2019 Phantom Regiment

41 minutes ago, xandandl said:

the new electronix guy at Regiment for the second part of the '19 season is someone who well understands the sentiments expressed above, recently aged out only two seasons ago, and had to follow instructions from the front office, caption manager, and program coordinator.  So he shouldn't get all the flack.  Besides he's a distant cousin but a great guy.

I wasn’t picking on the individual. They were taking their direction from staff. My post was about electronics in general....put more of the performance back in the hands of the performers and not rely on samplings to get your point across.

Imagine complete musical phrases making a comeback. Foster musical talent by playing music not by schlepping a prop around the field.

Let drum corps be drumming, horn playing and marching. Let WGI be the electronic dance troupes. There’s room for both.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Agreed completely! Changing the brass staff and keeping the arranger doesn't make sense!

More scapegoat garbage.....lame.

10 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

More scapegoat garbage.....lame.

You suggesting that visual design changes need to be made: no scapegoat involved

Me suggesting that brass arranging changes need to be made: scapegoat garbage

If changes don't occur across the board (with the possible exception of percussion), I'll be disappointed AND lame. 

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

You suggesting that visual design changes need to be made: no scapegoat involved

Me suggesting that brass arranging changes need to be made: scapegoat garbage

If changes don't occur across the board (with the possible exception of percussion), I'll be disappointed AND lame. 

Well, based on a number of your posts they are ###### if they do/###### if they don’t. You haven’t liked the corps for several season, citing this head should roll or that person needs to be let go = scapegoat garbage.

Now you’re Intent on ousting Will Pitts. You’ve made that point ad nauseam. While the corps didn’t do well competitively this year, many people have noticed a change for the better, that the coros was connecting more with the audience. So why not build on that iota of success?

Perhaps all the appreciation the corps received this year bothered you?

Edited by Sutasaurus

33 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Well, based on a number of your posts they are ###### if they do/###### if they don’t. You haven’t liked the corps for several season, citing this head should roll or that person needs to be let go = scapegoat garbage.

Now tou’re Intent on ousting Will Pitts. You’ve made that point ad nauseam. While the corps didn’t do well competitively this year, many people have noticed a change for the better, that the coros was connecting more with the audience. So why not build on that iota of success?

Perhaps all the appreciation the corps received this year bothered you?

PR made strides in the right direction and more importantly they proved something that some people seem to either not know or forget after they are long removed from actually being an MM. PR showed grit. The staff and members pulled together and took the feedback they were getting from the judging community (you know...the ones who's opinions count most,) and improved every day, every set. What more can you ask for from any human being but to accept feedback and do what they can with it? They proved the naysayers wrong by making finals and that appears to have ###### in some peoples Wheaties. 

If people are so worried about placement over the experience of actually getting out there on the field, improving yourself as a person and mastering your craft, then they are SORELY missing what this activity represents. If you are one of those and you marched, then take a few moments and try to remember your roots and the lessons you (I hope) learned. If you didn't march, try to imagine yourself in the situation. 

I want PR back in the top 3 to 5 as well. I love Phantom and always will. But seeding the internet with posts about who should be fired and why isn't getting you what you want. If you want a genuine discussion about who should be in what spots, then bring your concerns to the corps itself. Civil discussion is fine. But sometimes we move right past civility and reach straight for the pitchforks. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I feel it was the marching members and the techs that made PR’s season what it was, NOT the designers. Imagine what they could have achieved with that grit and determination had they been given a better product from the start. 

And that is a fair statement. I don't discount that at all. Look, I'm not saying that the best people are in the right place to maximize the potential a corps has. And that's ANY corps, not just PR. I am not a designer, arranger etc. I have absolutely no right to speak on those subjects as I would be talking out of my ### with ZERO experience in those roles. We learn our strengths and weaknesses under fire and if we're smart, we adapt and shift around the talent to keep improving.  

Was it an amazingly well designed show? Nope. Early in the season I was confused and I stated as much. As the show evolved and changed, I thought it started to be the best show it could be. If it would have been an amazing product from the start, then yes, they would clearly have gone higher. Your point is valid. I just don't know that some of the screaming for peoples heads on a pike (figuratively speaking,) does anything more than add unnecessary drama. Just my .02.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1