2019 Phantom Regiment

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

This right here.

I said in a post yesterday some of the same basic things. If something doesn't add to the design then it's just a distraction. Right now, there are a lot of distractions in this show. A slow moving opener with no direction and a drum line ramming notes to the backfield makes no sense. It adds nothing. The "I am joan" yell.....same thing. What is it adding? You just hit a big formation and haven't played a note....we already KNOW you're getting ready to try to melt our faces. 

I like certain sets like at around 4:30 and then the last 2 minutes of the show. The rest seems disjointed. The ballad is too spread out for me. Again, I was distracted with the "why are we spread from the 20 to the 20?" Too much to focus on the small brass ensemble guard work. The props sitting at the backfield doing nothing just bugs me. If you're going to have vertical staging then let's use it. 

The show has potential and I'm not going to doom it. But it needs some real guidance and a willingness to accept the feedback that the GE scores are showing.

I guess the questions is can a good staff do re-writes as the season gets going or do they just stick with it and clean clean clean and see where it goes? I remember BD in 2011 starting out slow and to be honest I wasn't into it early on but man they re-wrote that show and made it a great show at the end. But then we're talking BD staff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

... that's very close to the stupidest thing I've ever read in here and I've been here for over a decade. 

Yes, though it would appear that Pitts's successes in BOA are not translating to DCI.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

I don't know if many people actually know what a BoD *does*...

Mike

Apparently they attend a meeting once or twice a year, eat donuts, tell jokes and stories about the good old days, then get down to the business of giving the thumbs up to anything the executive director wants. As far as I can tell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Phantasm was as close to a BOA show (bad BOA show) as I have seen from the corps.

Please don't say the name of that show again. I am trying to block it out of my memory.

The show isn't that bad.  It's already better than last year.  There are some nice moments particularly the music in the last half. 

There are some things I think are easy to fix.  The "bopping" during Vox Populi is very awkward.  They look like a bunch of nervous teens at a high-school dance.   They could do without the bopping.  

The props look like Sukkot huts.  Its hard to make out what is going on at times.  At one point in the show "Joan" is on one of them with the corps surrounding her.  It's placed too far back for any effect.

I would also ditch the "I am Joan" part.  It's really cringe worthy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

But then we're talking BD staff. 

This

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Phantasm was as close to a BOA show (bad BOA show) as I have seen from the corps.

Wild

Blue

Orchid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

I don't know if many people actually know what a BoD *does*...

"give or get"

There have been a number of really sharp posts to this thread over the past several hours. Especially don't miss those by hostrauser, 2muchcoffeeman, and Glenn426.