2019 Phantom Regiment

2 hours ago, BigW said:

A basis for a starter could be that shows have become operatic as heck now with all the impressive structures and sets. Connection to the 'big thing' now with PR without totally going off the reservation to the point it's too much.. Easy.

For me it’s just getting back to sounding like Regiment: dark & lush. Clear theme with accompanying visuals. Set a new foundation and then move into more complex ideas. 

1 hour ago, phd-student-TTU said:

For me it’s just getting back to sounding like Regiment: dark & lush. Clear theme with accompanying visuals. Set a new foundation and then move into more complex ideas. 

We agree on more things than we think! Frightening eh? You make an excellent point here.

• Like 1

Gotta say, I truly enjoyed PR this year.  🙂 I officially don't care about placement any more (that that I did much to begin with).  Seattle Cascades, Phantom, Madison... 

I just love these corps.  

Can't wait for next year!

7 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I've hear many discussions as to why the timbre's changed and I've tried to talk to knowledgeable people. The drift I've got from 2 people I trust is that it's not Jupiter's fault. I'd like to play one to get a feel for it personally. Could be arranging. IIRC, JD Shaw is a serious Euphonium player and groks the horn wonderfully. Have the new people been as understanding of that? I don't know, but I'll ask the question.

As for themes... Most themes people like are pretty simple on the surface, and then they discover inner meaning as it reveals itself. Sometimes, the design team isn't even trying to do it, it happens through great arranging and visual of that basic idea. Prime example of a well-loved show of late- Tilt. We're not talking some kind of deep existential journey there. :satisfied:

1 hour ago, BigW said:

I've hear many discussions as to why the timbre's changed and I've tried to talk to knowledgeable people. The drift I've got from 2 people I trust is that it's not Jupiter's fault. I'd like to play one to get a feel for it personally. Could be arranging. IIRC, JD Shaw is a serious Euphonium player and groks the horn wonderfully. Have the new people been as understanding of that? I don't know, but I'll ask the question.

As for themes... Most themes people like are pretty simple on the surface, and then they discover inner meaning as it reveals itself. Sometimes, the design team isn't even trying to do it, it happens through great arranging and visual of that basic idea. Prime example of a well-loved show of late- Tilt. We're not talking some kind of deep existential journey there. :satisfied:

I thought JD Shaw was a French Horn/Mellophone player?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Continental said:

I thought JD Shaw was a French Horn/Mellophone player?

Bingo! JD was the soloist in Nessun Dorma.

And I believe they stopped playing Jupiter horns a few seasons ago.

Edited by Sutasaurus

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

And I believe they stopped playing Jupiter horns a few seasons ago.

Horn players have it rough it seems. Judging by multiple threads over the years, there appear to be definite performance differences between brands. At least in percussion, for the most part it's always going to sound pretty similar from 40 feet away (tenors have projection differences once you get to around that distance.) Snares all sound like a tabletop at this point. Though the System Blue snares have bonus "extra table-topy" sound AND you get the added benefit of them weighing 20% more! A bargain at 1/2 the price!

4 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

And I believe they stopped playing Jupiter horns a few seasons ago

I remember reading a thread on the switch where there were people believing the corps sold its soul to the devil and jumped the shark when they had those horns. They've switched since then, to what?