2019 Phantom Regiment

25 minutes ago, BigW said:

I remember reading a thread on the switch where there were people believing the corps sold its soul to the devil and jumped the shark when they had those horns. They've switched since then, to what? 

I believe they went back to King instruments who is still one of their sponsors.

Edited by Sutasaurus

39 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I believe they went back to King instruments who is still one of their sponsors.

Which are supposedly better instruments. Played on one of the baris last year and thought it was pretty decent, and I'm rather fussy.

5 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Horn players have it rough it seems. Judging by multiple threads over the years, there appear to be definite performance differences between brands. 

Yep that’s why I don’t get too excited over G vs Bb as tone differences my untrained ear pick up can be blamed on manufacturers

Lucked out as played better brand of horns in my piston/rotor and 3v days (so I’ve been told)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

12 hours ago, BigW said:

I've hear many discussions as to why the timbre's changed and I've tried to talk to knowledgeable people. The drift I've got from 2 people I trust is that it's not Jupiter's fault. I'd like to play one to get a feel for it personally. Could be arranging. IIRC, JD Shaw is a serious Euphonium player and groks the horn wonderfully. Have the new people been as understanding of that? I don't know, but I'll ask the question.

As for themes... Most themes people like are pretty simple on the surface, and then they discover inner meaning as it reveals itself. Sometimes, the design team isn't even trying to do it, it happens through great arranging and visual of that basic idea. Prime example of a well-loved show of late- Tilt. We're not talking some kind of deep existential journey there. :satisfied:

JD was a mellophone player.

3 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

And not just any mellophone player, either. He played the solo for Phantom’s “Nessun Dorma” opener in 1991.

47 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep that’s why I don’t get too excited over G vs Bb as tone differences my untrained ear pick up can be blamed on manufacturers

Lucked out as played better brand of horns in my piston/rotor and 3v days (so I’ve been told)

A good horn is a good horn, a bad one... you have to fight it. I feel like I have to beat my Kanstul with a stick to get it to respond to what I want. I think certain people in Westshroe Alumni didn't understand how bestial the G Kanstuls were as compared to a decent concert Euphonium. It got to the point I asked if they wanted me to bring my Euphonium if I came back.

All I ask for is a horn that's responsive, the valves are quick and tough (Like my YEP 321S), slots well, and I can fix any pitch foibles by listening and using my brains. The Kings and System Blues fill those requests I think very adequately, and I can also be FAR more subtle in terms of dynamic range and edge.

28 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

Yep-yep, but he GETS how to write for the Euphonium as if he played one very seriously. :satisfied: Not everyone really gets it. They write non lyrical hammer away like a pile driver stuff which works well for the baritone but not well at all for the Ufo.

Reason this is important- you want Phantom's dark rich timbre that they are known for, you MUST write well for the Euphoniums.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

And not just any mellophone player, either. He played the solo for Phantom’s “Nessun Dorma” opener in 1991.

Was he also the Mellophone soloist in Pagliacci?  The one who loses the chicken on his helmut after the solo?  Hard to tell.  He was so much thinner back then. 

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Yep-yep, but he GETS how to write for the Euphonium as if he played one very seriously. :satisfied: Not everyone really gets it. They write non lyrical hammer away like a pile driver stuff which works well for the baritone but not well at all for the Ufo.

Reason this is important- you want Phantom's dark rich timbre that they are known for, you MUST write well for the Euphoniums.

JD certainly understands effective voicing and arranging to achieve PR’s signature dark, rich and soulful sound that made them who / what they are.  While euph’s and bari’s are a major part of that PR signature sound and often a major voice of their musical selections but, it’s his (and his predecessor’s) ability to smartly arrange for all brass voices to effectively emulate great orchestral works and fill an entire stadium with emotion that not even a non-PR fan (then & now) can deny.  Electronic instruments and stadium sized amplification do not create sounds that evoke emotions.    

Edited by Land_Surfer

Any bets he used Jim Wren to throw ideas off of?  I don't think WP has enough self-abasement to consider this.

• Like 1