2019 Phantom Regiment

5 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

The internet is full of surprises....try looking up the alumni group. Don’t wait for them to come to you.....

I am aware of the PRAA. I am just saying that as far as I know, there is not a 'registry' of all alumni like other corps have. If so, it is relatively new.

28 minutes ago, fatbrassboy said:

I am aware of the PRAA. I am just saying that as far as I know, there is not a 'registry' of all alumni like other corps have. If so, it is relatively new.

I know there is one out there. Time to check in with Shultzie!

45 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I know there is one out there. Time to check in with Shultzie!

Seriously? How is it used? How do they keep up with address changes?

Edited by fatbrassboy
duplicate thoughts

4 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I have and thank you for your kind words. I’m not here to knock anyone and like many posters I’m frustrated at the direction the corps is heading. The Regiment means a lot to me as I’m sure it does to many fellow alums. This is why I’m asking FMMs, fans, alumni to get involved.

Singling out individuals to place blame on is counter productive and petty.  Dan and Tim Farrell did their level best to keep  Regiment headed in the right direction and I am very thankful to them for toughing it out through good and bad. We wouldn’t have had Spartacus if it weren’t for their perseverance. Will Pitts doesn’t deserve the disrespect shown in this thread. His product is improving...now to get the design team headed in the same direction.

Ranting/pontificating on a message board is not going to change the course the current board is on. It takes action.

Contact the BOD directly, call Mr. Valenzuela and voice your concerns. Ask them how they feel about the corps’ current standings. I’m sure the board would welcome some fresh ideas. If it’s a money thing, then we get involved in fundraising for the competitive season. It starts with a dialogue with those who can actually enact change. It’s time to hold the board and corps director accountable.

How do you know? Have you actually tried to approach them???? I doubt it.

Dan literally ran everyone off that didn’t bow down to him. The DCI community knew about this and that’s why no one wanted to get hired there. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Dan literally ran everyone off that didn’t bow down to him. The DCI community knew about this and that’s why no one wanted to get hired there. 

Exactly. Spartacus came about because of Pat Seidling more than anyone else. Yes, I know that he was gone by then, but it's the staff and direction he put in place that led to Spartacus. He is the one that turned a Regiment, who declined in the late 90s, into a champion caliber corps by 2006. The hangover form him lingered for a couple years, then poof. That is evident by Regiment's pretty consistent drop since 2008, with 2012 being the brightest spot. Dan drove off all their great staff members. People who are happy at work typically don't leave unless they get offered more money or a higher position. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

It’s literally the job of an alumni association to reach out to former members. 

Then you should take over as Alumni Director?

God forbid, people actually take some initiative to seek out the organization.

9 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. Spartacus came about because of Pat Seidling more than anyone else. Yes, I know that he was gone by then, but it's the staff and direction he put in place that led to Spartacus. He is the one that turned a Regiment, who declined in the late 90s, into a champion caliber corps by 2006. The hangover form him lingered for a couple years, then poof. That is evident by Regiment's pretty consistent drop since 2008, with 2012 being the brightest spot. Dan drove off all their great staff members. People who are happy at work typically don't leave unless they get offered more money or a higher position. 

Maybe Pat needs to return? Rick V. Isn’t really cutting it, is he?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Maybe Pat needs to return? Rick V. Isn’t really cutting it, is he?

Is it Ricks job to hire the staff or make recommendations for staff, or the BOD? I don't know. I'm fairly sure Rick doesn't have much say in show design, but I could be wrong. Show design and staff obviously go hand-in-hand. Yes, I have been critical of the show design over the last few years (including 2019). If Dan was the issue, it is now a non-issue. So, what IS the issue now? Why can't the corps attract or retain high caliber staff? Is it finances? If so, what can be done about it?

Too many questions, and not a whole lot of answers. 

17 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Will Pitts doesn’t deserve the disrespect shown in this thread. His product is improving.

I agree that Will Pitts doesn't deserve the *degree* of ragging he's getting in this thread...buuuuut I'm going to quibble slightly with the idea that his product is improving.

If it is, it isn't being borne out by the scoring.  In fact, one could fairly easily draw the *opposite* conclusion:

In 2016, Phantom scored 8th in Brass and 8th in Music Analysis

2017: 10th in Brass and 11th in Music Analysis

2018: 10th in Brass and 12th/10th in Music Analysis (2 judges)

Now in 2019, although we haven't had a regional yet, they seem to be scoring in a way that will drop those captions below 12th.

My take on Will is that he was thrown into way too much responsibility, way too soon.  He's barely 30 and the program coordinator and brass arranger for a (possibly former) Top 12 WC corps.  Now as an arranger I've always sort of considered him pretty middle-of-the-road.  He won't hurt you and he won't help you, so to speak...but there was nothing in his time at Phantom as an arranger to indicate that making him the arranger AND the program coordinator was in any way a good idea.  It looks like "favored son" status, to be honest, and I have to wonder if someone else, who wasn't so linked to Phantom's big 2000s push to grab their first non-shared gold, were to have output what Will has there to this point if they would even still be on-staff...let alone elevated to Program Coordinator.

This year's show concept and design are just not good. Full stop.  That buck stops somewhere: When it comes to show design, it stops at the Program Coordinator.  It's one of the major tenants of the job.  Will is taking a lot of heat, yes...but he's the Program Coordinator.  It comes with the territory.

I think if he were still just the Brass arranger he could be continuing to grow, but he got thrown in the deep end and doesn't have a life vest on.  That's on administration.

• Like 2