2019 Phantom Regiment

On 4/18/2019 at 3:55 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i march in Phantom cause i like 4th place...

What was our old phrase at Corpsvets (CV) back in the mid 2000's? Oh yeah...."We take 9th so you don't have to." 

I love PR from the bottom of my heart and I truly hope they can manage to find the right formula to make them truly competitive again. I'm not much of an armchair quarterback and usually don't respond negatively to shows (at least on an open forum where parents, mm's and alumni can see them) unless it just truly something horrid.....*cough*verbaldrumbreak*cough*

PR needs a show that speaks to people and is staged well and that they can actually pull off. 300 people ahead of me have already said that. I still, to this day, feel like 2010 was a back breaker. That show deserved better than what it got and I will howl about it until my dying day. But I do want to point out one thing. 

Since it's inception PR has averaged 6th place. From 1996 to 2008, they averaged 5th. From 2008 to 2018, they averaged 7th. The whole "PR is doomed and we will need a new designer and a goat to sacrifice to drum corps gods" just seems a bit overly dramatic to me. They've shifted an average of 2 places 22 years. That's just not a huge shift if you put it into perspective. /shrug

• Like 2

The issues are, where are they trending and are the shows getting better? Clearly the trend is downward and the shows are not getting better. I agree that 2010 was AWESOME! Well, we're in 2019 and that means exactly JACK SQUAT ($1 to Chris Farley).

The current DCI model does not allow for sustained musical moments (Drum corps ADD as someone put it once) and if they are playing Fire of Eternal Glory, that is not a selection that you can chop into little pieces, throw in a 45 second drum break, and have it mean anything (IMO). Thus, all these factors taken into consideration have given me an uneasy feeling about 2019. Look, (no disrespect intended) they got beat by the Mandarins! Why? Because the show design was WAY better than Regiment.

I will bleed Regiment Red, White, and Black until I die, but the direction of the corps does not appear to be one of competitiveness, i.e. remaining in the top 12.

Edited by Rocketman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

The current DCI model does not allow for sustained musical moments (Drum corps ADD as someone put it once) and if they are playing Fire of Eternal Glory, that is not a selection that you can chop into little pieces, throw in a 45 second drum break, and have it mean anything (IMO).

Excellent point. The best example for me of that sustained moment to this day is still '87 Cadets. It was a 12 minute sustained musical moment LOL. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Excellent point. The best example for me of that sustained moment to this day is still '87 Cadets. It was a 12 minute sustained musical moment LOL. 

And they M&M’d the whole time.  Today’s performers are obviously no longer the musicians they once were, and why should they be when supplemented by electronics and loud speakers, and show’s are being designed around visuals.  Before long football fields will no longer be good enough.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

Before long football fields will no longer be good enough.  

Maybe more cricket and Australian Rules Football pitches need to be built.  Maybe DCP poster Galen could look into this.

Edited by Ghost

What I find sad is, supposedly, these kids are tremendously more talented than those in the 70s, 80s, 90s, yet IMO, their talents are being wasted when you limit their opportunities to showcase them by, insert drum break here, activate recorded section there, run around like banshees until the dog whistle blows, and other 'design' elements that, again IMO, do not involve actual playing of their instruments (while actually moving would be nice) or a coordinated equipment section. Then again, I'm a dinosaur. Look, there were some shows last year that I really liked, Vanguard, Boston, Mandarins, Cavaliers (until they changed the ending). I can appreciate the attempts at trying to be different however, the reality is, all the shows have the same elements, over reliance on electronics rather than attempting to create organically, playing the more difficult sections while standing still, overwritten (IMO) drum parts that compete with rather than complement the brass arrangements, brass scale runs that are thrown in whether or not they were actually part of the original chart, props that (IMO) do not necessarily add to the overall production value of the show (Regiment, BD, Crossmen, etc). But like I said, I'm a dinosaur.

Edited by Rocketman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rocketman said:

What I find sad is, supposedly, these kids are tremendously more talented than those in the 70s, 80s, 90s, yet IMO, their talents are being wasted when you limit their opportunities to showcase them by, insert drum break here, activate recorded section there, run around like banshees until the dog whistle blows, and other 'design' elements that, again IMO, do not involve actual playing of their instruments (while actually moving would be nice) or a coordinated equipment section. Then again, I'm a dinosaur. Look, there were some shows last year that I really liked, Vanguard, Boston, Mandarins, Cavaliers (until they changed the ending). I can appreciate the attempts at trying to be different however, the reality is, all the shows have the same elements, over reliance on electronics rather than attempting to create organically, playing the more difficult sections while standing still, overwritten (IMO) drum parts that compete with rather than complement the brass arrangements, brass scale runs that are thrown in whether or not they were actually part of the original chart, props that (IMO) do not necessarily add to the overall production value of the show (Regiment, BD, Crossmen, etc). But like I said, I'm a dinosaur.

Agreed. Fire of Eternal Glory would not be given time to develop as it did long, long to go. That was the point I tried to make earlier........ as for the direction of the activity? Not my cup of tea ...so I have moved on.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Not long enough to develop? Did you not listen to BD in ‘17? 

• Like 2