didn't have much drum corps arranging experience either (not sure about his high school arranging experience). 

I'm with you that Pitts needed time to grow into the position. But this is year 4, and Regiment finished in 11th last year (still weird to say). I'm with EricS - time for growing into the position is over.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bandguy78 said:

Hate to break it to you old timers, but the references to the past arrangers an regime are pointless. It’s pretty clear that the music team of Pitts/Ferguson/Brown are here to stay. 

That depends.  When competitive rank under their watch is no longer "here to stay", the staff often suffer the same fate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I hear you. I thought JD Shaw's first arrangement with Regiment in 2002 was pretty mediocre, and he came out of the gates in 2003 with an incredible and memorable show. And he hasn't looked back since. I'd argue that (i) while I found that 2002 show mediocre, it wasn't as mediocre as 2016-2018 Regiment, (ii) it only took him a year to blow me away, and (iii) he didn't have much drum corps arranging experience either (not sure about his high school arranging experience). 

I'm with you that Pitts needed time to grow into the position. But this is year 4, and Regiment finished in 11th last year (still weird to say). I'm with EricS - time for growing into the position is over.

I can see your point. And to be fully transparent, JD Shaw might just have a lot more talent than Pitt's does overall. I don't KNOW that is the case, but some people are just better at their craft than others. I think of things as 5 year plans most of the time with things like this. To come out of the gate firing would have been amazing but I just  don't know if it's realistic in most circumstances. This year is pivotal IMHO for PR and Pitt's. Let's see what happens and hope for the best. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EricS said:

What you want along with your "sect" of long time fans is going to destroy PR.  Sugar sweet shows of the past isn't going to cut it in today's DCI competitive environment.  Days of old shows are going to continue to lower PR's standing.  Low ratings don't attract top talented MMs or MONEY.  Consequently the corps will die.  I am Spartacus was good in 2008, but ain't gonna cut it in 2019.

Drops the mic and walks away!