2019 Phantom Regiment

10 minutes ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

Speaking of helmets ... 

Not a fan of the guard dancing with the helmets. Why does it seem like they try to do something with the helmets every other year? It was cool in 93 or whatever year that was, but other than that It's never interesting!  I know the helmet has a lot significance to the corps, but it really doesn't mean #### to anyone else, and they need to consider that. It is also not a good guard prop --- a small fuzzy black thing, not very effective from the box. just stop with trying to be cute with the helmet already!   

And while people like the chevron ending, to me any time they do a chevron or a kickout at the end of a show it just seems like they have nothing actually creative to do so they milk what worked in the past as a copout. Would rather see something fresh -  but i'm sure the drum corps meat heads love it. 

that's my negativity

On a bright note, the music is still in tact!  Love that even though they've watered some parts down a bit, it still makes musical sense and they aren't replacing brass parts with synth. Much better show than last year overall, which isn't saying too much, but it is. 

Would you then go on to say that Crown using the Crown as a closer set also signals a lack of creativity? 

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Would you then go on to say that Crown using the Crown as a closer set also signals a lack of creativity? 

YES

although crown has done some interesting transitions INTO the crown set, especially with their current designer if I'm remembering correctly

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

YES

I personally don't agree with either, a lot of corps do certain things every year, whether it's musically or visually, that calls back to previous years. In a world where uniforms change so often, it's nice to have a little familiarity on the field 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Dang, Cappy you beat me to it!

Where's that line between re-tread and corps traditions? Either of which may be crowd pleasers (tho obviously not everyone's cup of tea). 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

Speaking of helmets ... 

Not a fan of the guard dancing with the helmets. Why does it seem like they try to do something with the helmets every other year? It was cool in 93 or whatever year that was, but other than that It's never interesting!  I know the helmet has a lot significance to the corps, but it really doesn't mean #### to anyone else, and they need to consider that. It is also not a good guard prop --- a small fuzzy black thing, not very effective from the box. just stop with trying to be cute with the helmet already!   

And while people like the chevron ending, to me any time they do a chevron or a kickout at the end of a show it just seems like they have nothing actually creative to do so they milk what worked in the past as a copout. Would rather see something fresh.

The emoting while holding a helmet like it was some sort of sacred object always struck me as goofy. I totally disagree with you about the chevron formation. Like CC’s crown formation or BK’s little prep step, I’ve come to expect it at some point in the show. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm a traditionalist.

I like when a corps does their logo/crest,even for a few seconds.

The Crown,the Cross,the Flour de lis,the PR Crest  are, to me, paying respect

to who they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To jump on the bandwagon...

I love the chevron and kick halt, but I have to say it gets a bit old putting it in at the end. I would love to see the chevron show up when least expected. That would be cool. I will concede the kick halt to the end as a compensation for moving the chevron.

N9Uqedr.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1