2019 Phantom Regiment

On 6/23/2019 at 10:19 AM, Rocketman said:

If the staff made the conscience decision to put out a basic show design and continually add elements as the season went on, IMO, that was a mistake. If you don't WOW people (judges) early on (8 points behind coats), you will not catch up.

If you put ANYTHING on the field to get judged that isn't fully produced, you deserve all the bad scoring. 

This is what happens when you create a staff full of "yes" men.  

Someone should've stood up and shown how bad of an idea that is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

When they lost JD and the Rennick's the quality of the show design went downhill fast. 

I thought the quality went downhill fast too. But Will and those that he's had to work with have taken it down FAR faster. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I thought the quality went downhill fast too. But Will and those that he's had to work with have taken it down FAR faster. 

7 hours ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

Will is the only common thread in the downward spiral. 

On 6/21/2019 at 11:08 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

How wonderful would it be if Jim Wren could write a brass book one more time!

Edited by fatbrassboy
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, fatbrassboy said:

How wonderful would it be if Jim Wren could write a brass book one more time!

See I never understood this.  Just four years prior to his retirement he arranged one of the best shows of all time A Defiant Heart.  The next year they took on The Ring, such an unappreciated show.  I've been listening to this show a lot lately, so powerful and difficult.  Then they hit the wall hard in 1998 and made a semi-recovery with an old-school arrangement of Tchaikovsky music.  There is so much more I feel Wren had left in his tank.  

Perhaps it was just his call to retire at the time, but I sure miss his arrangements and style he brought to the activity.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

See I never understood this.  Just four years prior to his retirement he arranged one of the best shows of all time A Defiant Heart.  The next year they took on The Ring, such an unappreciated show.  I've been listening to this show a lot lately, so powerful and difficult.  Then they hit the wall hard in 1998 and made a semi-recovery with an old-school arrangement of Tchaikovsky music.  There is so much more I feel Wren had left in his tank.  

Perhaps it was just his call to retire at the time, but I sure miss his arrangements and style he brought to the activity.  

Yeah, that's an understatement. He WAS the Regiment brass book. He wrote it. He defined it. He perfected it. It is history.

• Like 1

No one forced Jim out of the activity. You can ask him. He had accomplished so much in the activity and was trying to propel the group out of financial crisis by endorsing a new team to come in hoping to revive the organization. The corps was almost folding in that era and many people sacrificed a lot to try and save it. Jim, Dr. Dan, the Farrell family, Johnny B, and St.A... and so many more. 

Bringing Jim back will not revive the organization. That type of drum corps doesn't exist anymore. No need to chase it. 

Jim was also and still is one of the most widely respected arrangers of all time. No one relevant gives a #### about him not having a music degree and it was not relevant at the time in his decision (still isn't).