2019 Phantom Regiment

33 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Expect more mediocrity (or worse)... from the bottom of a heartfelt Will Pitts's Facebook post:

We have work to do, but if it is with these people, it’s worth it. Sorry, DCP trolls... I’m coming back. 

SUTA

Sorry K,

Will is not the problem here. He had more on his plate than needed. If show concept/design was offloaded from his responsibilities I think you’ll see his true potential. He’s a talented man.

Let’s hope the organization realizes they need more “DCI oriented” design staff in 2020.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Sorry K,

Will is not the problem here. He had more on his plate than needed. If show concept/design was offloaded from his responsibilities I think you’ll see his true potential. He’s a talented man.

Let’s hope the organization realizes they need more “DCI oriented” design staff in 2020.

I have no doubt that he's talented. But his brass book was light years behind the top eight groups in terms of effect, and relative to those groups, it was poorly conceived. 

What you see as "too much on his plate," I see as "had no one reining him in and was left to his own devices." We've also see what he could do when he was strictly the brass arranger, and it wasn't much better. 

With 112 rookies in the corps, there was no doubt an effort to give them a great experience and keep them happy, and hopefully those students comes back. And hopefully the board of directors gives them a strong design team (including brass arranger). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Expect more mediocrity (or worse)... from the bottom of a heartfelt Will Pitts's Facebook post:

We have work to do, but if it is with these people, it’s worth it. Sorry, DCP trolls... I’m coming back. 

SUTA

Well who says staff dont read DCP?! Nice to be acknowledged :innocent:

Well Mr. Pitts, here's my message to you:

Know your limits. Know when you have too much on your plate and need to delegate. The job of program coordinator is a large and encompassing role. And being frank, what Phantom has been doing in that regard has not been working, just take a look at the plummetting GE scores year after year as evidence. 

And as for your music arrangements, put some emotion into it. Please. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Well who says staff dont read DCP?! Nice to be acknowledged :innocent:

Well Mr. Pitts, here's my message to you:

Know your limits. Know when you have too much on your plate and need to delegate. The job of program coordinator is a large and encompassing role. And being frank, what Phantom has been doing in that regard has not been working, just take a look at the plummetting GE scores year after year as evidence. 

And as for your music arrangements, put some emotion into it. Please. 

+1 to this.  I would also add (if possible) reach out to Jim Wren and get some constructive help when you are writing the brass book.  Like hey Jim what do you think of this or how would you do this ending etc...  There is a TON of talent that regiment has at it's disposal.  Oh, and FFS get Bob Smith back to clean your feet and drill.  Seriously, the amount of stuff PR practiced WRONG most of the season should not have been.  Doing run thru's not fixing it makes it 10X harder to fix.  When you are doing body movements and can't make a simple marching block or horn arc with proper intervals on the fly you are doing a dis-service to the members.  Basics and body all need to be taught.  Dress and cover as well as dot need to be taught.  This is how transitions are made clean as well as public appearances don't make you look bad when you have to make a quick horn arc.  Sorry, my latent dino genes are kicking in.... :)

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 3

I like what the Cavies director said at the cinema cast. Something like (not his exact words), "We tried some things that didn't work the last few years and we decided to just be the Cavaliers."

I think Regiment needs to stop guessing what the Judges want and using things (vocals) that don't work just because everyone else is.

In 2018 SCV didn't use vocals or narration and never has, didn't use any alternative instruments etc and WON!

BE PHANTOM REGIMENT!!! 

Classical music but something new and different. Stop rehashing the old stuff.

Edited by shawn craig
  • Like 1

Congrats to the corps for an improved year, lets keep it going in the right direction. Placement dropped again, but the show was better. Lets build on that and work our way back up.

Onward and upward PR!

SUTA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shawn craig said:

I like what the Cavies director said at the cinema cast. Something like (not his exact words), "We tried some things that didn't work the last few years and we decided to just be the Cavaliers."

I think Regiment needs to stop guessing what the Judges want and using things (vocals) that don't work just because everyone else is.

In 2018 SCV didn't use vocals or narration and never has, didn't use any alternative instruments etc and WON!

BE PHANTOM REGIMENT!!! 

Classical music but something new and different. Stop rehashing the old stuff.

I thought they were very phantom regiment this year. 

• Like 2

Dear Phantom Regiment,

I work in IT.  As a result, I think my IT experience helps me to criticize what you do because I know SQL - not entirely though, just enough to criticize Will Pitts.

I can't imagine brass arranging to be anymore difficult than SQL.

Next year can you please put the thing in thing - I think it will help make the thing better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Continental said:

Dear Phantom Regiment,

I work in IT.  As a result, I think my IT experience helps me to criticize what you do because I know SQL - not entirely though, just enough to criticize Will Pitts.

I can't imagine brass arranging to be anymore difficult than SQL.

Next year can you please put the thing in thing - I think it will help make the thing better.

I think it's great that you've never been critical of anything outside of IT. I applaud you. 

It doesn't take tremendous knowledge to say "corps X is clearly not doing what corps A through G are doing." I'm fairly certain nobody here is suggesting that they can create what corps A through G are creating, but that they can see who isn't creating it. 

• Like 1