2019 Phantom Regiment

Okay Regiment alum, sound off! I let it be known that I was not pleased with their chosen theme when it was announced, feeling that it lacked creativity / originality. Spartacus 2.0 (essentially) wasn't going to cut it. There isn't enough time or design to get this show into top 12 contention, which is a shame. This is all on the staff and BOD (for either signing off on this  or not saying anything when this was brought up).

79 - 2nd

89 - 2nd

09 - 9th

19 - 15th? (if lucky)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Okay Regiment alum, sound off! I let it be known that I was not pleased with their chosen theme when it was announced, feeling that it lacked creativity / originality. Spartacus 2.0 (essentially) wasn't going to cut it. There isn't enough time or design to get this show into top 12 contention, which is a shame. This is all on the staff and BOD (for either signing off on this  or not saying anything when this was brought up).

79 - 2nd

89 - 2nd

09 - 9th

19 - 15th? (if lucky)

I'll reserve judgement for a bit longer. Scoring looks bad for sure, but I haven't seen or heard much of the of the show live. I like them musically from the what I've heard. Hope the visual can get better. They have some work to do. I hate them playing catch up all season. Tough way to go.

Edited by Kevlar496
Added word

They had a score increase last night which is good. It didn't jump 5 points but it's not going to at this stage. Gonna give it time for it to develop. By regionals we will know for sure.

6 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

They had a score increase last night which is good. It didn't jump 5 points but it's not going to at this stage. Gonna give it time for it to develop. By regionals we will know for sure.

They were also a point behind Spirit of Atlanta. When was the last time that happened? Was Jim Ott involved?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

They were also a point behind Spirit of Atlanta. When was the last time that happened? Was Jim Ott involved?

• Like 1

Phantom is a good case study of why you need an experienced designer at the helm to make all of the ideas that the arrangers and drill Writers have work together..

To pause and say what will marching around aimlessly do for the overall effect of the show, What good does playing a thousand notes during a Low Brass & Quad Soli do if it doesn't convey an emotional feeling, What in the world does any of this have to do with Joan?

A lot of these things should have been caught by a good Editorial designer. They would have said, Where is our focus, what are trying to convey, And what does it contribute to Joan.

At this point, they would have to re-write a couple of sections both in music and drill. They could stand for a couple of Breathing moments in the opener. Some arrival Points, where the show can breathe and the audience can appreciate how fast the opener is. Otherwise it feels like a run-on sentence.

And Their Transitions are just sloppy,  there is no structure to it, A Simple layering of responsibility to the scatter would focus the chaos. I would also consider dropping some of the tempos down 10 beats... in all of the fast sections so that the corps can sound and feel a little more mature.. 

It is possible to salvage this show but the designers are going to have to be smart to realize that they have perhaps over designed this show and that its time to bust out the editing pen.

And absolutely non of this is a slight on the performers, you can clearly see and hear that they have talent.

Pulling for you Phantom.. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Jim Ott passed away in 1980.

33 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I personally like the Regiment show - I think it's better than the last couple - lots of room and time to grow this season

But the problem is that every corps has that same amount of room and time to grow....