Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Never a fan of singing in drum corps, just not my thing.........if that is part of playing the game i get it, but don't care for it....its hokey. 

I rarely like it, but there are cases when its done well.

Bluecoats this year and last year

Boston Wicked Games

Maybe a few other exceptions, but those come to mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just catching up on everything and took some time to view the show...

I'll say it over until I'm blue in the face...The product given to the kids is far below what I would call Regiment Standards.  It is very muddy visually and no amount of cleaning will fix it.  Its a design issue.  (IMO) The music is nowhere near the source music and is presented in such a butchered style that only ardent Phantom Phans will appreciate it.

After several years of seeing what some of the staff can do I've come to the conclusion they're in over their heads.  Maybe its a confidence issue, but whatever it is, its showing on the field in just about every facet of the show. They are not ready for prime time.

Let's take the Fire of Eternal Glory section...and I emphasis (Section).  What once was one of the greatest ballads ever created for drumcorp has now become a whisper of what it once was...to me the ensemble lacks any impact and therefore is a waste of time and talent, given the fact that the rest of the corp is in the background doing nothing.  It does not redeem itself at the end of the show and leaves the critics like myself yawning.

13th is slowly becoming a reality!

 

Edited by Phantombari1
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I hope 13th is not a reality, sad to say i'm in the camp where making finals is now the expectation. Which is downright sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EricS said:

22 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The reports PR's death may have been a little premature. It appears a comeback of sorts is in the works.

they are much improved, though I would not liken this to a comeback or anything near it. 

Thinking the singing at the end is hokey while not mentioning it at the opening shows that you don’t understand the story of JOA, nor the show concept. If you did, it would be one of your favorite moments.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phantombari1 said:

Just catching up on everything and took some time to view the show...

I'll say it over until I'm blue in the face...The product given to the kids is far below what I would call Regiment Standards.  It is very muddy visually and no amount of cleaning will fix it.  Its a design issue.  (IMO) The music is nowhere near the source music and is presented in such a butchered style that only ardent Phantom Phans will appreciate it.

After several years of seeing what some of the staff can do I've come to the conclusion they're in over their heads.  Maybe its a confidence issue, but whatever it is, its showing on the field in just about every facet of the show. They are not ready for prime time.

Let's take the Fire of Eternal Glory section...and I emphasis (Section).  What once was one of the greatest ballads ever created for drumcorp has now become a whisper of what it once was...to me the ensemble lacks any impact and therefore is a waste of time and talent, given the fact that the rest of the corp is in the background doing nothing.  It does not redeem itself at the end of the show and leaves the critics like myself yawning.

13th is slowly becoming a reality!

 

Agreed.

The visual is frantic, not cleanable, bad design. They're running all over the place with very little actual drill. Scatter drills are ok once in a while for effect but not the entire show.

I'm all for giving younger people a chance but Will had his chance and should have been let go after Phantasm, also visually a very frantic show. Will fails to bring out the emotions of the original music.

The singing at the end sounds like an Up With People song gone wrong.

Edited by shawn craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shawn craig said:

Agreed.

The visual is frantic, not cleanable, bad design. They're running all over the place with very little actual drill. Scatter drills are ok once in a while for effect but not the entire show.

I'm all for giving younger people a chance but Will had his chance and should have been let go after Phantasm, also visually a very frantic show. Will fails to bring out the emotions of the original music.

The singing at the end sounds like an Up With People song gone wrong.

You mean like scv?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know. The elements people are complaining about here are in most other shows I've seen this year. And as for complaint about the props not moving around, I'm very ok with that. They serve their purpose for hiding performers as needed. Many corps' props become too much of the visual focus (i.e. a distraction - have you see the 4 giant, white spaceships/tanks?). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference (IMO) is that most of the other corps above them have effective music, drills and use of props.  The scores reflect that.  Phantom  seems to be doing the very basics to get by.  I don't think that's fair to the kids that invest in the program.  

While making the top 12 is a goal for some corps, I don't think Phantom going in the other direction is something we would have ever expected. Its beyond disappointing.

 

At some point you'd think they'd put pride aside and do what's right for the future of the corp.  One can only hope.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if the corps moved into 8th place will you change your tune?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Phantombari1 said:

The difference (IMO) is that most of the other corps above them have effective music, drills and use of props.  The scores reflect that.  Phantom  seems to be doing the very basics to get by.  I don't think that's fair to the kids that invest in the program.  

While making the top 12 is a goal for some corps, I don't think Phantom going in the other direction is something we would have ever expected. Its beyond disappointing.

 

At some point you'd think they'd put pride aside and do what's right for the future of the corp.  One can only hope.

 

I highly doubt it’s about pride. I honestly think the leaders believe they are creating a great show and are somehow being slighted by the judges. I have seen this problem personally over the past few years when I was volunteering. There is a disconnect between what is necessary for better placement and the planning, execution, and response to critique by the judges. I heard some serious whining a few years back when judges remarked about the plumes bouncing because the members were not marching smoothly. The reaction was to secure the plumes tighter to the helmets and complain that the judges were being ridiculously picky.

I have also noticed a tendency for the leadership to see something much better in their mind than what is actually occurring on the field. That’s something any music director can tell you is a habit to guard against. I know I had to stay vigilant to hear my groups as they really were and not the Eastman Wind Ensemble or the Cambridge Singers in my mind.

posted from the DrumScorps app

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.