2019 Phantom Regiment

12 hours ago, billj said:

To be honest, as much as I love Gaine's drills from the past, and as much as I'm glad SCV won a title and has been at the top the last few years, I'm not so excited about the visual direction he's taking things (less drill, more props).

I hear you. And he's not everyone's cup of tea - either now or before with the Cavaliers. My point in bringing him up was just to say "there are people who just get how to create effect."

Also, worth noting that the average placement (though we shouldn't take averages of ordinal numbers...) of the Cavies with him designing drill from 98-11: 2.2
Cavaliers since without him (and including their recent top six finishes): 6.4
And he certainly seemed to be that missing piece to propel SCV the last couple years.

Naturally, he's not the only talented member of the design staff for either of those corps, but he plays a huge role. My first feedback to PR would naively be "GO HIRE ONE OF THOSE."

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

...My first feedback to PR would naively be "GO HIRE ONE OF THOSE."

My guess is that it's easier said than done.  

And while that may appear to some to be an obvious quick-fix way to address what some perceive to be problems needing addressing, there's something to be said for keeping a staff together, and growing together. Consistency across the key staff positions is pretty important. 

• Like 1

Watched the Atlanta performance a few times, as others have said this show has come a LONG LONG way.

I've voiced my opinion on some of the design decisions but there is a lot of good stuff too! This might actually be my favorite show of theirs since Turandot!

The visual was probably the hottest of hot messes at the beginning season, but it has cleaned up well and is far more effective. Better than a good chunk of their more recent (and higher placing) shows IMO. The cross and drill leading up to it in the opener is really cool as an example. Also some really cool moments with the guard, especially weapons. Choreography with the guard ... undressing ... the brass in the block is nicely staged, just needs to be cleaned up a bit more. Also really like the interplay between male and female rifles between the call to arms chant. Nice stuff

All I wanted from phantom this year was to put on a show that I actually enjoyed watching, because that hasn't been the case lately. I think they've succeeded on that!

12th place or not, this is a much better show than several of the recent years. I'm going to stay focused on the positive from here.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

Watched the Atlanta performance a few times, as others have said this show has come a LONG LONG way.

I've voiced my opinion on some of the design decisions but there is a lot of good stuff too! This might actually be my favorite show of theirs since Turandot!

The visual was probably the hottest of hot messes at the beginning season, but it has cleaned up well and is far more effective. Better than a good chunk of their more recent (and higher placing) shows IMO. The cross and drill leading up to it in the opener is really cool as an example. Also some really cool moments with the guard, especially weapons. Choreography with the guard ... undressing ... the brass in the block is nicely staged, just needs to be cleaned up a bit more. Also really like the interplay between male and female rifles between the call to arms chant. Nice stuff

All I wanted from phantom this year was to put on a show that I actually enjoyed watching, because that hasn't been the case lately. I think they've succeeded on that!

12th place or not, this is a much better show than several of the recent years. I'm going to stay focused on the positive from here.

You summed up my feelings about this show quite well - thank you!  Personally, I also like the horn-switching ensemble in the opener and the black and tan blocks co-mingling during the Fire buildup.

Can't wait to see them on Monday in Akron!

• Like 3

Just saw WF show on YouTube. This show may not be in the top 10 against the competition this year, but it is the best show they’ve put on the field since 2012. Good job!

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 5

7 hours ago, PRomoter said:

Just saw WF show on YouTube. This show may not be in the top 10 against the competition this year, but it is the best show they’ve put on the field since 2012. Good job!

Very much cleaner. You GOTTA be proud of these MM's (and staff) for pushing through all the chaos that the peanut gallery has thrown their way. Some will still complain and that's fine. But remember what it was like out there please. These kids have busted their ##### to put something out on that field for US to enjoy, JUST LIKE WE DID back in our DCI/DCA days. Don't forget your roots. I'm a bigger fan now than I have been since 2010. 

• Like 3

It's been a different summer for Regiment.

So many wrote them off.   I suspect so many wanted them out of top 12.  

The talent they attracted has spoken and they have other plans.  They truly have the fight within themselves.  No matter how much  this activity changes,  something within this corps is right. 

Look at how motivated those kids are.   Going forward the organization needs to tap into this motivation further.   It will be what propels them to greater success. 

You can have all the wonderful designers, instructors and techs you want.  But it's when the kids have this kind of motivation, incredible things happen.

Regiment has 9 lives.  The soul of this corps is very strong.

• Like 7

Considering the number of new to drum corps members they are marching, the corps has overcome some pretty tall odds. These men and women have proven themselves worthy of DCI finalist, may they be rewarded as such. 

Flame me for being a homer, but I think they have to be the most improved corps of 2019.

A big thanks to the whole Regiment organization for an incredible summer of growth. Please know your determination and grit are not only appreciated, it’s admired. SUTA

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Considering the number of new to drum corps members they are marching, the corps has overcome some pretty tall odds. These men and women have proven themselves worthy of DCI finalist, may they be rewarded as such. 

Flame me for being a homer, but I think they have to be the most improved corps of 2019.

A big thanks to the whole Regiment organization for an incredible summer of growth. Please know your determination and grit are not only appreciated, it’s admired. SUTA

I hope you know how much that statement would / will mean to those MM's coming from a vet. Sometimes, I think those of us who marched with either DCI or DCA forget our roots. Drum Corps is about learning, performing and most of all, FAMILY. We forge lifelong bonds built through hard work to accomplish a singular goal and it's something we carry into our "real lives" later down the road. I'm not a PR vet, but I remember being out there and I'm proud of these performers, their staff and volunteers. 

• Like 1