2019 Phantom Regiment

I feel very optimistic, here's my 2 cents

That Carmina Burana hit is clean

Break in FoEG surprised me, in between  I think will grow on me, but that ending makes me ☺️

Battery book is a little samey, but pretty clean

I don't think this finishes last in Detroit. 

LOVE what I heard from the park tonight. This show will be a fan favorite for many I think...

First Impression:

If you’re going to use Carmina Burana, then please USE  Carmina Burana. Where was it other then the one hit at beginning?

The beginning really was toooooo slow for me with the piano then singing.

agree with another post regarding the drum parts. Pretty clean but meh.

hated the call to war singing near the end. Very Up with People.

FofE Glory. Could be so fantastic but why the break in the middle?

brass sounds good enough but somewhat young. 

Think they stay in the 11/12 range, don’t see them dropping out of finals unless other corps are just killing it. But don’t see them moving up with this brass book.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

First Impression:

If you’re going to use Carmina Burana, then please USE  Carmina Barana. Where was it other then the one hit at beginning?

The beginning really was toooooo slow for me with the piano then singing.

agree with another post regarding the drum parts. Pretty clean but meh.

hated the call to war singing near the end. Very Up with People.

FofE Glory. Could be so fantastic but why the break in the middle?

brass sounds good enough but somewhat young. 

Think they stay in the 11/12 range, don’t see them dropping out of finals unless other corps are just killing it. But don’t see them moving up with this brass book.

Carmina is used again by the mello soloist before the corps comes back with the ending of Fire. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Carmina is used again by the mello soloist before the corps comes back with the ending of Fire. 

Also comes up again at the beginning of the finale sequence. Btw my two cents on the performance: that is one brass book, and that is one hornline. Just loving this show for that group. Battery book obviously isn't the flashiest but they're certainly pulling it off well for the time being. Certainly a step up for the corps from last year and possibly the best pre-tour Phantom in my time around the activity (since 2014ish)

Edited by brassdude6171

Wow...abysmal. There are some decent moments, but Will Pitts should not try and reinvent things like Fire of Eternal Glory. The small ensemble voicing weakens the piece, then we get an awkwardly placed up tempo percussion feature with horn parts that make no sense, followed by the hit in Fire, which can’t be left alone, but we have to have a resolution that is a change for the sake of change, to an ending I’m sure will change.

There are so many many disjointed transitions with battery rams for the sake of it. 

I say 14th.

• Like 4

First, this concert venue is acoustically a nightmare. It doesn't hold sound well, it is extremely difficult for the performers to hear much past themselves, and they are playing into a hill. That stated, I NEVER get emotional connections or goosebumps to these early season concert in the park videos, but this one got me. My impressions:

• THIS is the Phantom Regiment we have all loved for decades
  • Who better to play Carmina 
  • The arrangers did their due diligence at harkening back but making it new again
  • The a cappella ending to FoEG is perfect
  • The use of Carmina snippets throughout in various voices is a strong and intelligent musical thread
  • I dig the vocal come-together moment
  • I am more than fine with the nods to the Spartacus production
  • Batterie sounds their best for several years
  • The beginning really draws you in
  • There are some voice leadings and minor pacing things that may need attention (though that may not be perceived when live and with visuals)
  • Love the uniforms/costumes
  • The visual team has their work cut out for them to make sure this is all elevated

Edited by cadetzoid

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

very much so I did

Mmmm, saw what you did there, I did, yes...