2019 Phantom Regiment

5 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

It’s obvious that no one is telling the marching members the gravity of the situation that PR is in!  This year's marching members could very possibly be the marching members who don’t make it to finals, a finish this corps hasn’t experienced since 1973.  It may not be totally their fault but, they are the ones being judged and the ones who spent a very large sum of money (each) to be successful... to win or get as close to winning as expected.  Not making it to finals is absolutely unsuccessful.  Heck, anything in the bottom half is unsuccessful in my book when paying the fees to march. Back in the day if we performed poorly, or, did not perform to the expectation of the staff it was explained sternly to us and we paid the price dearly with very, very intense practice until we got it right and the point was made.  Today’s generation would likely have cried and quit.  If this was a volunteer activity, I would have no issues, but it isn’t.  There is too much money and survival at stake and the members and staff need to feel the absolute burden.  PR has never had a roster of MM and staff that caused this low of finish.  Don’t settle to the one that does.   

Truth hurts.  Deal with it.  

I'm still confident that PR will make finals (with the caveat that we don't continue to have the strangeness from the judges we had last night). Maybe that is not enough for you.  But realize that there are 10 other corps who will not make finals.  And they have most likely paid large sums of money (each) to be successful ... to win or get as close to winning as expected.  But with 22 corps, only 12 will make finals and only 1 will win.  PR has a good show.  I don't think it communicates what was promised in the announcement (just watched it again).  But that is not what they are being judged on (I don't think).  The MMs are doing a great job, and maybe this year was a "miss".  PR will evaluate, modify, plan and look forward to a better 2020.  As will my hometown team, the Academy.  They have MMs who are doing a great job, having fun and will not even make the top 12, (although I still have hope for them).  They will also evaluate, modify, plan and look forward to a better 2020, while celebrating a great season of competition, friendship, musicianship and fun.  I think that is the attitude PR should take away from this season.   Look Forward.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

What would happen if a corps just didn't have props as opposed to having props on the field that simply aren't used? Would they take a hit on GE for not having them as opposed to not using  them is what I'm asking I guess. 

Take a look at how Madison and Troopers are doing, and you will find the answer to your question.

23 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Take a look at how Madison and Troopers are doing, and you will find the answer to your question.

Understood. But are the Troopers and Madison not scoring well because they don't have props or because of the rest of the show design, music selection, quality of staff and members, etc.? 

You could be 100% correct. But I think there's more to consider there IMO.

Also, please don't take that to mean I have anything against the Troopers or Scouts. They were two of my fathers favorite corps along with the 27th. I have the utmost respect for both organizations.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Understood. But are the Troopers and Madison not scoring well because they don't have props or because of the rest of the show design, music selection, quality of staff and members, etc.? 

In my opinion, they are two corps comparable to Pacific Crest overall, who are both being written off in GE - not because they are ineffective, but because they have zero props.

Last year, Genesis had zero props, and paid for it competitively.  This year, with a weaker performing corps, they are moving up in the standings.  In fact, they are nipping at the heels of Madison and Troopers in the effect captions, even though they are not in the same league performance-wise.  There is a message there.

Come on, now. Who here looks forward to each corps' props? And to say that corps X would place higher if they had 'better' props or corps Y would place higher if they added props doesn't make sense to. 

I look forward to good music, drill and guardwork, performed well.

Regiment is delivering on that. SUTA!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, billj said:

Come on, now. Who here looks forward to each corps' props? And to say that corps X would place higher if they had 'better' props or corps Y would place higher if they added props doesn't make sense to. 

I look forward to good music, drill and guardwork, performed well.

Regiment is delivering on that. SUTA!

I agree completely and have been speaking well of PR since the season premier. My question is, does a prop that is not used except as a place to hide equipment, uniforms, etc., or as a changing station, negatively effect GE? I don't have access to that information because my only background is as an MM. It could have no effect at all. I simply would like to know for my own education. 

Ok, it’s time for a little sunshine and rainbows.... congrats MMs on your undeniable improvement. A testament to your strength and dedication. Two qualities that will serve you well in whatever endeavors you take on in years to come. Keep pushing! 

• Like 8

I actually really enjoyed the show last night.  

Does it have some issues?  Maybe.  Do they still need to mix things up next year?  Yes.  Is this a Phantom Regiment show at its core that is emotionally captivating?  Yes.  They’ve done way more with this than I ever expected them to.  And I think a bulk of the congratulations goes to the members there, they’re performing their hearts out.  

Also, big congrats to the drums and front ensemble.  They’re doing some great stuff.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I agree completely and have been speaking well of PR since the season premier. My question is, does a prop that is not used except as a place to hide equipment, uniforms, etc., or as a changing station, negatively effect GE? I don't have access to that information because my only background is as an MM. It could have no effect at all. I simply would like to know for my own education. 

I've mentioned this before, but their props this year remind me a lot of SCV's backdrop props in 2013 from their Les Mis show, and I think that their use to hide MMs was very effective (especially for the closer). Phantom's use of their props might be slightly less so this year, but having seen it live I don't find them ineffective/detrimental.

Well it looks like its that time of year again,  Time for reality to set in for some, time for the I told you so's to say again I told you so, and time for the praising of the kids efforts to overwhelm all others.

It's really time for the ineffective board to resign and a cleaning of the house staff occur.  This current group has no imagination and no vision, the kids deserve so much more,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1