2019 Phantom Regiment

9 hours ago, Rocketman said:

For one, I was quite responsive to Wills post on Facebook to contact him with ideas on music & or themes. Did I think any of my ideas would be picked? No. But I must have emailed a half dozen or so (with no response) before I gave up. There is little an alum can do when, for the most part, we are ignored by the organization. 

I am not one to be a cheer leader when there is nothing to cheer for.  What would I, or anyone for that matter,  have been able to do to stem the downward trend? Nothing! How can anyone not on staff affect the corps relevance or innovation other than to point out their concern? It saddens me to see corps like Mandarins besting the Regiment. However, they had a better product, so it wasn't really a surprise. The corps was lucky to finish 11th last year with that product. There were several corps below them that had better designed shows, including the Crossmen.

Lets say I had $1,000,000 to donate to the corps, is that all of the sudden going to make them relevant or innovative? Of course not. So, it's not a $$$ issue completely. I honestly don't know the answer to reversing the trend. I may be a 'homer' but I'm not myopic. I've seen many a post here and elsewhere after the concerts in the park that exclaimed, 'this is the best show they've had in years'. Yeah, how'd Phantasm turn out? Pretty poor. Great thought, poor design.

Perhaps the alumni need to be more vocal about our displeasure with the corps trajectory. Perhaps these concerns need to be directed to the corps rather than on here. Perhaps this one lone voice isn't enough to turn the tide.

I agree with many of your points Rocketman. As alumni we need to do a better job of directing our concerns to the BOD. While it makes for “lively” discussion on DCP,  the corps would be better served if we interacted with the folks who can actually effect change. I’m not sure Facebook is the route to go....

I disagree with you on the idea of more $$$ wouldn’t improve their design situation. The corps operates within a strict budget which also includes various educational camps throughout the year and musical outreach programs in Rockford. I would guess those programs don’t fund themselves and and in turn reduces the amount of money the corps allots for the marching program staff. Perhaps those programs should be spun off and  funded separately?

How about an alumni fundraising effort where the proceeds are earmarked not for general operating expenses but specifically for the marching program? I’m all for working with the BOD to improve the corps’ standing and I’d rather be investing my energy in achieving results where it matters than just talking about it.

Constuctive feedback welcomed.

” I AM REGIMENT”

12 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

How about an alumni fundraising effort where the proceeds are earmarked not for general operating expenses but specifically for the marching program? I’m all for working with the BOD to improve the corps’ standing and I’d rather be investing my energy in achieving results where it matters than just talking about it.

” I AM REGIMENT”

In so many other situations I would agree with you wholeheartedly, but with very few exceptions, drum corps seems to have alums, especially alums with dollars behind them, dictate how the corps should be run. 

Regarding the board, I do not believe I know anyone on Phantom’s board, so I cannot say one way or the other if it is cohesive and welcomes outside help, and whether it would consider alums as outsiders. Boston Crusaders could be an excellent resource. They are able to pay good salaries to staff, and yes they have well heeled corporate donors. Staff and donations did make possible a rise from a barely squeezed in finalist position in 2016 to a huge jump in placement,  but it did not happen instantly. Years prior, the board recruited members from a wide range of backgrounds and corps, they worked closely with Crusaders Senior and alums, and did a great job at public relations. It’s not perfect, and some of their formal rivals and current competitors may disagree with some of my points, but as someone who has been on healthy and unhealthy boards, it appears to me to be a good working model and one that can easily be applied to other corps.

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I agree with many of your points Rocketman. As alumni we need to do a better job of directing our concerns to the BOD. While it makes for “lively” discussion on DCP,  the corps would be better served if we interacted with the folks who can actually effect change. I’m not sure Facebook is the route to go....

I disagree with you on the idea of more $$$ wouldn’t improve their design situation. The corps operates within a strict budget which also includes various educational camps throughout the year and musical outreach programs in Rockford. I would guess those programs don’t fund themselves and and in turn reduces the amount of money the corps allots for the marching program staff. Perhaps those programs should be spun off and  funded separately?

” I AM REGIMENT”

AGREED!

However, it will take someone from the outside to monitor/ensure that those funds go where they are supposed to. 

While I have yet to see this thought posted, it may be time to pull a 'Crossmen' (i.e. move the corps to a market that is more conducive to financial support). Rockford is apparently not that market. While I would not like to see this happen, it is better than the corps disbanding.

So, what are those markets?

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

While I have yet to see this thought posted, it may be time to pull a 'Crossmen' (i.e. move the corps to a market that is more conducive to financial support). Rockford is apparently not that market. While I would not like to see this happen, it is better than the corps disbanding.

Man you opened a big can of worms.  You said it I didn't but there is merit.

AGREED!

However, it will take someone from the outside to monitor/ensure that those funds go where they are supposed to. 

I have suggested several times over the last couple years that a special campaign should be mounted to specifically fund salaries for the best designers money can buy.  And that given the purpose I suspect money would flood in.

Rockford’s economy has struggled for years and the fact that very few MMs are from the Rockford area the concept of moving the corps is a viable one. Not sure if the board would agree but the decision to move would have to be made at that level. I suggest Naperville,IL. FWIW

Was financial support the primary reason for the move, or a better/larger recruitment base ? ( no idea, just askin' ) 

For the Sky Ryders and their move to Texas, it was both. The kids came, but in the end the money didn't. 

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

In so many other situations I would agree with you wholeheartedly, but with very few exceptions, drum corps seems to have alums, especially alums with dollars behind them, dictate how the corps should be run. 

Regarding the board, I do not believe I know anyone on Phantom’s board, so I cannot say one way or the other if it is cohesive and welcomes outside help, and whether it would consider alums as outsiders. Boston Crusaders could be an excellent resource. They are able to pay good salaries to staff, and yes they have well heeled corporate donors. Staff and donations did make possible a rise from a barely squeezed in finalist position in 2016 to a huge jump in placement,  but it did not happen instantly. Years prior, the board recruited members from a wide range of backgrounds and corps, they worked closely with Crusaders Senior and alums, and did a great job at public relations. It’s not perfect, and some of their formal rivals and current competitors may disagree with some of my points, but as someone who has been on healthy and unhealthy boards, it appears to me to be a good working model and one that can easily be applied to other corps.

Thanks Tim K. I value your input. Frankly, The Crusaders were the corps I had in mind when I posted my thoughts. The combined efforts by the organization have benefitted the corps the past few seasons.

There are many, many programs in the Rockford area competing for fundraising dollars. Not enough to go around. Regiment needs to further explore corporate sponsorship. Given the number of alumni out there, the chances of one or two of those folks in a position to solicit sponsorship from the companies they work for should be good. 

As for approaching the board, I’m sure they would be open to fresh ideas to move Regiment forward.

28 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Rockford’s economy has struggled for years and the fact that very few MMs are from the Rockford area the concept of moving the corps is a viable one. Not sure if the board would agree but the decision to move would have to be made at that level. I suggest Naperville,IL. FWIW

I've always wondered if another corps could start / relocate to Bloomington, IN. You have a pretty good economy in a drum corps savvy town. The university is there and probably still quite a bit of design talent. I could be wrong on all those fronts but I would be interested in hearing the positives and negatives. 

• Like 3