2019 Phantom Regiment

I finally saw Regiment live last night. As others have said, this show is light years better than last year. But I think they’ll still finish in 11th (hopefully not worse).

It's kind of reminiscent of 1998/1999 where a lot improved from one year to the next, but the competitive outcome was still the same.

2000 saw at least a couple of design changes (Michael Klesch, Leon May). Hopefully 2020 sees that and more. 

• Like 2

Agreed, 11-12 finish seems realistic, but encouraging given that the show is better........and hope they can start a climb back up to relevancy. Because right now they aren't. we've seen the ups and downs over the years, so in my opinion, just stay in finals and go from there. SUTA. 

I've gained some new respect for PR this year given their journey in '19. A lot of DCPers had them down and out early on and I've been impressed how they've fought on.and held off some surging and re-surging corps behind them. Probably a bit short still of their initial goals and aspirations, but nonetheless a courageous battle to remain relevant and respectable. I enjoy their show this year. 

• Like 2

well said........i enjoy it too. Glad to see them put on a decent show, much improved over the last two years. 

Edited by The Dog

On 7/11/2019 at 11:23 AM, billj said:

And as for complaint about the props not moving around, I'm very ok with that. They serve their purpose for hiding performers as needed. 

This I fully disagree with.  Why have props only to hide performers?  Couldn't the designers figure out  how the performers could be used at these parts of the show?  Is there something important about hiding a performer?  If you have props .... use them in your show.  An ancillary benefit might be that you can use them to reveal a performer or performers for some important impact during the show.  Good illustration is Bluecoats 2016.  (not so much 2017 where the prop was "in the way".) 

32 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

This I fully disagree with.  Why have props only to hide performers?  Couldn't the designers figure out  how the performers could be used at these parts of the show?  Is there something important about hiding a performer?  If you have props .... use them in your show.  An ancillary benefit might be that you can use them to reveal a performer or performers for some important impact during the show.  Good illustration is Bluecoats 2016.  (not so much 2017 where the prop was "in the way".) 

Devil's advocate: Regiment tried this last year, and it didn't work. 

Devil's advocate to that statement: They used the wrong props and couldn't tell the story effectively with them.

If you need me, I'll be debating myself...

• Haha 2

I hope this is the final year of bringing back old favorites. The retreads are never as good as the original. This year’s Fire Of Eternal Glory is the latest example. It doesn’t approach the magical moment that was the  ‘93 version. Ugh. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Devil's advocate: Regiment tried this last year, and it didn't work. 

Devil's advocate to that statement: They used the wrong props and couldn't tell the story effectively with them.

If you need me, I'll be debating myself...

be a master at it

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I hope this is the final year of bringing back old favorites. The retreads are never as good as the original. This year’s Fire Of Eternal Glory is the latest example. It doesn’t approach the magical moment that was the  ‘93 version. Ugh. 

I agree, while I appreciate hearing PR classics, they will never be the same as the original performances for several reasons. I think PR needs to rely less on OLD classics, and start creating NEW classics. A new season and decade is upon us, dare to do something different and new, and create classics for a new generation. 

On a positive note, heard they added a new closer recently. Looking forward to seeing it tonight in TX! 

• Like 1