2019 Phantom Regiment

42 minutes ago, year1buick said:

It’s the smell, mostly. 😐

Is it rude to ask the patient to swish a little mouth wash before filling a cavity? Asking for a friend :guinesssmilie:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Is it rude to ask the patient to swish a little mouth wash before filling a cavity? Asking for a friend :guinesssmilie:

LOL, hell no. I once had to put toothpaste on the inside of my mask during an exam just to keep from gagging. 

• Haha 1

It is so nice to see people being positive on this thread.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

It is so nice to see people being positive on this thread.

It’s a thankless job, but somebody’s gotta do it!

SUTA

On 6/23/2019 at 10:08 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Ok. Just watched the show and this is just MHO and I don't feel like arguing about stuff today.

I don't get the first 1:10 of the show up until the first impact. With 2010 Into the Light, it worked for me because there was a brass build up and a huge front ensemble presence to that first hit (which still makes me grin from ear to ear.) You knew you were about to get your face melted off in classic PR style. Something just seems disjointed here. The battery sounds muddy as it moves through the back form in that opening segment. Now it's most likely just how they're positioned and the echo from the back stands. It just doesn't work the way I would expect it to because it isn't driving the build up forward into that opening hit. I'm sure the book is good but I can't hear it. 

I really don't like the "I am Joan" scream right before the hit. It would be different if it added something, but I don't feel like it does. Maybe that's just me. The high mark time into the "goose step" COULD be kinda cool but it's dirtier than my flam 7's and trust me, that's pretty bad. Maybe as the show develops and the story becomes a little more clear and clean it will make some sense.

There are some really good moments in the show that make me think they're making a turn in the right direction. I love the set at 4:24. It's well executed and it's clean. Some of the mini "park and bark" moments don't have that same level of execution...but it's early season. The beginning of the ballad feels like it builds too slowly and the MM's feel too spread out. I think of drill design like I look at Instructional Design (which is what I do for a living.) If you put something into a piece of training material, it HAS to add something. If it doesn't add anything, then it's just a distraction. Being so spread out had my eyes wandering around the field trying to figure out what the story was and that pulled me away from the small ensemble work of the brass and guard. It also made me notice that the props at the back of the field hadn't been utilized the entire show. Remember when you were marching and and you missed your cover in the company front and were just hanging out like a 3rd nipple? That's PR's props right now. Just my opinion. /shrug

My hope is that as the season progresses, we will see some vertical staging and actual use of the props. Again, if it doesn't ADD something it's a distraction. 

From 8:28 to the end....THANK YOU PHANTOM REGIMENT! I would say, the front ensemble during the singing portion needs to turn it down a little...or maybe a lot. Ok...a LOT. Maybe from like a 10 to a 2 volume wise. Vibes especially REALLY drown out everything else. 

Look, it's a good show. It could be a REALLY good show. Maybe as high as 8th or 9th. It's just visually not very good yet. Feet can be fixed, intonation and staging of small ensemble sections can be tweaked. Phantom isn't doomed in 2019. I don't think they're going to push any real boundaries and theme shows like this can be notoriously hard to pull off. The MM's aren't making the most out of the product that they've been given quite yet but that will take some time. And, the product that they've been given needs some real thought and consideration too. Hopefully PR is getting some good feedback from the judges and taking it to heart. 

Again just my opinion and feel feel to flame away. I don't read most words that have over 4 letters anyways. 

So I wanted to revisit my first impression of the show vs my impression of it now. I do this kind of self-analysis all the time as an instructional designer to find out if my training is effective. 

I don't get the first 1:10 of the show up until the first impact. With 2010 Into the Light, it worked for me because there was a brass build up and a huge front ensemble presence to that first hit (which still makes me grin from ear to ear.) You knew you were about to get your face melted off in classic PR style. Something just seems disjointed here. The battery sounds muddy as it moves through the back form in that opening segment. Now it's most likely just how they're positioned and the echo from the back stands. It just doesn't work the way I would expect it to because it isn't driving the build up forward into that opening hit. I'm sure the book is good but I can't hear it. 

Looking back the show at this point, the show is far less disjointed. It seems like the battery is coming through more clearly. I'm still uncertain about one battery segment where they're turned backfield. It doesn't take away from show, but it still doesn't add anything. The segmental work seems FAR cleaner than it was (as I suspected it would be.) I'm still looking for more build into that opening hit with some of the voicings and now, opposite of the first show, I can't hear the pit at all. For much of that first 1:30, the front ensemble is carrying the theme so they might want to bring up the front ensemble a little bit. But that's just my opinion. 

I really don't like the "I am Joan" scream right before the hit. It would be different if it added something, but I don't feel like it does. Maybe that's just me. The high mark time into the "goose step" COULD be kinda cool but it's dirtier than my flam 7's and trust me, that's pretty bad. Maybe as the show develops and the story becomes a little more clear and clean it will make some sense.

I still don't like the "I am Joan" scream. It just doesn't add anything to the concept of the show as I understand it. In fact, it's the only part of the show that identifies that it's a show about Joan of Arc IMHO and it STILL seems misplaced. This show is SO MUCH improved, but the theme doesn't tie to the music to the average listener. If you're going to do a theme show, the theme should be pretty clear for all 12 minutes. 

The high mark time into the "goose step" is much cleaner and I was wrong...it isn't as cool as I wanted it to be. The drill at that moment is too compressed for it to really stand out as anything more than a "hmmmm...that's interesting" kind of a moment. 

On the much improved front, really strong horn performance now in that section of the show. I wouldn't call it "classic PR sound" but it's balanced and it's well written. The battery music seems to have been cleaned to the point that I now understand how it's supposed to fit. There are still a few "odd battery moments" where it feels like a little bit of random noise, but I'm going to listen to it again. 

There are some really good moments in the show that make me think they're making a turn in the right direction. I love the set at 4:24. It's well executed and it's clean. Some of the mini "park and bark" moments don't have that same level of execution...but it's early season. The beginning of the ballad feels like it builds too slowly and the MM's feel too spread out. I think of drill design like I look at Instructional Design (which is what I do for a living.) If you put something into a piece of training material, it HAS to add something. If it doesn't add anything, then it's just a distraction. Being so spread out had my eyes wandering around the field trying to figure out what the story was and that pulled me away from the small ensemble work of the brass and guard. It also made me notice that the props at the back of the field hadn't been utilized the entire show. Remember when you were marching and and you missed your cover in the company front and were just hanging out like a 3rd nipple? That's PR's props right now. Just my opinion. /shrug

STILL love the set at 4:24. I think this is where I can really see some good things for PR moving forward. The small ensemble stuff is pretty hot. The ballad drill stuff is still a little spread out. I simply don't "get" the ballad I guess. My eyes are still wandering around the field looking for something to tie everything together. I will say that the build is stronger and musically, it sounds more like a ballad now. 

Props...Oh my....the props. So those of you who have judged in the visual or GE captions before, what would happen if a corps just...didn't have props? Would it be any worse than having props that never move and seemingly have no purpose? To me, they're just a distraction. They're an elephant in the room for me. 

From 8:28 to the end....THANK YOU PHANTOM REGIMENT! I would say, the front ensemble during the singing portion needs to turn it down a little...or maybe a lot. Ok...a LOT. Maybe from like a 10 to a 2 volume wise. Vibes especially REALLY drown out everything else. 

You fixed the volume on the vibes! Still love the last 1/4 of the show. Now I just want it louder and more in my face. In the past, there would be a kick stop or a chevron or something that made me say "#### yes!" at the end of the show along with some melt my face off brass moment. I wants it...I NEEDS it and most of all, I EXPECT it. That's the problem with being great for so long. You set the expectation, now you have to live with that expectation. 

Overall, this show is coming out exactly as I suspected it would. It's somewhere in the 8-10th spot depending on how much they can continue to clean. I said before that they're placement will be top 12 and WHERE in the top 12 will depend on when they peak and how much room to grow in score they have vs the others at the bottom 1/4. If the potential is there for tremendous growth score wise, it seems like the members and staff are up to the task (as they've shown so far.) If there isn't much more room for improvement, I STILL think it's a top 12 show, just maybe in the 11th or 12th spot. I'm personally proud of this corps. Work ethic and faith in your team and each other goes a LONG way me. It's about living up to the potential you have and this corps is showing just that. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

Just a quick note for those who keep mentioning the chevron and kick halts at the end of the show: those are a bit of a reward to the corps and for the audience at the end of the season and aren’t added until the last few performances.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

So I wanted to revisit my first impression of the show vs my impression of it now. I do this kind of self-analysis all the time as an instructional designer to find out if my training is effective. 

Looking back the show at this point, the show is far less disjointed. It seems like the battery is coming through more clearly. I'm still uncertain about one battery segment where they're turned backfield. It doesn't take away from show, but it still doesn't add anything. The segmental work seems FAR cleaner than it was (as I suspected it would be.) I'm still looking for more build into that opening hit with some of the voicings and now, opposite of the first show, I can't hear the pit at all. For much of that first 1:30, the front ensemble is carrying the theme so they might want to bring up the front ensemble a little bit. But that's just my opinion. 

I still don't like the "I am Joan" scream. It just doesn't add anything to the concept of the show as I understand it. In fact, it's the only part of the show that identifies that it's a show about Joan of Arc IMHO and it STILL seems misplaced. This show is SO MUCH improved, but the theme doesn't tie to the music to the average listener. If you're going to do a theme show, the theme should be pretty clear for all 12 minutes. 

The high mark time into the "goose step" is much cleaner and I was wrong...it isn't as cool as I wanted it to be. The drill at that moment is too compressed for it to really stand out as anything more than a "hmmmm...that's interesting" kind of a moment. 

On the much improved front, really strong horn performance now in that section of the show. I wouldn't call it "classic PR sound" but it's balanced and it's well written. The battery music seems to have been cleaned to the point that I now understand how it's supposed to fit. There are still a few "odd battery moments" where it feels like a little bit of random noise, but I'm going to listen to it again. 

STILL love the set at 4:24. I think this is where I can really see some good things for PR moving forward. The small ensemble stuff is pretty hot. The ballad drill stuff is still a little spread out. I simply don't "get" the ballad I guess. My eyes are still wandering around the field looking for something to tie everything together. I will say that the build is stronger and musically, it sounds more like a ballad now. 

Props...Oh my....the props. So those of you who have judged in the visual or GE captions before, what would happen if a corps just...didn't have props? Would it be any worse than having props that never move and seemingly have no purpose? To me, they're just a distraction. They're an elephant in the room for me. 

You fixed the volume on the vibes! Still love the last 1/4 of the show. Now I just want it louder and more in my face. In the past, there would be a kick stop or a chevron or something that made me say "#### yes!" at the end of the show along with some melt my face off brass moment. I wants it...I NEEDS it and most of all, I EXPECT it. That's the problem with being great for so long. You set the expectation, now you have to live with that expectation. 

Overall, this show is coming out exactly as I suspected it would. It's somewhere in the 8-10th spot depending on how much they can continue to clean. I said before that they're placement will be top 12 and WHERE in the top 12 will depend on when they peak and how much room to grow in score they have vs the others at the bottom 1/4. If the potential is there for tremendous growth score wise, it seems like the members and staff are up to the task (as they've shown so far.) If there isn't much more room for improvement, I STILL think it's a top 12 show, just maybe in the 11th or 12th spot. I'm personally proud of this corps. Work ethic and faith in your team and each other goes a LONG way me. It's about living up to the potential you have and this corps is showing just that. 

Thank you for your deep, heartfelt analysis. It’s refreshing  to see some real thought and reasoning behind an opinion. I’m anxious to compare notes in the next few weeks.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Yup, SUTAville, the best of the Nicevilles, USA.

Sux to be that jaded......Now, get off my yard!

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Haha 1