2019 Phantom Regiment

5 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

It was the support of our friends and families, their belief in us that pushed us into DCI. I may come off like a Pollyanna to some because I try to keep things positive.

An earlier post almost prompted me to comment on the attitudes of young people.  Based on some who post on here, the ones who go to the moderators when they feel insulted.  I did not grow up in the coddled generation.  I decided for myself at an early age.  My father told me to fight my own battles.   I did.  

I'm wrong about young people today.  There is strength.  I don't always understand the motivation, but I recognize the outcome.  This past year showed that with Phantom. 

I want the members of Phantom 2019 to have the opportunity to continue in 2020 over and above the changes in staff.

I want Phantom to continue the battle.  Never forget the hearts and minds of the members who strive every day to represent the corps. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Continental said:

An earlier post almost prompted me to comment on the attitudes of young people.  Based on some who post on here, the ones who go to the moderators when they feel insulted.  I did not grow up in the coddled generation.  I decided for myself at an early age.  My father told me to fight my own battles.   I did.  

Several reactions to this, including "wut?" and "hahahaha" and "ugh" and "weird flex but okay."

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I want Phantom to continue the battle.  Never forget the hearts and minds of the members who strive every day to represent the corps. 

I've not ever seen anyone on this board forget the hearts and minds of the members, and I can't imagine it'll start anytime soon. Thankfully with the staff changes that are expected to come, any "battle" that Phantom will be in seemingly got a lot easier

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I've not ever seen anyone on this board forget the hearts and minds of the members, and I can't imagine it'll start anytime soon. Thankfully with the staff changes that are expected to come, any "battle" that Phantom will be in seemingly got a lot easier

They still need a program coordinator. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I take it that hasnt been decided on yet?

1 hour ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Pitts posted on a an alumni FB page that he is not going anywhere. Hmmm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2019 at 12:00 PM, Rocketman said:

We are going to have to wait and see what transpires over the winter. First and foremost, finances. Everything they do revolves around how much or little they can raise for the 2020 season. I still maintain that if Rockford is unable or unwilling to support the corps (financially) in a fashion that would allow them the resources to compete in the top tier of DCI (which obviously hasn't happened for a while), the corps needs to seriously explore a new base of operations. However, if that were even a remote consideration, it should have already begun months ago.

Rocketman,

Thanks for your ongoing contributions to our discussions re the Regiment. 

Within the context of financial support for our corps, one of your suggestions has been to move from Rockford.

I have also thought about a change of address but in terms of settling in a city/area which might be closer to our prospective MMs. I may be wrong but I believe the majority of our MMs come from Texas or the southeast, primarily Georgia.

Does this make any sense to you?

If you had to choose from among Denton, TX, Athens, GA, Rome, GA, Bloomington, IN, Louisville, KY, Oklahoma City, OK, Norman, OK, Columbia, SC and Knoxville, TN, would you have a preference or alternate choices?  I suggested these choices because each is closer to where many of our MMs may be and because most of these choices host major universities with schools of music. 

Would appreciate your insight after you have had a chance to absorb the coming staff change announcements.

SUTA,

Michael

41 minutes ago, 1956OPR said:

Rocketman,

Thanks for your ongoing contributions to our discussions re the Regiment. 

Within the context of financial support for our corps, one of your suggestions has been to move from Rockford.

I have also thought about a change of address but in terms of settling in a city/area which might be closer to our prospective MMs. I may be wrong but I believe the majority of our MMs come from Texas or the southeast, primarily Georgia.

Does this make any sense to you?

If you had to choose from among Denton, TX, Athens, GA, Rome, GA, Bloomington, IN, Louisville, KY, Oklahoma City, OK, Norman, OK, Columbia, SC and Knoxville, TN, would you have a preference or alternate choices?  I suggested these choices because each is closer to where many of our MMs may be and because most of these choices host major universities with schools of music. 

Would appreciate your insight after you have had a chance to absorb the coming staff change announcements.

SUTA,

Michael

Michael:

Decided to respond while it's fresh. Will also respond after the staff 'announcements' with my thoughts there.

The primary consideration (for me) would be the financial support they could expect to receive. I am not as concerned about the issue of location from the perspective of ease for the members to get to because, certainly, Rockford isn't exactly 'convenient'.

Some have suggested Bloomington as the 'obvious' choice because they supported a corps previously however, that is not completely accurate. A single entity was the primary source of funds (at least initially).

To me, the first step is for the corps to develop a list (like you have), evaluate the potential support, and then reach out to those communities to ascertain the interest in having the corps move there.

I don't know what steps the Crossmen took when settling on San Antonio, nor do I have any idea what type of support they are receiving. Certainly, the bigger the city, the more options they have. Denton is right outside Dallas and you would think that would have to be the first consideration.

I'd stay out of Georgia because of Spirit. I would probably forgo Bloomington and just settle on Indianapolis. Oklahoma, just don't think the financial support would be sufficient. Columbia SC is too close to Crown and Knoxville is too close to Music City (a newer corps). Surprisingly, there is no top 25 corps from Florida. However, that may also be a consideration.

JD

39 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Yes.

No offense to the city of Norman, but no. Naperville, IL.?

Edited by Sutasaurus

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Michael:

Decided to respond while it's fresh. Will also respond after the staff 'announcements' with my thoughts there.

The primary consideration (for me) would be the financial support they could expect to receive. I am not as concerned about the issue of location from the perspective of ease for the members to get to because, certainly, Rockford isn't exactly 'convenient'.

Some have suggested Bloomington as the 'obvious' choice because they supported a corps previously however, that is not completely accurate. A single entity was the primary source of funds (at least initially).

To me, the first step is for the corps to develop a list (like you have), evaluate the potential support, and then reach out to those communities to ascertain the interest in having the corps move there.

I don't know what steps the Crossmen took when settling on San Antonio, nor do I have any idea what type of support they are receiving. Certainly, the bigger the city, the more options they have. Denton is right outside Dallas and you would think that would have to be the first consideration.

I'd stay out of Georgia because of Spirit. I would probably forgo Bloomington and just settle on Indianapolis. Oklahoma, just don't think the financial support would be sufficient. Columbia SC is too close to Crown and Knoxville is too close to Music City (a newer corps). Surprisingly, there is no top 25 corps from Florida. However, that may also be a consideration.

JD

Good thoughts, but wondering if anyone on the Board of Directors or Rick himself has even thought of moving the corps. If not, it's like suggesting diets for fat Aunt Ethel when she is perfectly happy as she is. Just curious.