2019 Phantom Regiment

11 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

This is so true, and as you stated, very few corps or bands have the kind of talented and cutting-edge staff that Santa Clara has. It took a few years for it all to lock in for Vanguard, too. When Shaw and Rennick first left Phantom (along with the Bluecoats brass staff) and went to SCV, it wasn't a major hit at first. Even the best designers/arrangers need time to gel, to conceptualize what it is they plan to do. As the talent fell back into place for Vanguard, and a few other staff additions (like Gaines, Koter) you now have a monster. This is what BD has, what old Garfield Cadets had, what Star of Indiana had, and what Carolina Crown has.  Most drum corps do not have this.  That is the nature of the activity.

I however sometimes feel that drum corps fans expect that every corps can come up with their dream team, and the truth is these things are the exception and not the norm. Because of staff fluctuation and the fact that drum corps is not a full-time job for most staff, there will always be new faces working for various corps. Unless you have big dollars and/or full-time jobs where you can hire excellent talent and keep them around, it's impossible to build a dream team. It all comes down to money. 

How did the Bluecoats and Crown push their way into the "game?" Money.  Of course, money alone will not help you make good choices when hiring staff and designers. But it's a start. When you have less money, you have to be a good judge of young, up-and-coming talent and find a way to hire them, keep them focused and give them the freedom to learn and grow. BUT...inexperienced staff also need parameters and someone guiding them. This is where a wise program coordinator comes into play. 

Having said all that, I have no knowledge of how Phantom is operating these days or who is on staff. I know I really like the music book, but have not delved into their total show just yet. I'm pulling for Phantom because they have always been one of my favorite drum corps. So many legendary shows. I don't know if this applies to Phantom or not, but I often feel that drum corps with less experienced staff should concentrate more on allowing the music and movement to drive their shows and worry less about theme or concepts. Don't try to be cutting edge or overly innovative. Build the show on music and visual ideas that have been proven and work. Then spend your time cleaning the heck out of it and developing your talent. 

You fail to address one major element of the activity - COMPETITION.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

Phantasm was a recycled Wes Cartwright show, which I’m sure you know as I have also been on the BOA boards. It certainly wasn’t the best Wes could do for Phantom but it was a sophisticated program.  

I know many probably would disagree, but I think Wes is the designer that Phantom needs, a lot of Corps could do with a little lesson in coordination of elements and generating effect. I’m sorry that partnership ended after 2017.

Wes is probably the best designer in the pageantry activity (outside of probably Michael Gaines and Chandler IMO). I don’t know what the worst elements of wild blue orchid were, but if Phantom had a show this year even close to the level of design that show had, we certainly wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.

WOW! that is a rather bold, yet naive statement.  Phantasm, IMMHO, was a very second rate high school show.  And NO, he is not the designer PR needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Eh, just that "Phantasm" seemed very much inspired by the worst elements of "Wild Blue Orchid".

For a BOA show, "Wild Blue Orchid" was very well performed. (On a BOA scale, I would say "Phantasm" was about 20 points better.) And the design was very good in sheer logistical terms. But the concept only works if you assume everybody on the design team were deliberately not taking the theme seriously.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation. 

Phantasm was a garbage show, with the exception of that excellent trombone writing in Finlandia.

Wes Cartwright is a one note designer. Phantasm was a Broken Arrow show --- and I love Broken Arrow, but Phantom needs their own identity. This current direction isn't the answer, but Cartwright wasn't either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Bc one of them put the corps in the mess they are in now. 

Partially agree.  But, his expertise is brass and building strong, high quality / highly competitive horn lines, and that’s why most would appreciate his return.  

8 hours ago, EricS said:

WOW! that is a rather bold, yet naive statement.  Phantasm, IMMHO, was a very second rate high school show.  And NO, he is not the designer PR needs.

I’m not saying he is the only designer PR would do well with, but he is the latest high quality design relationship that failed. The BOD has to choose someone, and it can’t get any worse with the current design staff. I’m offering a solution to the current problem, what are you proposing?.... crickets.

Edited by WarriorWay

As an alum, I am just saddened by their recent drop..........seeing them last year was baaaaaad........no impact moments to me. 

And really the last few years as well. Its hard for me to watch them freefall, and go on so early in shows now. I credit the competition level and kudos to those corps who are doing well, but man.....no excuse for phantom to freefall. I hate to say it, but I fully expect them to miss finals. Just being realistic given what the board is saying and what i've seen over the last few years. 

Just disheartening.......

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

As an alum, I am just saddened by their recent drop..........seeing them last year was baaaaaad........no impact moments to me. 

And really the last few years as well. Its hard for me to watch them freefall, and go on so early in shows now. I credit the competition level and kudos to those corps who are doing well, but man.....no excuse for phantom to freefall. I hate to say it, but I fully expect them to miss finals. Just being realistic given what the board is saying and what i've seen over the last few years. 

Just disheartening.......

I feel the same way. It's hard to watch, but has been coming for a while. Things should've been shaken up sooner to rally back into top standings. Last year was embarrassing.