2019 Phantom Regiment

I see brass as the main issue still.  Percussion and visual program have progressed a ton.  Programing wise this show probably maxes out around 8th...my ears are saying it’s mostly an endurance and balance issues with the brass...so keep conditioning and working on the ensemble.

14 minutes ago, Sideways said:

I see brass as the main issue still.  Percussion and visual program have progressed a ton.  Programing wise this show probably maxes out around 8th...my ears are saying it’s mostly an endurance and balance issues with the brass...so keep conditioning and working on the ensemble.

I would agree. I don't know if the percussion is really an 8th place line from a battery perspective and I haven't gotten a good read on the front ensemble yet past the first show to get an overall impression. It's a strong battery but there are some significant gaps between a top 6 or 8 battery and a 9th-12th battery. The book listening to lot videos says 6th - 8th. But hearing it on the move to my ears says 9th-12th. 

Ok, my quick take after seeing them live in STL

They are better, much better than last two years.......i liked this show vs last couple which to me were very very lame and flat. . It had some nice impact moments. I didn't care for the Battle Cry singing, it was cringy.

But this show is better, i was a proud alum.....

That Bluecoats show is top level stuff.  I will say that is one of the better shows i've seen in a long time. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping to see a video of a recent Regiment competition performance (July 12-14). I can't find one online but if anyone knows of a link, I'd appreciate a PM. Sorry if I'm breaking any forum rules with my request. Go Regiment!

To free Will P. for more time to work with improving Regiment Brass, Tom Blair, himself a DCI percussion alum, should switch Will's camera duties to the snare from Crown who now only uses one stick.  He can interview with that same perspective Will had as a fmm. But then again, maybe CC will find that snare player a new job. Koji and PR did for Will, and he was dead!🙂

Looks like El Dorado was pretty liberal with the scores last night.

posted from the DrumScorps app

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:48 AM, Sideways said:

Programing wise this show probably maxes out around 8th...

I would like to agree, but the reality is, design wise, this show is not even really top 12. It and they have gotten better, but there are better designed shows certainly everyone above them and even a few below, have put more thought into the overall design. I'm not saying I like them, I'm saying that they are more in line with the direction of the activity than Regiment (Spirit, Colts, Academy).

Finally got to see the show for the first time, after hearing it several times.  The uniform change is kind of wasted in that it takes like the whole middle 3rd of the show.  Also, if there's a thread/plot going on out there, I'm totally missing it.  😞  

From my armchair designer perspective, it seems like this would be a much clearer program if they had put the drum break before the ballad, played the full ballad without interruption, let Joan pray up to the big hit, burned up Joan during the big hit (sorry, Joan), tossed the black uniforms on the pyre, and then played Vox Populii as an upbeat (and much more electronic/modern) closer about taking Joan's faith in a better world to heart.  And I would have put the bright ending trumpet fanfare from O Fortuna at the end instead of a restatement of the dark opening lyrics.

Mike

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Finally got to see the show for the first time, after hearing it several times.  The uniform change is kind of wasted in that it takes like the whole middle 3rd of the show.  Also, if there's a thread/plot going on out there, I'm totally missing it.  😞  

From my armchair designer perspective, it seems like this would be a much clearer program if they had put the drum break before the ballad, played the full ballad without interruption, let Joan pray up to the big hit, burned up Joan during the big hit (sorry, Joan), tossed the black uniforms on the pyre, and then played Vox Populii as an upbeat (and much more electronic/modern) closer about taking Joan's faith in a better world to heart.  And I would have put the bright ending trumpet fanfare from O Fortuna at the end instead of a restatement of the dark opening lyrics.

Mike

Mike, I need you to quit this Guardians thing and head to Rockford for design meetings.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mike

Of course, just do it exactly like Spartacus...🤦‍♂️