2019 Phantom Regiment

3 minutes ago, geluf said:

I think that's a bit much.  Plenty of corps exist in the semi-finals realm and have for quite some time.  Madison is going over ten years of downturn, competitively, as an example.

Perhaps. But the Regiment has been attempting to 'play the game' on their own terms and it has produced one bad show after another. The only thing they have going for them that might keep them from oblivion is the lack of options for corps members. 'Well, none of the corps I wanted to go to have spots, guess I'll try out for Regiment'. How sad is that?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Perhaps. But the Regiment has been attempting to 'play the game' on their own terms and it has produced one bad show after another. The only thing they have going for them that might keep them from oblivion is the lack of options for corps members. 'Well, none of the corps I wanted to go to have spots, guess I'll try out for Regiment'. How sad is that?

Not sad at all. Maybe the administration will learn how other corps felt when they desired to relegate and demote all but themselves and the others in the G7. If they really learn that, my respect shall return for at least one of the seven.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricS said:

A DCP friend who was in the corps when a certain designer was once said to me that this person was very self absorbed and took himself way to seriously and stood aside from others for fearr of his self appointed importance being questioned.   This type of personality would not welcome any outside involvement.

Crap...and nasty crap @ that.

A friend of a friend of a friend marched with XYZ corps and they smoked weed before and after performances. This is not valuable info to the discussion.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fatbrassboy said:

PR alumni have offered help for many years, but have been turned away up until recently. PR has many professional musicians (principle at Met Opera, NOLA Philharmonic, Disney, DCI judge, music directors at universities, percussion heads, many in Commander's Own, etc.) Lots of opportunities there if only they were welcomed to contribute.

I get that you and others on this thread are trying to help make things better in an empathetic and caring way. While there is some logic to the thought that alumni that are highly successful in related fields could possibly help make design and instruction better through their own professional prowess, such is quite a slippery slope and by and large shown by similar past interventions, by successful alumni at other corps, to be a disaster. There are so many passionate drum corps fans, including those on DCP, that I do not wish to offend, but I regularly get the sense that most think the the design and competitive game is MUCH easier than it actually is. There are NO examples of designers out there that are overtly successful designing drum corps shows unless they are actively in "the business". Here's how "the business" looks in 2019: 1) The design team resume includes past successful drum corps design and instructional competitive success, 2) the design team resume includes BOA and state marching band competitive success, 3) the design team resume includes design and instructional success in WGI (at least two if not all three divisions), 4) the design team resume includes electronic and acoustic manipulation and design success,  5) the design team resume includes extensive experiences in the following: dance, theater, art music, visual art, and possibly architecture, etc., 6) The design team includes members with extensive judging experiences in BOA, WGI, state circuits, etc.  Case in point: Madison Scouts hired alum, DCI judges, distant past instructors and thought all would be well. 

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not sad at all. Maybe the administration will learn how other corps felt when they desired to relegate and demote all but themselves and the others in the G7. If they really learn that, my respect shall return for at least one of the seven.

Umm, the G7? That's pretty much over now. The TOC is gone, etc. How is that statement even relevant to the conversation?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EricS said:

A DCP friend who was in the corps when a certain designer was once said to me that this person was very self absorbed and took himself way to seriously and stood aside from others for fearr of his self appointed importance being questioned.   This type of personality would not welcome any outside involvement.

Lol. I would want to say “gurl, it’s marching band get over yourself”.

57 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Crap...and nasty crap @ that.

A friend of a friend of a friend marched with XYZ corps and they smoked weed before and after performances. This is not valuable info to the discussion.

You've supported them for years.  Some of the others on here are the same ones who have knocked them for years. A couple of them were quite desperate for Dan Farrell to be gone saying how much he was responsible for something or other. 

Now Will Pitts is the target.

You represent your corps and the experience you had with them well. Because of this I listen to what you say with more than a grain of salt.   

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

As an alum from the 'good old days', I don't want the glory days back, that simply isn't going to happen. What I want is for them to be relevant. That could be taken any number of ways so, lets say, I want them to be competitive. They haven't been for 1/2 a decade or more. The designs have been mediocre at best. This year is an example of the lack of an original thought (Joan). The uniform/costume changes make no sense, the props seem to be there just to say 'we have props' (I'm hoping they will be utilized more going forward), visual design is, at a minimum, five years behind the times, I could go on.

My biggest concern is, if they continue the trend (downward), they may cease to exist. I know it sounds extreme however, they are (IMO) no longer considered a 'destination' corps.

For relevance we need look no further than one of the corps that will probably knock them out of finals. Spirit of Atlanta. A corps that overcame problems of their own not that long ago. They have a great show with contemporary music that looks like a blast to perform for the members. They’ve reinvented themselves while still being true to their spirit. 

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Umm, the G7? That's pretty much over now. The TOC is gone, etc. How is that statement even relevant to the conversation?

The other member corps did stop it. True. The proposal was shuttered. Also true. But with no apology, no remorse from the 7; and just a hope by the non-7 it would just go away by ignoring the underlying problem. But with the exception of the administration clean out at the Cadets, the deep seeded arrogance which created the problem is still there underneath simmering with those corps. They did not relent out of a change of heart, but by force. At least 4 if not 5 would still go that direction if it were possible. So, if the experience Regiment could feel by possibly being a second or third choice, they might become humbled enough to realize how arrogant they had been. That is why I do not find it sad.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, phan771 said:

I get that you and others on this thread are trying to help make things better in an empathetic and caring way. While there is some logic to the thought that alumni that are highly successful in related fields could possibly help make design and instruction better through their own professional prowess, such is quite a slippery slope and by and large shown by similar past interventions, by successful alumni at other corps, to be a disaster. There are so many passionate drum corps fans, including those on DCP, that I do not wish to offend, but I regularly get the sense that most think the the design and competitive game is MUCH easier than it actually is. There are NO examples of designers out there that are overtly successful designing drum corps shows unless they are actively in "the business". Here's how "the business" looks in 2019: 1) The design team resume includes past successful drum corps design and instructional competitive success, 2) the design team resume includes BOA and state marching band competitive success, 3) the design team resume includes design and instructional success in WGI (at least two if not all three divisions), 4) the design team resume includes electronic and acoustic manipulation and design success,  5) the design team resume includes extensive experiences in the following: dance, theater, art music, visual art, and possibly architecture, etc., 6) The design team includes members with extensive judging experiences in BOA, WGI, state circuits, etc.  Case in point: Madison Scouts hired alum, DCI judges, distant past instructors and thought all would be well. 

Again, not talking about design at all. I'm talking about basics. If the corps could afford to bring in John Wooton or Jeff Prosperie for the battery, it would do wonders. Peter Bond or Robert Nunez for the brass basics would have them back to the powerhouse for which they are known. These guys would rival Rennick and Shaw no doubt.

Edited by fatbrassboy
correct spelling
  • Like 1