2019 Phantom Regiment

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

Somebody stole my helmet once and danced with it. But I got it back.

6nNdQmD_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

one of my favorite shows. You're an OG!

1 hour ago, PRomoter said:

To jump on the bandwagon...

I love the chevron and kick halt, but I have to say it gets a bit old putting it in at the end. I would love to see the chevron show up when least expected. That would be cool. I will concede the kick halt to the end as a compensation for moving the chevron.

N9Uqedr.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

Yes, you probably said it better than I did.  Big difference between these nods as the closing of the show, vs thrown somewhere else in the show where maybe not expected. I was actually secretly hoping to see the kickout wedge at the end of the (new world) opener last year! Even the chevron in 2010 at the big into the light hit was great, It was used very effectively. I just wish I saw more evidence of a well thought out plan to end the show... and the chevron instead says to me that they are relying on something that worked in the past instead to generate their GE

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

Had the luxury of watching the show last night in Denton.  My quick thoughts......

- Can corps just go back to using helmets?   Especially Cavies and SCV.  I feel like there is a looming identity crisis.  There are few corps that remain instantly recognizable, which is a shame.  I applaud PR for bringing their helmets back, but I would of preferred they stayed on throughout the show.   It’s official.   I’m an old fart.

- I was really surprised with Regiment.  Wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but they brought it last night and gave this alum some goosebumps.  

- The talent level in DCI has grown so much over the years.  It’s hard to believe that this could be a 12th place show.  Regiment clearly has the talent to make a move and I hope the design team provides them that opportunity.

- Hey brass line, if you’re reading this.....you sound great.  Keep pushing yourself and don’t let up.   IMO, you’re better than the scores reflect.  That being said, that final hit in Fire of Eternal Glory?  We were ready to throw our babies, but your breathing and entrances back into FFFFF took away from the moment.  There was a lead Sop that took 4-5 breaths in that chord alone and attacked like a MF when they came back in.  

We sat low and close to the 50.  IMO, Biggest ovations last night went to (in order):

- Crown

- SCV (likely higher if everyone wasn’t racing to the exits)

- Regiment

- BC

- Cavies

Nice work Regiment, love seeing you guys lay it all out there for us!

SUTA!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

And while people like the chevron ending, to me any time they do a chevron or a kickout at the end of a show it just seems like they have nothing actually creative to do so they milk what worked in the past as a copout. Would rather see something fresh.

I would agree with this with one caveat. It seems like they're milking old glory like a Holstein......UNLESS it works. When they pulled it in 2010, people pretty much threw babies. I almost expected to look up and see a beach ball getting bopped around. It just had a little bit of the old school vibe. 

I too would rather see something fresh. But sometimes...rarely...but sometimes, it just works. This show, in this year, IMHO is not that time. 

23 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would agree with this with one caveat. It seems like they're milking old glory like a Holstein......UNLESS it works. When they pulled it in 2010, people pretty much threw babies. I almost expected to look up and see a beach ball getting bopped around. It just had a little bit of the old school vibe. 

I too would rather see something fresh. But sometimes...rarely...but sometimes, it just works. This show, in this year, IMHO is not that time. 

2010 was special in so many ways.    

Of all the things Myron did in his life for Drum Corps, Phantom's show in 2010 is the one that affects me the most.  So much right on so many levels.  Funny how so little of that show was changed from the beginning of the season through to the end.  The introduction and exit were planned well in advance.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Continental said:

2010 was special in so many ways.    

Of all the things Myron did in his life for Drum Corps, Phantom's show in 2010 is the one that affects me the most.  So much right on so many levels.  Funny how so little of that show was changed from the beginning of the season through to the end.  The introduction and exit were planned well in advance.  

I didn't go to Atlanta that year due some other things going on in my life. But I avoided watching any video of DCI corps. I attended finals so it was first time seeing the show. It was truly special and IMHO the best 6th place show that I have ever heard. Sometimes, greatness doesn't require that we keep score. 

• Like 1

Putting on my Program Coordinator hat for a moment:

Chevron - considering the previous set pretty much telegraphs what's coming next, not working.

Uniform changes - not working.

Swaying in the middle of the field - not working.

Prop integration - not working. 

Sounds like I'm down on the corps/show? No! I'm down on the design elements that (IMO) were not given enough thought/attention. Then again, I'm not being paid to come up with the design elements so, what do I know?

• Like 1