2019 Phantom Regiment

38 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I didn't march in 92.  Now if you want to talk about 89..sure! 🙂

Oh, I'm mixing my people up here. You marched '89 Regiment? That was a fantastic show. I'm sure you haven't heard that before 🙂 I just love when the guard has the red flags. Looks so beautiful. Whole thing was the best visual design for its time. For sure.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MikeN said:

I'd say anyone who saw Regiment in '96 would disagree with you.

Mike

95 was no slouch either

• Like 2

You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone!

-Herb Brooks

• Thanks 1

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

- Stolen from another hockey guy, Darryl Reaugh

My "official" HYPE-O-METER Rating for the 2019 Phantom Regiment production "Joan"...

2eds35w.jpg

Edited by Cainan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

That's always been an interesting (and I think true) statement. When I was at university, I had a private voice teacher tell me that I had as much or more talent than any of her other voice students. Then she put in the infamous "but sandwich" by saying "But, you are also the single laziest voice student I've ever had." I just refused to study or practice when it came to voice. Instrumental music, I worked my ### off. 

I have a member of my team at work who's son graduates high school this summer. He is going to audition for Atlanta CV (he has Aspergers and his parents think he should start out slowly and see how his attention span is.) I've told her multiple times that talent will only get a performer so far. Drum Corps is and always will be, a test of work ethic. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 9:02 AM, OldSnareDrummer said:

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

- Stolen from another hockey guy, Darryl Reaugh

That's very true, but hard work doesn't beat talent when talent works hard. 

Edited by queenanne_1536

17 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That's always been an interesting (and I think true) statement. When I was at university, I had a private voice teacher tell me that I had as much or more talent than any of her other voice students. Then she put in the infamous "but sandwich" by saying "But, you are also the single laziest voice student I've ever had." I just refused to study or practice when it came to voice. Instrumental music, I worked my ### off. 

I have a member of my team at work who's son graduates high school this summer. He is going to audition for Atlanta CV (he has Aspergers and his parents think he should start out slowly and see how his attention span is.) I've told her multiple times that talent will only get a performer so far. Drum Corps is and always will be, a test of work ethic. 

I was the same way with the trumpet. I never wanted to play it, so I didn’t practice much. I was still one of the better players than most of the trumpet section because I had natural talent. Had I worked at it, I would have perhaps been the best, but I certainly was better than others who worked much harder than I.

I think it's like anything else. You can have weaker "talent" but wouldn't how you use the talent you have be the real factor? If you have a group that can't dance, then don't dance. Stage them in a different way. I think that's a lot of the argument of some of the old grumps about drum corps getting away from it's roots. If you have someone who can do back flips across the field, should it be done just because you can do it? Or should it actually add something to the show?

My question would be to those of you who have judged shows. I think the majority of us have marched enough DCI and/or DCA shows to have thought about GE from a member perspective. But from a judging perspective, if I have Corps-A who is solid across all fundamentals and staged well WITHIN THEIR ABILITIES but perhaps not as exciting because there are no flaming ramps of doom, giant steel stacking boxes of death and members hanging from high wires, will they score as well as Corps-B who has all the bells and whistles but maybe doesn't have the best feet?

In an individual sport / activity, talent vs hard work is very easy to spot. I can watch a pool player for 10 minutes and tell you whether or not he or she would be able to win just about ANY match. You can be the best shot maker in the world because you're naturally talented but eventually you'll get so far out of line that you'll miss the ball and the table will change hands. Practice and hard work are the only thing that will teach you to play smart.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
Because I forgot to type about 1/2 a paragraph
  • Thanks 1