2019 Phantom Regiment

For what it's worth, a survey of program coordinators in the top 12 in 2019. Naturally, program coordination means different things to different corps and design teams.

1. Blue Devils. Scott Chandler, visual guy
2. Bluecoats. Dean Westman, music guy 
3. Santa Clara Vanguard. Scott Koter, music guy (though I'd suspect the most influential voice on the design staff is Michael Gaines, visual guy)
4. Carolina Crown. Rick Subel, visual guy
5. Cavaliers. David McGrath, music guy
6. Boston Crusaders. Keith Potter, visual guy
7. Blue Knights. Kevin Shah, music guy (though indoor percussion guy)
8. Blue Stars. Michael Shapiro, visual guy
9. The Cadets. Darcie Aungst, visual person
10. Mandarins. Ike Jackson, music guy (though indoor percussion guy)
11. Crossmen. Ed Devlin, visual guy
12. Phantom Regiment. Will Pitts, music guy

Program coordinators are overwhelmingly visual design-oriented folks. 

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Quite interesting you felt the need to comment this again after it was removed by the mods the first time

Pulled why? If it was so incendiary why was it allowed to stay the second time. 

I’m sorry if your feelings were hurt...the first time.

Edited by Sutasaurus

Did you ever march? Don’t care if it was with PR.... just askin’. No flame bait here just trying to understand your point of reference. 

I’ve held a few positions in Regiment from MM to marching instructional staff to support staff to board member over the years. Does this make me all knowing? Absolutely not! It does, however, give me a hands on insight on how the organization works. Which is why I  say Regiment is @ a crossroads. I applaud them for trying to fill a need in the Rockford area and on tour offering educational camps. It’s a noble cause but it is taking away from the competitive side of things.

It doesn’t matter who any of us wants to take over the PC job or design staff. It’s up to the board/ corps director to decide what Regiment will be in the next decade.

Not putting anyone on the spot here, just placing responsibility at the feet of the folks who can do something about it.

I think a lot of us feel the same way, we just have different ways of expressing it. 

Edited by Sutasaurus

9 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Did you ever march? Don’t care if it was with PR.... just askin’. No flame bait here just trying to understand your point of reference. 

I’ve held a few positions in Regiment from MM to marching instructional staff to support staff to board member over the years. Does this make me all knowing? Absolutely not! It does, however, give me a hands on insight on how the organization works. Which is why I  say Regiment is @ a crossroads. I applaud them for trying to fill a need in the Rockford area and on tour offering educational camps. It’s a noble cause but it is taking away from the competitive side of things.

It doesn’t matter who any of us wants to take over the PC job or design staff. It’s up to the board/ corps director to decide what Regiment will be in the next decade.

Not putting anyone on the spot here, just placing responsibility at the feet of the folks who can do something about it.

I think a lot of us feel the same way, we just have different ways of expressing it. 

:thumbup:

On 8/25/2019 at 11:31 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

PR made strides in the right direction and more importantly they proved something that some people seem to either not know or forget after they are long removed from actually being an MM. PR showed grit. The staff and members pulled together and took the feedback they were getting from the judging community (you know...the ones who's opinions count most,) and improved every day, every set. What more can you ask for from any human being but to accept feedback and do what they can with it? They proved the naysayers wrong by making finals...

Absolutely agree...

In many senses they became the Ste. Jeanne d'Arc they were portraying.

However, they need to up the design game so that fighting for 12th turns into fight for top 3. Perhaps the 2019 design staff did the best they could with the resources they were given. If that's the case, then if the resources were there ($$$$$$) should we expect a better product?

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 9:49 PM, kdaddy said:

For what it's worth, a survey of program coordinators in the top 12 in 2019. Naturally, program coordination means different things to different corps and design teams.

1. Blue Devils. Scott Chandler, visual guy
2. Bluecoats. Dean Westman, music guy 
3. Santa Clara Vanguard. Scott Koter, music guy (though I'd suspect the most influential voice on the design staff is Michael Gaines, visual guy)
4. Carolina Crown. Rick Subel, visual guy
5. Cavaliers. David McGrath, music guy
6. Boston Crusaders. Keith Potter, visual guy
7. Blue Knights. Kevin Shah, music guy (though indoor percussion guy)
8. Blue Stars. Michael Shapiro, visual guy
9. The Cadets. Darcie Aungst, visual person
10. Mandarins. Ike Jackson, music guy (though indoor percussion guy)
11. Crossmen. Ed Devlin, visual guy
12. Phantom Regiment. Will Pitts, music guy

Program coordinators are overwhelmingly visual design-oriented folks. 

Wait, 6 music vs. 6 visual = overwhelmingly visual?

• Like 3

On 8/25/2019 at 2:17 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I too thought it was probably the best 12th place corps I've seen.

Top scoring 12th place corps ever -- and per the 112 DCP members who responded to this poll question, the second-best 12th place show of this decade.

But of course, also Phantom's lowest finish since 1973, and their second worst decade in DCI placements.

(Average placement: 1970s: 8.5; 1980s: 5.3; 1990s: 4.7; 2000s: 4.6; 2010s: 7.4. Drop the 23rd place in 1972 and their 70s placement averaged 6.4.)

Phantom devotees naturally expect more than best-at-twelfth.

The corps has had some big one-season jumps in the past: up 6 places in 1976, up 5 places in 1987, up 5 places in 1993, but also some slow climbs. And 3rd>6th>7th>7th>8th>9th>11th>12th is an alarming trend. Boston was able to buy talent to jump from 12th to 6th three years ago. Does Phantom have the bankroll for that, or is it going to be a slow grind back to success?