2019 Phantom Regiment

I feel bad for the PR design team, maybe they thought they had a solid design but the structural design of the show isn't there and the execution is way off (for now) or maybe they have a young group that isn't rising to the levels of the staff, I don't know? PR members and staff are working with a show that they were given and designed and now both need to deliver a worthy finals caliber show. But I bet that they are hearing it from the judges across all captions. So all the could of, would of, should of is pointless. Let the season evolve and play out. Maybe PR will surprise everyone and over come early season obstacles and surprise everyone. Best of luck PR! I will keep an open mind.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Dog said:

As an alum, I am just saddened by their recent drop..........seeing them last year was baaaaaad........no impact moments to me. 

And really the last few years as well. Its hard for me to watch them freefall, and go on so early in shows now. I credit the competition level and kudos to those corps who are doing well, but man.....no excuse for phantom to freefall. I hate to say it, but I fully expect them to miss finals. Just being realistic given what the board is saying and what i've seen over the last few years. 

Just disheartening.......

I am also an alum and am saddened by the decline over the last several years. I will always pull for them but it seems that big changes will be needed to right the ship. And those seem more distant with each passing year.

• Like 3

All of these Regiment alums bummed with recent Regiment shows and placement falls sorta bums me out too having competed with them so frequently back in (as we old guys say) "the day". PR is a legendary and proud organization and while I certainly don't have the answers to bring back the glory, I'm reminded of the education I got right here on DCP about the Blue Stars and their long journey back to Finals much of that due to the work and dedication of their alumni. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

All of these Regiment alums bummed with recent Regiment shows and placement falls sorta bums me out too having competed with them so frequently back in (as we old guys say) "the day". PR is a legendary and proud organization and while I certainly don't have the answers to bring back the glory, I'm reminded of the education I got right here on DCP about the Blue Stars and their long journey back to Finals much of that due to the work and dedication of their alumni. 

Agreed. While it’s good for the activity that so many “new faces” are doing well, I too get a little bummed when Phantom/Madison/Cadets aren’t at the top of their game. I am happy though that the Cavaliers have gotten over their hump we saw in 2012-15.

49 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

PR alumni have offered help for many years, but have been turned away up until recently. PR has many professional musicians (principle at Met Opera, NOLA Philharmonic, Disney, DCI judge, music directors at universities, percussion heads, many in Commander's Own, etc.) Lots of opportunities there if only they were welcomed to contribute.

Edited by fatbrassboy
additional information
  • Like 1

That's pretty sad, FBB. One of the life bloods of all active corps now should be their alumni. Do you think the rejections came as a result of (and I'm totally guessing here ) outsider influence and power of the corps?  Greenblue spoke of the Cavaliers and I know there are people involved with them who've been involved in some way for decades. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

That's pretty sad, FBB. One of the life bloods of all active corps now should be their alumni. Do you think the rejections came as a result of (and I'm totally guessing here ) outsider influence and power of the corps?  Greenblue spoke of the Cavaliers and I know there are people involved with them who've been involved in some way for decades. 

It truly is and you are right about the rejections. Imagine the possibilities when the load and expertise is shared.

1 hour ago, fatbrassboy said:

PR alumni have offered help for many years, but have been turned away up until recently. PR has many professional musicians (principle at Met Opera, NOLA Philharmonic, Disney, DCI judge, music directors at universities, percussion heads, many in Commander's Own, etc.) Lots of opportunities there if only they were welcomed to contribute.

I feel like many think the lack of response to alumni is because of the threat of losing control or having to share creative control or power. Most program coordinators would probably shy away from being involved in a situation where their designs could simply be overriden by a group of alumni. But I don't truly believe ot would work that way anyways. 

I think the fear of alumni is that they way want to go backwards sometimes to the "Back in the day we did ______" types of things. The designers are always trying to move forward and the fear that a strong alumni control could hold a corps back visually might be very real. What's needed is a balance. I wish I knew what that looked like. 

16 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I feel like many think the lack of response to alumni is because of the threat of losing control or having to share creative control or power. Most program coordinators would probably shy away from being involved in a situation where their designs could simply be overriden by a group of alumni. But I don't truly believe ot would work that way anyways. 

I think the fear of alumni is that they way want to go backwards sometimes to the "Back in the day we did ______" types of things. The designers are always trying to move forward and the fear that a strong alumni control could hold a corps back visually might be very real. What's needed is a balance. I wish I knew what that looked like. 

I'm not saying that the alumni should design a show, but that the staff should accept help from these professionals when offered for technique, etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fatbrassboy said:

I'm not saying that the alumni should design a show, but that the staff should accept help from these professionals when offered for technique, etc.

Oh I absolutely don't think you did. I think that could be the FEAR though that many organizations could have. I think the offerings of Alumni support are vitally important for any corps. Far too often, I think many organizations look to Alumni as a financial piece of the puzzle only.

Though a poor comparison (And I know I'll be called out on it,) think of the current situation at my Alma Mater (U. of Alabama.) they gave back a 21.5 million dollar donation. They cited (though it's debatable,) that they feared the donating party was demanding that changes which he demanded be implemented in return for his "gift." 

Although drum corps is different, the fear of losing creative control could be an understandable one even if it doesn't actually happen. 

In regards to professionals being used who are alumni, I feel this is great. As long as they can be vetted, their expertise could be very much of use. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever