2019 Phantom Regiment

I’m interested to hear what complaints need to be made to corps leadership. I see that suggestion on this forum a lot, but there are never any specifics. Perhaps outlining a few talking points here and then communicating those ideas individually to those leaders would prove more profitable than all the frustrating, useless discussion. If it’s that important, let’s put our heads together and come up with a few action items we can all get behind and share them earnestly with the corps. What say you?

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

I’m interested to hear what complaints need to be made to corps leadership. I see that suggestion on this forum a lot, but there are never any specifics. Perhaps outlining a few talking points here and then communicating those ideas individually to those leaders would prove more profitable than all the frustrating, useless discussion. If it’s that important, let’s put our heads together and come up with a few action items we can all get behind and share them earnestly with the corps. What say you?

I’m wondering if the corps needs a larger budget to afford seasoned professional design staff.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2019 at 9:36 AM, Sutasaurus said:

A point well put. Not trolling,’ anyone just asking a general GE question. I would think exposure to error would be higher when there is more light on the field. 

I think the lighter the uniform/costume color, the more exposure to marching errors. #1: White shoes/spats, #2: white/light pants, #3: light overall uniforms/costumes,

On 7/30/2019 at 5:21 PM, PRomoter said:

I wonder if leadership might be open to an online private forum for ideas and suggestions throughout the entire year. 

11 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

I wonder if leadership might be open to an online private forum for ideas and suggestions throughout the entire year. 

I'd be surprised if leadership would be open to this. Or beyond a "thanks for that suggestion" kind of canned response.

I'd also be surprised if leadership didn't know that a problem exists. Rick Valenzuela (assuming he's the leader in question) marched and had boots on the ground roles at SCV prior to being a corps director. I'm sure he understands GE and how Regiment is lacking in it right now, both musically and visually. I'm sure he knows the root causes of why the corps is placing where it is and why it's lagging behind the corps that it has historically been competitive with. 

Now, does he know what to do about it? That might be the problem. Or does he have the resources to fix it? That might be the ultimate problem. Can he take a step back and move on from a popular alum that he's mistakenly put in charge of both coordinating *and* arranging? That's another concern that he might not be prepared to address. 

So to me, unless the ideas and suggestions specifically address these topics, I'm not sure it'll be useful.

But if he wants my hot takes on how he should hire Pete Webber, Frank Sullivan, Scott Boerma, and a few others, I can always email him. 😀

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

I'd be surprised if leadership would be open to this. Or beyond a "thanks for that suggestion" kind of canned response.

I'd also be surprised if leadership didn't know that a problem exists. Rick Valenzuela (assuming he's the leader in question) marched and had boots on the ground roles at SCV prior to being a corps director. I'm sure he understands GE and how Regiment is lacking in it right now, both musically and visually. I'm sure he knows the root causes of why the corps is placing where it is and why it's lagging behind the corps that it has historically been competitive with. 

Now, does he know what to do about it? That might be the problem. Or does he have the resources to fix it? That might be the ultimate problem. Can he take a step back and move on from a popular alum that he's mistakenly put in charge of both coordinating *and* arranging? That's another concern that he might not be prepared to address. 

So to me, unless the ideas and suggestions specifically address these topics, I'm not sure it'll be useful.

But if he wants my hot takes on how he should hire Pete Webber, Frank Sullivan, Scott Boerma, and a few others, I can always email him. 😀

he was a baritone player. 'Nuff said.

I know of a few times over the years that corps publically solicited ideas for music or themes, but is it realistic to expect any world class corps to accept feedback from a group of people not on staff? The staff is watching and hearing things every day, in addition to getting judge's feedback several times a week. What additional, useful information could they possibly get from others?

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

This isn't a fair assessment, and it's also an oversimplification. 

And on any corps' thread, the "fire person x" and "hire person y" gets old.