2019 Phantom Regiment

Yeah, I remember seeing the shoes.   It was just the timing in the video you're watching along and there's all the passion and work they put into the season and show and then...it's just done.  And the waterworks start.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Back in the olden days, ageouts left their shoes on the field.  

Yep. This tradition is a little easier to clean up I guess. LOL. That tradition started in the 70's and carried through when I marched and beyond. Different groups leave different things but I LOVE this one. The whole concept of "Leaving it all out on the field" is something I hope every MM and fan "get." Things like watching that make me miss it all so much more. Maybe I've still got ONE more year of DCA in me....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Yep. This tradition is a little easier to clean up I guess. LOL. That tradition started in the 70's and carried through when I marched and beyond. Different groups leave different things but I LOVE this one. The whole concept of "Leaving it all out on the field" is something I hope every MM and fan "get." Things like watching that make me miss it all so much more. Maybe I've still got ONE more year of DCA in me....

I think Kilties started the shoes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I did that! In the 70s and marched with Doris (the flamingo given to us by 27th)in my cape!

Haha!  A couple guys in Kilties gave a couple of our ageouts their spats and they wore them for retreat.  That retreat was wild in 78.  People running all over the place during the fireworks.  Shenanigans!   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think Kilties started the shoes. 

I think you're right. I heard it was kind of late 70's but I don't remember exactly where. It seems to be a little more random now as far as what's left. I also miss the beach balls LOL

2 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think you're right. I heard it was kind of late 70's but I don't remember exactly where. It seems to be a little more random now as far as what's left. I also miss the beach balls LOL

I think it was Mooneyes In 1977 in Denver.  He played what is called “Moon’s solo” in McCoy’s Reel. 

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think it was Mooneyes In 1977 in Denver.  He played what is called “Moon’s solo” in McCoy’s Reel. 

A decade before my time but I do love the Kilties. Dad did too. I think he saw them, 27th and Troopers as what he called "iconic" corps. I'll have to go see if I can find a video once I get off of work. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 10:16 AM, Sutasaurus said:

a message to the MMs of 2019 Regiment:

SUTA I am so proud of each and EVERY one of you.

Suta - if rumored changes come to pass, we know what is going to happen.  The fair weather fans are going to come out in droves.  Suddenly Phantom is going to be relevant for their expectations. 

Yet through all of this you support the corps.  Through everything. 

You were a participant in the formative years during their initial rise to the top.  So were others on here.  Yet your learned something else.    

You are the definition of Phan.  Through thick and thin.  Always supporting.  Always there.  Always motivating current members.  

You represent what Phantom stands for.   

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Continental said:

Suta - if rumored changes come to pass, we know what is going to happen.  The fair weather fans are going to come out in droves.  Suddenly Phantom is going to be relevant for their expectations. 

You were a participant in the formative years during their initial rise to the top.  So were others on here.  Yet your learned something else.    

You are the definition of Phan.  Through thick and thin.  Always supporting.  Always there.  Always motivating current members.  

This 100%. Drum Corps is competitive and I get it...we all get it. I enjoyed marching against PR in my years...always a class act. It doesn't always surprise me that the casual fan is all about the numbers..., just look at professional sports. I play a LOT of pool...which means I'm around a LOT of "fans." If you're howling at the moon about how bad a professional quarterback is playing, then get out there and show what YOU'RE made of.

These MM's gave their hearts and souls. If you did march, you should remember the expectations that were set. What more can I ask of a member of any corps than what was asked of me when I marched. I want all the corps to be competitive. But most of all, I want all the members to show me something and take something away from their journey. It's a life changing experience. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Continental said:

Thanks for your kind words Continental. I guess it’s like being a Cubs fan......but different. 

It was the support of our friends and families, their belief in us that pushed us into DCI. I may come off like a Pollyanna to some because I try to keep things positive. Just offering the support I received when I marched to the current MMs. I’d be willing to bet that many of us who marched drum corps got our inspiration from those who marched before us. We all need to do a better job of paying that support forward. 

I’m not naive, change is needed @ Regiment but I think singling out one person for this season’s placement is a bit short sighted...there is plenty of blame to go around. After coming close to ending a 45 year run as DCI finalist, I hope and pray the board and corps director are working on a way to ensure the corps’ success on the field for another 45 years.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 4