2019 Phantom Regiment

21 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Wild

Blue

Orchid.

Pardon my confusion, but wasn't Wild Blue Orchid good? What's the point you're trying to make? 

6 hours ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

... that's very close to the stupidest thing I've ever read in here and I've been here for over a decade. 

Don't keep us in suspense.  What's the stupidest?

Edited by skevinp
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheAngryBavarian said:

Pardon my confusion, but wasn't Wild Blue Orchid good? What's the point you're trying to make? 

Eh, just that "Phantasm" seemed very much inspired by the worst elements of "Wild Blue Orchid".

For a BOA show, "Wild Blue Orchid" was very well performed. (On a BOA scale, I would say "Phantasm" was about 20 points better.) And the design was very good in sheer logistical terms. But the concept only works if you assume everybody on the design team were deliberately not taking the theme seriously.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Eh, just that "Phantasm" seemed very much inspired by the worst elements of "Wild Blue Orchid".

For a BOA show, "Wild Blue Orchid" was very well performed. (On a BOA scale, I would say "Phantasm" was about 20 points better.) And the design was very good in sheer logistical terms. But the concept only works if you assume everybody on the design team were deliberately not taking the theme seriously.

Phantasm was a recycled Wes Cartwright show, which I’m sure you know as I have also been on the BOA boards. It certainly wasn’t the best Wes could do for Phantom but it was a sophisticated program.  

I know many probably would disagree, but I think Wes is the designer that Phantom needs, a lot of Corps could do with a little lesson in coordination of elements and generating effect. I’m sorry that partnership ended after 2017.

Wes is probably the best designer in the pageantry activity (outside of probably Michael Gaines and Chandler IMO). I don’t know what the worst elements of wild blue orchid were, but if Phantom had a show this year even close to the level of design that show had, we certainly wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.

Edited by WarriorWay

3 hours ago, Continental said:

The show isn't that bad.  It's already better than last year.  There are some nice moments particularly the music in the last half. 

There are some things I think are easy to fix.  The "bopping" during Vox Populi is very awkward.  They look like a bunch of nervous teens at a high-school dance.   They could do without the bopping.  

The props look like Sukkot huts.  Its hard to make out what is going on at times.  At one point in the show "Joan" is on one of them with the corps surrounding her.  It's placed too far back for any effect.

I would also ditch the "I am Joan" part.  It's really cringe worthy.  

I still don't like the break in FoE, and yes, the "I Am Joan" just doesn't work.  Comes across as a desperate attempt to trade on past glory--as does the corps' entrance, more than just a little reminiscent of Into the Light.

Agreed with the huts. It's kind of like they're trying to do a variant on Stations of the Cross or something, but it's hard to make out the visual.

There seem to be lots of phasing issues (could have just been a bad recording, I guess).

Having the corp change uniforms piecemeal doesn't work; there's not enough visual impact.

It's not so much that Joan's story isn't being told (though it isn't), it's just that the visual elements aren't effective.  I'm at a loss as to the story the Mandarins are trying to tell in SubTerra, but it's still fun to watch.  

The decision to split up fire of eternal glory the way they did is the worst design decision of this show in my opinion. It's like they couldn't think of a good closer so they were like "you know what? How about we double dip and use half of the piece for our ballad and the other half for our closer? Brilliant!"

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

I know many probably would disagree, but I think Wes is the designer that Phantom needs, a lot of Corps could do with a little lesson in coordination of elements and generating effect. I’m sorry that partnership ended after 2017.

It doesn't matter how awesome a designer is if only a handful of people are willing to work with them because they're grandiloquent and abusive. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

It’s ‘86 all over again, which could mean Cesario, Dan the Man and Mr. Jim could all be back next year.  I would pay $1,000 to watch one of their shows again and see what they could pull off.  What a show it would be... “old school,” if just for one season.  It truly would be “From the New World  to the New Age,” Regiment Style... dark, rich and soulful with some major structure damage sprinkled hear and there.  It’s ok to dream, right? 

Only in ‘86 they were never at a threat for falling out of finals. They were 9th most of the season.

Right now, they are conceivably out of finals. We haven’t seen BK yet, but I would be shocked if they would be behind Regiment, so the top 10 from last year are already ahead. Spirit and Crossmen knock Regiment to 13th, and it’s possible that Academy is ahead (their show is considerably better) of them right now, and Colts have a better product, so 15th is within the scope of possibility at season’s end. So so sad.

Yes, they have potential, but Regiment isn’t a come from behind corps anymore, and you need a better design to come from behind. It’s just not there. I’m not holding my breath only to be disappointed. 

Edited by queenanne_1536

19 minutes ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

It doesn't matter how awesome a designer is if only a handful of people are willing to work with them because they're grandiloquent and abusive. 

Wes is hardly a Marc Sylvester. Phantom has had multiple shots to latch on to quality designers. Maybe they can turn it around but it takes realizing an issue in order to fix it.