2019 Phantom Regiment

12 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I'd argue that this year, the essence of Regiment has shifted quite a lot. They're playing quite a lot of stuff not in the classical repertoire, and what they play from the classics is pretty bastardized (and lacking effect).

The Blue Stars La Reve show in 2016 was very much in line with what would keep the essence of Regiment - sustained melody from the likes of Wagner and Cirque. 

I see it a as “darned if they do and darned if they don’t situation. One camp says try new pieces expand your repertoire while others say stick with only classical. How do you play to both?

Unfortunately, the WGI approach to show design replaced sustained melody and musical development with pushing props around the field and staging for effect. I find most music used these days has been bastardized in one way shape or form. DCI judges are rewarding a whole different set of skills than what they used to. 

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Unfortunately, the WGI approach to show design replaced sustained melody and musical development with pushing props around the field and staging for effect. I find most music used these days has been bastardized in one way shape or form. DCI judges are rewarding a whole different set of skills than what they used to. 

Agreed! However, (IMO) Regiment has not 'fully' adopted this change and we are seeing the results of that decision. Do I think they will remain in the top 12? My heart wants to say yes however, as grotesque as I find Spirits show, it is more in line with the direction of the activity. so, it would not surprise me to see them leapfrog Regiment on Friday (guess it depends on the slate). I do not believe Regiment will best Crossmen. Though I loath the guitar, IMO the overall design is better.  

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

PR definitely wins the "most improved from first performance of 2019 season until LOS."

It seems right to say this, and many people on this forum seem to agree including me, but the score progressions and gaps don't paint that picture. Last I checked, most improved scorewise were... Bluecoats a Blue Devils. Surprise! And if you look at the scoring progressions and comparisons with other corps, I'm going have to say there was some slotting after day 1.

33 minutes ago, billj said:

It seems right to say this, and many people on this forum seem to agree including me, but the score progressions and gaps don't paint that picture. Last I checked, most improved scorewise were... Bluecoats a Blue Devils. Surprise! And if you look at the scoring progressions and comparisons with other corps, I'm going have to say there was some slotting after day 1.

well technically, they are fourth in improvement. The slotting argument is opinion and cannot be proven no matter how much one pouts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Agreed! However, (IMO) Regiment has not 'fully' adopted this change and we are seeing the results of that decision. Do I think they will remain in the top 12? My heart wants to say yes however, as grotesque as I find Spirits show, it is more in line with the direction of the activity. so, it would not surprise me to see them leapfrog Regiment on Friday (guess it depends on the slate). I do not believe Regiment will best Crossmen. Though I loath the guitar, IMO the overall design is better.  

May you be proven wrong......

21 minutes ago, xandandl said:

well technically, they are fourth in improvement. The slotting argument is opinion and cannot be proven no matter how much one pouts.

Express an opinion = pouting????When did that happen? Sounds like echoes of RAMD.

• Like 1