2019 Phantom Regiment

31 minutes ago, fatbrassboy said:

Again, not talking about design at all. I'm talking about basics. If the corps could afford to bring in John Wooton or Jeff Prosperie for the battery, it would do wonders. Peter Bond or Robert Nunez for the brass basics would have them back to the powerhouse for which they are known. These guys would rival Rennick and Shaw no doubt.

I always wonder what happened to Peter Bond. I mean I know he’s with the MET but why his time ended with Regiment.  Those were some wicked lines with good technique he taught. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rocketman said:

As an alum from the 'good old days', I don't want the glory days back, that simply isn't going to happen. What I want is for them to be relevant. That could be taken any number of ways so, lets say, I want them to be competitive. They haven't been for 1/2 a decade or more. The designs have been mediocre at best. This year is an example of the lack of an original thought (Joan). The uniform/costume changes make no sense, the props seem to be there just to say 'we have props' (I'm hoping they will be utilized more going forward), visual design is, at a minimum, five years behind the times, I could go on.

My biggest concern is, if they continue the trend (downward), they may cease to exist. I know it sounds extreme however, they are (IMO) no longer considered a 'destination' corps.

Exactly this. I just don’t understand the failings. I mean, I’m not qualified to be a designer, but I know the design is poor. How? Because it’s so easy to see the great designs and the good designs out there, and to understand the difference. I just don’t see why the administrations at Madison and Phantom can’t see what’s right in front of their faces. In all likelihood, Joan is going to be sitting in 14th or 15th place in semifinals and that’s really sad. I’m heartbroken over what’s happened to both Regiment and Madison. Just heartbroken. 

58 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly this. I just don’t understand the failings. I mean, I’m not qualified to be a designer, but I know the design is poor. How? Because it’s so easy to see the great designs and the good designs out there, and to understand the difference. I just don’t see why the administrations at Madison and Phantom can’t see what’s right in front of their faces. In all likelihood, Joan is going to be sitting in 14th or 15th place in semifinals and that’s really sad. I’m heartbroken over what’s happened to both Regiment and Madison. Just heartbroken. 

Ostriches. Heads in the sand.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, phan771 said:

I get that you and others on this thread are trying to help make things better in an empathetic and caring way. While there is some logic to the thought that alumni that are highly successful in related fields could possibly help make design and instruction better through their own professional prowess, such is quite a slippery slope and by and large shown by similar past interventions, by successful alumni at other corps, to be a disaster. There are so many passionate drum corps fans, including those on DCP, that I do not wish to offend, but I regularly get the sense that most think the the design and competitive game is MUCH easier than it actually is. There are NO examples of designers out there that are overtly successful designing drum corps shows unless they are actively in "the business". Here's how "the business" looks in 2019: 1) The design team resume includes past successful drum corps design and instructional competitive success, 2) the design team resume includes BOA and state marching band competitive success, 3) the design team resume includes design and instructional success in WGI (at least two if not all three divisions), 4) the design team resume includes electronic and acoustic manipulation and design success,  5) the design team resume includes extensive experiences in the following: dance, theater, art music, visual art, and possibly architecture, etc., 6) The design team includes members with extensive judging experiences in BOA, WGI, state circuits, etc.  Case in point: Madison Scouts hired alum, DCI judges, distant past instructors and thought all would be well. 

I think this is a pretty accurate description. And there probably is not a gigantic pool of folks who check every box on that list. 

I would agree there is trendous alumni talent across all of DCI. And though not all could design a successful show, their talents in most cases are under utilized. But it's also difficult to manage if you add too many voices to the conversation. The staff has to get behind the design and not have infighting. I imagine that's not the easist thing to manage. 

Now alumni campaign designated to specifically hire the best of the best..... I can get behimd that. #### it worked for Star even though the money was made / donated in a different way. People can sneer and go on about the best drum corps that "money can buy," but it works.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think this is a pretty accurate description. And there probably is not a gigantic pool of folks who check every box on that list. 

I would agree there is trendous alumni talent across all of DCI. And though not all could design a successful show, their talents in most cases are under utilized. But it's also difficult to manage if you add too many voices to the conversation. The staff has to get behind the design and not have infighting. I imagine that's not the easist thing to manage. 

Now alumni campaign designated to specifically hire the best of the best..... I can get behimd that. #### it worked for Star even though the money was made / donated in a different way. People can sneer and go on about the best drum corps that "money can buy," but it works.

That's the tricky part. How does anyone go about telling the current staff/BOD/administration that we don't have the 'best that money can buy"? 

2 minutes ago, fatbrassboy said:

That's the tricky part. How does anyone go about telling the current staff/BOD/administration that we don't have the 'best that money can buy"? 

Send them a chart graphing PRs placement over the last ten years?

Video of last year's show?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, fatbrassboy said:

I don't think telling is going to do anything. The complete lack of self-awareness and Madison and Regiment is astounding. It's not like what works, from a design and show construction standpoint, is some big secret. It's free. It's out there for everyone to see. I just don't get it. 

Good grief, and this point if I were Regiment I would start copying the top corps in terms of design and show construction.

• Like 1