2019 Phantom Regiment

4 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Drink up Shriners 

Your comment about people who complain is spot on.  Funny how they don't figure out that the louder they get the more people won't listen to them - so they think they have to get even louder or more insulting.  I work with someone like that.  Constantly complaining.  People just learn to tune them out.

• Like 1

Recently Regiment's office made an official announcement that a certain talented young alum was made Corps Manager. Some on this thread applauded this as a right move certain to bring a young, energetic, and hopefully new perspective. Others on this thread have called for a change in the Executive leadership of the corps and have blamed that person for Regiment remaining in an ever increasing rut. Just how much either of these gentlemen "control" the competitive outcome of the corps is debated and theoretical.

Most corps use the title "Director" for the one who makes the ultimate decisions of the corps' performance on and off the field.  Just as Regiment doesn't use Drum major but rather Conductor, Rockford views life through its own lenses. Who will pick staff and apply competitive possibilities, CEO, Manager, or program coordinator? The future has yet to be written. But congratulations to the mms of Regiment who certainly put their best on the field the night of '19 Finals no matter the placement nor score.

• Like 4

On 8/14/2019 at 10:39 PM, Sutasaurus said:

I learned a long time ago in the corporate world, when you go into a meeting if you have an issue with a policy or a particular method or procedure you better bring a valid idea on how to fix it. Otherwise you’re considered a time wasting complainer and no one will take you seriously going forward.

Later.

That's 100% correct. A director at my job approached me a few weeks ago in an absolute TIZZY. She was acting childish and hurt because of one her projects she as working on took an absolute belly flop early on and I was asked to come in and try to pee on the fire. We did some quick thinking and the launch went off as well as it could have under the circumstances. In a post-mortem meeting this past week, she was EXTREMELY critical of some of things I had put together and done to move things in the right direction. My response to her was simple: 

1. You've come with criticism and no solutions to a problem that you created. Don't complain about what others with more vision had to do. Come with solutions and remember that doing something in the face of adversity is almost ALWAYS better than doing nothing

2. I asked the question "Exactly HOW could I have done things better? And be very, very specific. I don't deal in vagueness and saying 'I just don't like it' is neither a suggestion nor a reason to shift my judgement."

There are people who believe that Phantom is some form of death spiral. Some are vets, some are fans, some are neither. Change needs to occur. People have been open to that. But to say "Fire person X and get a new staff" is not a solution until you can say "And this is how you can accomplish that." That would be like me saying to someone who lives paycheck to paycheck to fix their financial woes by "just paying all your #### off and making more money." Great suggestion there Sparky...now explain how they do that...and be very specific. And if it doesn't work, remember that the people who howl at the moon the loudest attract the most wolves when their ideas don't pan out. Just sayin'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That's 100% correct. A director at my job approached me a few weeks ago in an absolute TIZZY. She was acting childish and hurt because of one her projects she as working on took an absolute belly flop early on and I was asked to come in and try to pee on the fire. We did some quick thinking and the launch went off as well as it could have under the circumstances. In a post-mortem meeting this past week, she was EXTREMELY critical of some of things I had put together and done to move things in the right direction. My response to her was simple: 

1. You've come with criticism and no solutions to a problem that you created. Don't complain about what others with more vision had to do. Come with solutions and remember that doing something in the face of adversity is almost ALWAYS better than doing nothing

2. I asked the question "Exactly HOW could I have done things better? And be very, very specific. I don't deal in vagueness and saying 'I just don't like it' is neither a suggestion nor a reason to shift my judgement."

There are people who believe that Phantom is some form of death spiral. Some are vets, some are fans, some are neither. Change needs to occur. People have been open to that. But to say "Fire person X and get a new staff" is not a solution until you can say "And this is how you can accomplish that." That would be like me saying to someone who lives paycheck to paycheck to fix their financial woes by "just paying all your #### off and making more money." Great suggestion there Sparky...now explain how they do that...and be very specific. And if it doesn't work, remember that the people who howl at the moon the loudest attract the most wolves when their ideas don't pan out. Just sayin'

You should have posted this on the 2019 Madison thread back in late June or early July.  Would have been like matter and anti-matter colliding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You should have posted this on the 2019 Madison thread back in late June or early July.  Would have been like matter and anti-matter colliding.

Lol. I'm pretty used to that so it moght have been fun to see. Logic and emotion can rarely live peacefully in the same space at the same time. Not every idea is good. But all ideas are worth at least the respect of an ear. 

• Like 1

Hi. I made a new thread so that we can talk about next year's Phantom Regiment in a thread that actually applies to them. Enjoy.

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Reading the thread, some of the facts are very cloudy. No one's sure what the truth is in some of the complaints except for the fact the placement has been dropping and that they fought for their lives to make the cut this season.

The big one to me is to make sure the corps financial intake is solid (if it is not) and to make sure staff is paid on the level of other top end corps, (if it is not) Without money, steady money, things don't happen in this activity anymore.

The other issue, and it seems to be a very loaded one, is how much of the management and staff should be alumni, and why? It might take someone from outside that perhaps 'gets it more than they might get credit for getting it' about what Phantom represents, but can provide a fresh design outlook and the out of the box ideas to get them out of the rut. Something tells me- but I can't confirm it that things have gotten too 'in-house' in ways that are negative and not positive.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BigW said:

Reading the thread, some of the facts are very cloudy. No one's sure what the truth is in some of the complaints except for the fact the placement has been dropping and that they fought for their lives to make the cut this season.

The big one to me is to make sure the corps financial intake is solid (if it is not) and to make sure staff is paid on the level of other top end corps, (if it is not) Without money, steady money, things don't happen in this activity anymore.

The other issue, and it seems to be a very loaded one, is how much of the management and staff should be alumni, and why? It might take someone from outside that perhaps 'gets it more than they might get credit for getting it' about what Phantom represents, but can provide a fresh design outlook and the out of the box ideas to get them out of the rut. Something tells me- but I can't confirm it that things have gotten too 'in-house' in ways that are negative and not positive.

I agree with this. The Regiment is a unique organization , it always has been , with a certain way of doing things.  It’s time to pull in non-Regiment staff to broaden their horizons. I’m a fan of fostering new talent from within but those up and coming people need to learn from tried and true designers. Take established ideas and apply new twists to them.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I agree with this. The Regiment is a unique organization , it always has been , with a certain way of doing things.  It’s time to pull in non-Regiment staff to broaden their horizons. I’m a fan of fostering new talent from within but those up and coming people need to learn from tried and true designers. Take established ideas and apply new twists to them.

A basis for a starter could be that shows have become operatic as heck now with all the impressive structures and sets. Connection to the 'big thing' now with PR without totally going off the reservation to the point it's too much.. Easy.