2019 Phantom Regiment

3 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Really happy to see the progress this show is making. I had written them off. Glad I was so wrong.

Queenanne, Never thought you had written them off...,.You just questioned their trajectory, as have many. I think in your heart of hearts you didn’t give up on them.you wanted them to fair better. While we all want to see them battling for a medal, we have to be persistent on support of their forward momentum....whatever that entails.

3 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Queenanne, Never thought you had written them off...,.You just questioned their trajectory, as have many. I think in your heart of hearts you didn’t give up on them.you wanted them to fair better. While we all want to see them battling for a medal, we have to be persistent on support of their forward momentum....whatever that entails.

In my heart I wanted better for them, but last week I had written them off for making finals. 100%. But thanks for the nice words. It's good to be wrong more often than being right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

In my heart I wanted better for them, but last week I had written them off for making finals. 100%. But thanks for the nice words. It's good to be wrong more often than being right.

We all want better for the corps, it’s what makes us a family....er phamily. Many don’t get that, but I know you do. This organization has survived for many, many years because of our commitment to the ideal. It’s up to us to help move the corps in a more competitive direction. Don’t Give up!

I offer you a heartfelt SUTA!

• Like 2

Getting closer to making finals isn't a victory. Getting closer to finals is the best thing for the kids. 

This staff deserves to go. In finals or out. 

Regiment's moral victories shouldn't be "making finals" or "beating spirit".

There's been enough time for this regime to show its true colors. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

Getting closer to making finals isn't a victory. Getting closer to finals is the best thing for the kids. 

Yes, you're absolutely right. It's the same with Madison. 12th, 13th or 16th should not be a success for either organization. 10th shouldn't even be considered a success. But, it would appear the show is better than the last two years, so that's a good thing. If I think, at the end of the season, that the show is better than the last two years and they place 12th, then that's a good thing. I'm more concerned about the design than placement, so if they end the year with a better design than the past two years, then they are heading in the right direction.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

Regiment cannot just keep changing staff -  let the current staff evolve to see what they can show.  This corps is becoming like contestants on the Bachelor.  At least they get a rose.   Remember Leon May's early work with Regiment?  Look at him now.  A corps kept him and let him evolve. 

I think Will Pitts needs to be outside of visual but I'm not saying get rid of him.  Brass and visual should not be combined. 

• Like 1

This show is so far above last year (and I stated this way back when) that it's not funny.  People were saying it's a talent thing...no no it's not.  Played with these kids, and yes they are young, they are fine.  The horn book has PLENTY of difficulty.  I haven't seen anything that sticks out from anyone else this year that's really any harder.  The enthusiasm I see from this group is amazing.  I can't wait to see them in a week or so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Continental said:

Remember Leon May's early work with Regiment? 

You mean the guy that wrote Avon, cut his teeth as the visual caption head and rewrite guy at Cadets, who SAVED the drum corps (PR) with a full drill rewrite in 2000 after they fired a bad writer?

Yea we all remember Leon. A PROVEN commodity. 

People keep coming into this thread acting like Leon May, JD Shaw, and Paul Rennick were unknown question marks when they started at PR.

The biggest case of revisionist history I've ever seen to try to prop up people who are CURRENTLY underperforming over people who were known. 

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

You mean the guy that wrote Avon, cut his teeth as the visual caption head and rewrite guy at Cadets, who SAVED the drum corps (PR) with a full drill rewrite in 2000 after they fired a bad writer?

Yea we all remember Leon. A PROVEN commodity. 

People keep coming into this thread acting like Leon May, JD Shaw, and Paul Rennick were unknown question marks when they started at PR.

The biggest case of revisionist history I've ever seen to try to prop up people who are CURRENTLY underperforming over people who were known. 

Not necessarily revisionist history but they achieved championship status while working with PR. That means they would have had to work alongside Dan Farrell. I don’t believe Dan was to blame for that staff leaving. I do believe the current director may have had something to do with that. He’s not drawing big named staff since then either. Hmmmm? Coincidence?

2 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Not necessarily revisionist history but they achieved championship status while working with PR. That means they would have had to work alongside Dan Farrell. I don’t believe Dan was to blame for that staff leaving. I do believe the current director may have had something to do with that. He’s not drawing big named staff since then either. Hmmmm? Coincidence?

I don't necessarily disagree. I'm just unsure of the specifics of those things. You may be right. 

I do know that JD, Paul, Klesch, Jamey, Adam Sage, those types weren't people cutting their teeth at Regiment. They weren't learning how to be good at PR. 

(This next section not directed at you,  SUTAsaurus.)

Is there a current PR designer or caption head that was successful in their role at another drum corps? 

Brad Toth is the only one that comes to mind. 

Will's stint with Spirit was a nonsucess that burnt to the ground. (I think the show was actually about fire.)

There has to be turnover for this to get better. No amount of optimism and sunshine puffing by others will make this a competitively viable staff. 

It takes 10 seconds of watching PR not interact with, move, or design engagement with their props to realize they're in trouble. 

• Like 2