2019 Phantom Regiment

On 8/25/2019 at 9:49 PM, kdaddy said:

3. Santa Clara Vanguard. Scott Koter, music guy (though I'd suspect the most influential voice on the design staff is Michael Gaines, visual guy)

Dunno. SCV's shows the past two years have the brass not moving while playing as much as possible, which arguably suggests the visual side deferring to the musical side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I see 9 visual vs 3 music, so yes. 

1. Blue Devils. Scott Chandler, visual guy  VISUAL
2. Bluecoats. Dean Westman, music guy   MUSIC
3. Santa Clara Vanguard. Scott Koter, music guy (though I'd suspect the most influential voice on the design staff is Michael Gaines, visual guy)  MUSIC  
4. Carolina Crown. Rick Subel, visual guy  VISUAL
5. Cavaliers. David McGrath, music guy   MUSIC
6. Boston Crusaders. Keith Potter, visual guy  VISUAL
7. Blue Knights. Kevin Shah, music guy (though indoor percussion guy) MUSIC
8. Blue Stars. Michael Shapiro, visual guy  VISUAL
9. The Cadets. Darcie Aungst, visual person VISUAL
10. Mandarins. Ike Jackson, music guy (though indoor percussion guy)  MUSIC
11. Crossmen. Ed Devlin, visual guy  VISUAL
12. Phantom Regiment. Will Pitts, music guy  MUSIC

I Still count 6 & 6.  now you suspect one of the MUSIC is really VISUAL, but the only way you get to 9 & 3 is counting KEVIN and IKE as visual.  Do you "suspect" all indoor percussion guys?

19 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

I Still count 6 & 6.  now you suspect one of the MUSIC is really VISUAL, but the only way you get to 9 & 3 is counting KEVIN and IKE as visual.  Do you "suspect" all indoor percussion guys?

Thanks for the recap of exactly what I wrote but with MUSIC and VISUAL in caps. Clearly, I would put guys who have a strong presence in indoor percussion as heavily influenced by visual. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Dunno. SCV's shows the past two years have the brass not moving while playing as much as possible, which arguably suggests the visual side deferring to the musical side.

That could also be Michael Gaines being really good at staging and creating moments. 

But my point in saying that Michael Gaines was influential is that he really is the face of the organization. The style of programs have changed substantially since he's come on board, and the use of props and staging has been significant. 

7 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Thanks for the recap of exactly what I wrote but with MUSIC and VISUAL in caps. Clearly, I would put guys who have a strong presence in indoor percussion as heavily influenced by visual. 

You may know more than I, but I think both Kevin and Ike think of themselves as percussionists and I still think that qualifies as music and their titles seem to indicate they are on the music side.  But again, you may know more than I.

9 hours ago, kdaddy said:

That could also be Michael Gaines being really good at staging and creating moments. 

But my point in saying that Michael Gaines was influential is that he really is the face of the organization. The style of programs have changed substantially since he's come on board, and the use of props and staging has been significant. 

The style of programs for everyone has changed substantially in the past couple of years.  And the design process itself, where visual can lead music instead of always vice-versa, has clearly morphed over time.  But that 6-6 coordinator count was not the best way to corroborate this.

50 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The style of programs for everyone has changed substantially in the past couple of years.  And the design process itself, where visual can lead music instead of always vice-versa, has clearly morphed over time.  But that 6-6 coordinator count was not the best way to corroborate this.

Cool. You don't have to agree. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Does Phantom have the bankroll for that, or is it going to be a slow grind back to success?

It would not appear so and (IMO), there is no 'slow grind back to success' anymore. They have been fortunate thus far in spite of falling placements and scores. If this continues, I feel they could go the way of other corps (2-7) who were successful, then fell off and now are no more.

• Sad 1

There was an allusion made in another thread about JD Shaw returning to Regiment. No idea if that's legit, but if so, what INSTANT credibility to build a design team around. You call a drill designer and say "oh, and JD Shaw is arranging," and that changes a conversation.

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

There was an allusion made in another thread about JD Shaw returning to Regiment. No idea if that's legit, but if so, what INSTANT credibility to build a design team around. You call a drill designer and say "oh, and JD Shaw is arranging," and that changes a conversation.

I’m sure there are caption heads who prefer to work with certain caption heads.