2019 Phantom Regiment

This design is in no way "just the basics" . It has some nice ties to Regiment's history, and in a good way IMO. And there are some cool effects (guard in corps proper uniforms, trumpets switching between 2 instruments)

And from the early July video I'm guessing we might be seeing a chevron at/near the ending drill. Appropriate for the theme AND the corps history. 

I dont want to continue to bash other designs, but have you seen a higher scoring corps' slow motion version of their circle to box drill? And  pretty sure it will end with a slow motion version of the letter after Y -pull.   Zzzzzzz

Talking about scores and placements, as asked, what's good enough versus not good enough when it comes to scores and placements? I stopped caring about scores a long time ago. I usually disagree w the judges. (Fyi, some 'supporters' of a corps likely to be in the 7 or 8 slot are also complaining about their show, despite decent scores and placings)

The one knock I'll agree with is the initial dirtiness in the first few performances compared to others, but they seem to be cleaning up and tweaking the design nicely. 

22 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

So, if the corps moved into 8th place will you change your tune?

I know this was asked of somebody else, but I've been thinking about this myself...

To me, if this show finishes in 8th, it would be solely because the members got it there. The youtube vid shows a lot of progress, but it's still lags way behind what the top 8 are doing design wise. 

If you put this 2019 show in 2016, I think it'd finish in 8th, where the corps finished that year. So if they were programming this show back then, I'd say "well, it's a step back from the last few years, but not too far back." But in 2019, I'd say this show isn't far enough in the right direction that I'd be satisfied with the path the corps is on. 

So I wouldn't change my tune. I'm not comparing 2019 Phantom Regiment to 2016-2018 Phantom Regiment (if I were, I'd probably be happy). I'm comparing 2019 Phantom Regiment to what other corps in the 6-9 range are doing (and from what the corps used to be doing itself), and the design is still lagging. 

I care less about placement and more about having a good feeling about a competent and entertaining design. 

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

22 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

So, if the corps moved into 8th place will you change your tune?

I know this was asked of somebody else, but I've been thinking about this myself...

To me, if this show finishes in 8th, it would be solely because the members got it there. The youtube vid shows a lot of progress, but it's still lags way behind what the top 8 are doing design wise. 

If you put this 2019 show in 2016, I think it'd finish in 8th, where the corps finished that year. So if they were programming this show back then, I'd say "well, it's a step back from the last few years, but not too far back." But in 2019, I'd say this show isn't far enough in the right direction that I'd be satisfied with the path the corps is on. 

So I wouldn't change my tune. I'm not comparing 2019 Phantom Regiment to 2016-2018 Phantom Regiment (if I were, I'd probably be happy). I'm comparing 2019 Phantom Regiment to what other corps in the 6-9 range are doing (and from what the corps used to be doing itself), and the design is still lagging. 

I care less about placement and more about having a good feeling about a competent and entertaining design. 

I agree that the design does very little to complement the music, which is some of the best arranging and execution in several years. My reaction to the guard soloist sums up the entire visual design for me: stand still or slow down for one blasted second! It is so frenetic all the time there is no rise and fall to the story. It’s hard to have solid impact moments throughout the show when it’s like watching an ADHD kid chasing a squirrel.

Last comment is just my disappointment in Fire. I love Wren’s arrangement, and they’ve been performing it for years. I love how Juliet used Elsa’s and just tweaked it a little bit for effect. Sad 😢

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PRomoter said:

Thinking the singing at the end is hokey while not mentioning it at the opening shows that you don’t understand the story of JOA, nor the show concept. If you did, it would be one of your favorite moments.

posted from the DrumScorps app

i''m well aware of the storyline and the concept.  I still find the storyline, concept and especially the singing hokey and NO it ain't a favorite  moment. And while the drill is infinitely better it is still a rehash of parts of shows past.  There is certainly nothing innovative about it.   It should keep them in the top 12, but barely.  I hope in the future to see PR moving forward and not backward.

Another thing......those  big dark things in the background, are they supposed to be props?  There seems to be no interaction with them other than the corps hiding behind them in the first couple minutes of the show.  Since PR has yet to figure out that props (I personally hate them) are an integral part of drum corps shows now  and has yet to use them to it's advantage, they could be missing out on some much needed general effect points.

Edited by EricS

3 hours ago, billj said:

This design is in no way "just the basics" . It has some nice ties to Regiment's history, and in a good way IMO. And there are some cool effects (guard in corps proper uniforms, trumpets switching between 2 instruments)

And from the early July video I'm guessing we might be seeing a chevron at/near the ending drill. Appropriate for the theme AND the corps history. 

I dont want to continue to bash other designs, but have you seen a higher scoring corps' slow motion version of their circle to box drill? And  pretty sure it will end with a slow motion version of the letter after Y -pull.   Zzzzzzz

Talking about scores and placements, as asked, what's good enough versus not good enough when it comes to scores and placements? I stopped caring about scores a long time ago. I usually disagree w the judges. (Fyi, some 'supporters' of a corps likely to be in the 7 or 8 slot are also complaining about their show, despite decent scores and placings)

The one knock I'll agree with is the initial dirtiness in the first few performances compared to others, but they seem to be cleaning up and tweaking the design nicely. 

There are a lot of people who agree with you and don't care about scores and placement.  There are others, myself included, who think that if the corps ceases to remain relevant to and competitve in today's DCI activity it iis going to suffer severely.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EricS said:

There are a lot of people who agree with you and don't care about scores and placement.  There are others, myself included, who think that if the corps ceases to remain relevant to and competitve in today's DCI activity it iis going to suffer severely.

Those aren't necessarily two mutually exclusive things. For the sake of discussion, would you be willing to share your criteria for "relevance" as well as which corps currently meet that criteria right now?

We've heard the statements about how placement doesn't matter but this is a judged competition and not an exhibition.  Scores matter, and I see a direct correlation between the musical arrangement, the drill and execution.  The music is the driving force for the entire show.  

Someone mentioned how some staff see a great show in their minds but that to me is a pride thing.   If the judges thought they created a show that puts them in position to compete with the top corps they'd reward them for it. Compare the musical arrangements to the top 6 or 7 and its like night and day.  This is where I see a basic design compared to a professional design.  Phantom is very basic compared to the corps above them.  

If they continue on this path you won't have to worry about scores or placements.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, billj said:

Those aren't necessarily two mutually exclusive things. For the sake of discussion, would you be willing to share your criteria for "relevance" as well as which corps currently meet that criteria right now?

NO.  I can but I'm not about to open that can of worms, or beat a dead horse again.  Read back several pages and you should find the answers to your question.  No offense, just don't have the energy.

8 minutes ago, Phantombari1 said:

We've heard the statements about how placement doesn't matter but this is a judged competition and not an exhibition.  Scores matter, and I see a direct correlation between the musical arrangement, the drill and execution.  The music is the driving force for the entire show.  

Someone mentioned how some staff see a great show in their minds but that to me is a pride thing.   If the judges thought they created a show that puts them in position to compete with the top corps they'd reward them for it. Compare the musical arrangements to the top 6 or 7 and its like night and day.  This is where I see a basic design compared to a professional design.  Phantom is very basic compared to the corps above them.  

If they continue on this path you won't have to worry about scores or placements.

Thank you.