2019 Phantom Regiment

19 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Ward Miller from Blue Stars stepped down as brass head. He's spearheaded some of the best sounding hornlines I've heard from that corps (Seriously, just listen to the Blue Stars brass sound starting in 2014, it's fantastic). 

Hopefully PR reaches out to him because whatever disaster is going on with PR's brass staff as a whole isn't working and could use some fresh ears. 

I would suspect (but can't verify) that staff members who are leaving their 2019 corps have already begun to reach out to the rest of Open and World class about possible open positions. With the ever growing social media, it would only make sense. 

While the idea of Ward Miller @ Regiment is an interesting one, gotta give him credit for his great work w/Blue Stars,  I think Brad Toth along with Will Pitts are starting to restore the Regiment’s signature sound. Now if we could please just get away from the synthesized bottom half and prerecorded stuff and replace it with honest to goodness horn playing. I for one would welcome that change.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

While the idea of Ward Miller @ Regiment is an interesting one, gotta give him credit for his great work w/Blue Stars,  I think Brad Toth along with Will Pitts are starting to restore the Regiment’s signature sound. Now if we could please just get away from the synthesized bottom half and prerecorded stuff and replace it with honest to goodness horn playing. I for one would welcome that change.

I tend to agree. I still think the visual program needs the most work and wish Will Pitts would stick to arranging and relinquish his show coordinating duties, though I don’t have a good candidate for that position. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I tend to agree. I still think the visual program needs the most work and wish Will Pitts would stick to arranging and relinquish his show coordinating duties, though I don’t have a good candidate for that position. 

Agree whole heartedly. I just think it’s unfortunate that the task of “bugling/horn playing” is being offloaded to electronics to free up marchers for dance/awkward body movements/pushing props around. Thankfully, there are a couple of corps that still manage to march and play at the same time.

Is it time for Regiment to tap a successful WGI designer? I’m not sure nor do I think fans would like it to happen. Question is, if this is what’s needed to revive their competitive edge would the die hard fans accept it or ridicule it?

Please, gimme a second to don my asbestos unitard before you flame me.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Agree whole heartedly. I just think it’s unfortunate that the task of “bugling/horn playing” is being offloaded to electronics to free up marchers for dance/awkward body movements/pushing props around. Thankfully, there are a couple of corps that still manage to march and play at the same time.

Is it time for Regiment to tap a successful WGI designer? I’m not sure nor do I think fans would like it to happen. Question is, if this is what’s needed to revive their competitive edge would the die hard fans accept it or ridicule it?

Thanks in advance

No flames from me. I’m kind of a march and let march kind of guy. I like all styles of movement. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Think of it this way...it would probably STILL be more comfortable than the 80's and earlier iterations of uniforms. I have no idea of how I survived (but I'm far more of a wimp when it comes to heat now.)

12 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I didn't connect to many of the shows this year that I felt were over the top in electronics and vertical staging. I also didn't love some of the musical selections in the top 16 corps. But I did (and always will,) try to find the good in every corps. 

I think tapping some WGI talent would be a good thing even if it's just in a consulting role. 

Just now, Jurassic Lancer said:

No flames from me. I’m kind of a march and let march kind of guy. I like all styles of movement. 

the new electronix guy at Regiment for the second part of the '19 season is someone who well understands the sentiments expressed above, recently aged out only two seasons ago, and had to follow instructions from the front office, caption manager, and program coordinator.  So he shouldn't get all the flack.  Besides he's a distant cousin but a great guy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

the new electronix guy at Regiment for the second part of the '19 season is someone who well understands the sentiments expressed above, recently aged out only two seasons ago, and had to follow instructions from the front office, caption manager, and program coordinator.  So he shouldn't get all the flack.  Besides he's a distant cousin but a great guy.

PR was FAR from the worst "offender" this year IMHO. I enjoyed their show tremendously once it was cleaned and got as good as it could get. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Think of it this way...it would probably STILL be more comfortable than the 80's and earlier iterations of uniforms. I have no idea of how I survived (but I'm far more of a wimp when it comes to heat ).

Khaki shirt ... khaki pants ... accessories. I loved 27th uniforms from back in the day.

• Like 2

Just now, Jurassic Lancer said:

Khaki shirt ... khaki pants ... accessories. I loved 27th uniforms from back in the day.

27th and Troopers always had what my father called "Iconic" uniforms. I miss being able to identify a lot of the corps strictly by the look. But at the same time, what the MM's are doing now requires the shift so I understand it 100%. 

• Like 2