2019 Phantom Regiment

2 hours ago, EricS said:

Pitts' facebook comment is exactly what anyone would expect.  From a friend who was in PR with him it is exactly what I would expect.  He has a pronounced air of self imposed importance that he thinks is unquestionable.   If in fact is back next year I guess we will see how long it takes for him to take PR down the drain.

That seems harsh.

22 minutes ago, Continental said:

Sutasaurus, you represent your corps so well.  You marched many years before current members were born, yet your words and actions speak volumes about what it means to respect the experience that you had. 

Bravo.  

Agreed. What I don't understand is since PR has the money to fund what is needed, why aren't they hiring top notch staff for all captions? 

1 hour ago, Phantombari1 said:

You're thoughts have been answered, and you were wrong. I'm sure you can find a safe space with other deniers.

I’m feel embarrassed for you as a fellow alum. There is no denying change needs to happen @ Regiment, Continental is one of the first people to address that. Why are you beating up on him/her? Calling people deniers? Is it because we view things a little differently than you? This kind of tribalism is so ###### unproductive and disgusting. Didn’t you learn how to work together with your fellow MMs when you marched? What happened to that life lesson?

On 8/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, Continental said:

I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but during it's history in DCI Finals, Phantom Regiment has occupied every placement position in the top 12.

I don't think any other corps even comes close to this.

As noted in this thread from last week, the two corps who previously "accomplished" this feat are:

Madison Scouts -- 4th (1973), 2nd (1974), 1st (1975), 5th (1977), 8th (1979), 6th (1980), 3rd (1981), 7th (1986), 9th (1990), 10th (2000), 11th (2001), 12th (2008)

Bluecoats -- 11th (1987), 8th (1989), 9th (1993), 7th (1995), 10th (1998), 12th (2000), 6th (2004), 5th (2005), 4th (2006), 3rd (2010), 2nd (2014), 1st (2016)

However, Phantom Regiment is the only corps to do this without having fallen out of finals between the first and last placement, as Bluecoats did in 1999 and Madison Scouts did in 2002 and 2007.

Phantom Regiment -- 11th (1974), 10th (1975), 4th (1976), 2nd (1977), 5th (1980), 8th (1985), 6th (1988), 3rd (1991), 1st (1996), 7th (2000), 9th (2009), 12th (2019)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, fatbrassboy said:

Agreed. What I don't understand is since PR has the money to fund what is needed, why aren't they hiring top notch staff for all captions? 

The corps puts on multiple instructional camps not only during the marching season but the off season as well. Offering music education to underserved communities is commendable. I’m not privy to the corps’ finances but I’m sure there is significant expense in providing that instruction. Does this expense come out of Regiment’s competitive program? I don’t know, but if it does, they are at a crossroads. As I mentioned in a different thread, it’s time the BOD make the decision to either leave DCI to become a music/arts outreach program or commit to improving their competitive standing within DCI. I don’t think they have the finances to do both at this time.

This is merely speculation on my point but it’s done so without beating up anyone.

SUTA to those who understand what it truly means.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sutasaurus said:

The corps puts on multiple instructional camps not only during the marching season but the off season as well. Offering music education to underserved communities is commendable. I’m not privy to the corps’ finances but I’m sure there is significant expense in providing that instruction. Does this expense come out of Regiment’s competitive program? I don’t know, but if it does, they are at a crossroads. As I mentioned in a different thread, it’s time the BOD makes the decision to either leave DCI to become a music/arts outreach program or commit to improving their competitive standing within DCI. I don’t think they have the finances to do both at this time.

This is merely speculation on my point but it’s done so without beating up anyone.

SUTA to those who understand what it truly means.

Educational programs are generally quite appealing to donors -- often more so than artistic programs. Phantom may be getting donations/grants that are restricted for such purposes, or they may be getting donations to support general operating that they would not get if they didn't offer educational programs.

21 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Educational programs are generally quite appealing to donors -- often more so than artistic programs. Phantom may be getting donations/grants that are restricted for such purposes, or they may be getting donations to support general operating that they would not get if they didn't offer educational programs.

Thank you for that info. Perhaps those who feel the design staff needs replacing should earmark their monetary donations “design staff budget” use only.

Send money, send good ideas, not complaints.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

I’m feel embarrassed for you as a fellow alum. There is no denying change needs to happen @ Regiment, Continental is one of the first people to address that. Why are you beating up on him/her? Calling people deniers? Is it because we view things a little differently than you? This kind of tribalism is so ###### unproductive and disgusting. Didn’t you learn how to work together with your fellow MMs when you marched? What happened to that life lesson?

I hardly beat up on anyone.  The overly sensitive always play that card.  Until enough people get angry enough to make enough noise the situation will continue to worsen until no one will be able to join the corp. because the corp. will have to fold.

Only then will people wake up and then it will be too late.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phantombari1 said:

I hardly beat up on anyone.  The overly sensitive always play that card.  Until enough people get angry enough to make enough noise the situation will continue to worsen until no one will be able to join the corp. because the corp. will have to fold.

Only then will people wake up and then it will be too late.

I respect your opinion but is “noise” going to turn the current situation around? No. Actions will. All I’m asking is to have people put their money/ideas where their mouths are. Is that wrong or asking too much? Honest question here....not being overly sensitive.

Edited by Sutasaurus

1 hour ago, fatbrassboy said:

I was able to do a little research on this looking at the most recently available 990 data. You will see that, the financial picture in Rockford is NOT comparable to top corps and, in fact, they spent LESS on staff salaries than any other corps in the top 12 (2017)

Corps Income Wages
BD $3,793,949.00 $1,591,648.00
Vanguard $4,586,872.00 $1,317,704.00
Crown $2,404,773.00 $271,204.00
Cavaliers $1,443,604.00 $243,413.00
Bluecoats $2,073,202.00 $106,897.00
Boston $2,855,336.00 $585,029.00
Cadets $5,533,664.00 $2,188,736.00
Blue Knights $1,644,938.00 $132,522.00
Regiment $1,313,707.00 $98,196.00
Blue Stars $1,318,407.00 $170,721.00
Crossmen $1,279,912.00

$110,435.00

You aren't going to be able to attract and retain top level talent when your staff salaries are less than a tenth what the top corps pay. As they say, 'you get what you pay for'. That would certainly appear to be the case here

Now, there are some that may say the Regiment does more with less. Yeah, not buying it!

It is evident that Rockford cannot support the corps financially and as I have said elsewhere, it is time to consider options including moving the corps to a more financially desirable/stable location. This should include another state!

• Like 1