2019 Phantom Regiment

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Devil's advocate: Regiment tried this last year, and it didn't work. 

Devil's advocate to that statement: They used the wrong props and couldn't tell the story effectively with them.

#1 Agreed

#2 Agreed (they would have been better off NOT using them at all, they added nothing to the storyline).

4 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

This I fully disagree with.  Why have props only to hide performers?  Couldn't the designers figure out  how the performers could be used at these parts of the show?  Is there something important about hiding a performer?  If you have props .... use them in your show.  An ancillary benefit might be that you can use them to reveal a performer or performers for some important impact during the show.  Good illustration is Bluecoats 2016.  (not so much 2017 where the prop was "in the way".) 

I'm ok with EVERY corps not upping the ante on the props arms race. The stationary props allow them to manipulate the stage plenty. 

I'm getting dizzy with all the props.

SCV is another long time favorite of mine, and I've been very happy to see them at the top the last few years, but I'm disappointed that they had to outdo Devils at their own game in order to win (come out with the best props, greatly reduce the big drill moves, increase the "individual, stylized movement"/scatters).

Seems like Devils and Coats have the best props props this year. If they finish 1 and 2 I can only imagine what's in store for next year with props. Actually, I can't. How much worse can it get? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PhantomPhan91 said:

I agree, while I appreciate hearing PR classics, they will never be the same as the original performances for several reasons. I think PR needs to rely less on OLD classics, and start creating NEW classics. A new season and decade is upon us, dare to do something different and new, and create classics for a new generation. 

On a positive note, heard they added a new closer recently. Looking forward to seeing it tonight in TX! 

Agreed. I've been one of the folks saying "calm down and let the kids and staff do their thing" from the very beginning. As I said after the tour debut, they'll make finals and the show is better than the last few years. The potential of this specific show isn't overwhelming but the potential moving forward shows great signs of improvement. 

I still don't like the non-use of props but I'll get over it. 

As far as old classics, once every 10 or so years MAYBE. But watching a corps redo the old things that made them great or at least made for great moments, is like watching all 257 sequals to Rocky (and yes...I'm fully aware there arent 257..but I like that number.) You're never going to change what you are by trying to relive what you were. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I hope this is the final year of bringing back old favorites. The retreads are never as good as the original. This year’s Fire Of Eternal Glory is the latest example. It doesn’t approach the magical moment that was the  ‘93 version. Ugh. 

Just remember that Fire Of Eternal Glory was not all that "magical" until Drums along the Rockies when they changed the drill and took the helmets off for the first time.

2 minutes ago, alvinpr89 said:

Just remember that Fire Of Eternal Glory was not all that "magical" until Drums along the Rockies when they changed the drill and took the helmets off for the first time.

How does that have relevance?  Are you suggesting they’ll be making a magical change to it this year?  Like completely rewriting it and eliminating the drum break?  I’m thinking that’s not gonna happen. 

• Thanks 1

Speaking of helmets ... 

Not a fan of the guard dancing with the helmets. Why does it seem like they try to do something with the helmets every other year? It was cool in 93 or whatever year that was, but other than that It's never interesting!  I know the helmet has a lot significance to the corps, but it really doesn't mean #### to anyone else, and they need to consider that. It is also not a good guard prop --- a small fuzzy black thing, not very effective from the box. just stop with trying to be cute with the helmet already!   

And while people like the chevron ending, to me any time they do a chevron or a kickout at the end of a show it just seems like they have nothing actually creative to do so they milk what worked in the past as a copout. Would rather see something fresh.

that's my negativity

On a bright note, the music is still in tact!  Love that even though they've watered some parts down a bit, it still makes musical sense and they aren't replacing brass parts with synth.

I also like that they march and play quite a bit instead of relying on body movement/prop stuff and those kind of visuals ... they aren't very good at that stuff (and I personally don't care for it unless it's done REALLY well like bluecoats/scv), so glad that they backed away from it and do more actual marching.

Much better show than last year overall, which isn't saying too much, but it is. 

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

And while people like the chevron ending, to me any time they do a chevron or a kickout at the end of a show it just seems like they have nothing actually creative to do so they milk what worked in the past as a copout. 

Every last drop of this.