2019 Phantom Regiment

8 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I liked what I saw and heard in the theater better than last year's show. But it was sloppy, especially compared to the other shows that followed. Anxious to see them progress over the next few weeks.

Phantom is going to be fine this year, they've got a great vehicle this year. Looking forward to seeing it polished up. 

• Like 1

Starting out sixth place behind the likes of Blue Stars and Boston isn’t exactly a stellar start.  DCI scoring ranking accurately foretells the end-season top-5 rather quickly. 

Tip:  unplug all the electronic crap and let them play their hearts out and watch them soar!

11 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

DCI scoring ranking accurately foretells the end-season top-5 rather quickly. 

Tip:  unplug all the electronic crap and let them play their hearts out and watch them soar!

This I gotta agree with. I don't think the show is top 5 design wise anyways, but they'll make finals I think.

It's the first show of the year. I can't think of a single season I marched in DCI or DCA where we didn't sound like shoes in a dryer at some parts on the first show. I always dreaded that first show battery judges tape. Dirt can be cleaned. And if the MM's are as bought into the show as they seem to be, they'll bust ### and clean it pretty quickly.

And unplugging.....THAT would have the potential to create something really special. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

5 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

This I gotta agree with. I don't think the show is top 5 design wise anyways, but they'll make finals I think. And unplugging.....THAT would have the potential to create something really special. 

got to agree with this completely. 

11 hours ago, EricS said:

Well............seems to me they were left behind tonight.  i was very disappointed in drill.

I feel bad for the ensemble because the drill is 100% holding it back, the other components seem to be trying really hard to make things work, it is just way too big of an obstacle to overcome.

Unfortunately, I see this falling out of finals without a big push and some bad luck from the neighborhood below them competitively.

The WORST part of this entire scenario is that the Concert in The Park shows us that the ensemble has turned the corner musically coming into this season, and has improved drastically.  None of that is translating because of visual demand (that mostly doesn't have payoff).

18 minutes ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

I feel bad for the ensemble because the drill is 100% holding it back, the other components seem to be trying really hard to make things work, it is just way too big of an obstacle to overcome.

I look for ward to seeing the show. Missing the opening in the theaters was a big downer for me and I didn't see anyone periscope the show. 

Ok, was it better than last year, or 2017, or 2016? Yes. Was it raising the bar for the corps? Yes. Was it raising the bar for the activity? No! Unlike last year, I feel there is a lot of room for character development, and that is the only hope they have to stay in the top 12. However, this is a bottom third (or lower) design right now.

1 hour ago, Land_Surfer said:

Starting out sixth place behind the likes of Blue Stars and Boston isn’t exactly a stellar start.  DCI scoring ranking accurately foretells the end-season top-5 rather quickly. 

Take each year as it comes. If Boston Crusaders placed as high as it did with a score similar to maybe 2016, that would be a problem, but Boston Crusaders has improved and it is not just luck.

Actually I saw some similarities to BAC in 2016 and Phantom last night. Boston Crusaders did not have a 12th place corps talent wise in 2016, the show just did not come together as hoped. Looking back, some tweaks would have improved things. Phantom has potential. There are some great elements in the show. Also last evening, I thought Phantom was a bit jittery, but a Blue Star parent pointed out the conditions were tricky at the stadium and Phantom was the first to experience it (actually Bloo was the first to experience it, but that’s another story). Let’s see how the season unfolds.