2019 Phantom Regiment

I understand arranging a piece you may want to change things, but I have a big issue when the piece is arranged in a way that it's barely recognizable. This isn't solely a PR thing, but they seem to be the biggest culprits these last few years (with no blame on the members). There's nothing wrong with the originals, so why approach them in a "I believe I can write it better" philosophy? 

I was really hoping they weren't going to do a "We are Joan!" It just seems too cliche for my taste.

As for the performance, the horn line sounds very young. It concerns me that there are some struggles during a stand still. Those things are only going to get worse on the move. I really, really hope they can pull this show off, but I am very concerned for them.  

Feel free to rip my opinions to shreds. PR was the first drum corps show I ever saw and I've been fond of them ever since. I really want this corps to be at the top, but I just don't see that happening right now. A LOT of work needs to be done, and not just from the members.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, East9900 said:

I understand arranging a piece you may want to change things, but I have a big issue when the piece is arranged in a way that it's barely recognizable. This isn't solely a PR thing, but they seem to be the biggest culprits these last few years (with no blame on the members). There's nothing wrong with the originals, so why approach them in a "I believe I can write it better" philosophy? 

I was really hoping they weren't going to do a "We are Joan!" It just seems too cliche for my taste.

As for the performance, the horn line sounds very young. It concerns me that there are some struggles during a stand still. Those things are only going to get worse on the move. I really, really hope they can pull this show off, but I am very concerned for them.  

Feel free to rip my opinions to shreds. PR was the first drum corps show I ever saw and I've been fond of them ever since. I really want this corps to be at the top, but I just don't see that happening right now. A LOT of work needs to be done, and not just from the members.

I am curious as to which piece you think barley recognizable? Or were you just stating that as a general comment because there are certainly some liberties being taken here. I like that I hear energy and passion in the music. I like that I feel I can follow a narrative already. When in their position, trying to reinvent yourself yet remain to some degree what you have always been, while trying to crawl up the competitive mountain, the passion in some cases elevates your talent level. We will see. I am greatly encouraged. 

Any video of this performance out there anywhere yet? 

And yes, I have checked a few places and found nothing so far.   LOL.

@Fran Haring,

See year1buick's post on page 82...

Just now, gak27 said:

@Fran Haring,

See year1buick's post on page 82...

Thank you!!!

I promise the next time, I'll read more than two previous posts on this thread before I say anything.  :tongue:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, cadetzoid said:

I am curious as to which piece you think barley recognizable? Or were you just stating that as a general comment because there are certainly some liberties being taken here. I like that I hear energy and passion in the music. I like that I feel I can follow a narrative already. When in their position, trying to reinvent yourself yet remain to some degree what you have always been, while trying to crawl up the competitive mountain, the passion in some cases elevates your talent level. We will see. I am greatly encouraged. 

I was speaking in generalities mostly. I will say that last year's ballad of NWS felt like almost a full rewrite and I did not care for it.

As for this year, I would say it was more about the liberties that were taken. I understand that a lot of corps do that, but when it is a classical masterpiece it seems a bit more blatant. I feel like FoEG is fine just the way it is. I didn't care for splitting it up with a drum break. Also the mellophone solo was a callback of Carmina Burana but chose to end it on a different note (I don't understand why it couldn't have resolved the same way- that small moment reminds me a lot of what was done last year with NWS. Why change that melody?). 

I totally understand wanting to reinvent yourself, I just don't like the way the creative team is choosing to do it. There are certain things where it seems like they are trying to fix something that isn't broken. They are a classical corps and the classical pieces they are doing are incredible. With this creative team, the liberties that they have chosen to take just rub me the wrong way. 

If you are encouraged, then I am in no way going to persuade you otherwise. I know my opinion is just that. I do hope for the best for them and hope for a successful year.

NOT a fan of the break in FoEG
Break in FoEG surprised me
I didn't care for splitting it up with a drum break.  
FofE Glory. Could be so fantastic but why the break in the middle?

that ending makes me ☺️.  
The ending sounds like some of the vocal histrionics you hear on American Idol. 

LOVE what I heard from the park tonight.
Wow...abysmal.

that is one brass book, and that is one hornline. Just loving this show for that group. ...certainly a step up for the corps
don’t see them moving up with this brass book.

Will Pitts should not try and reinvent things like Fire of Eternal Glory . . .  we have to have a resolution that is a change for the sake of change
The arrangers did their due diligence at harkening back but making it new again 

It concerns me that there are some struggles during a stand still. 
The corps sounds great

So, we're all in agreement, then.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

As usual.  They can prove the naysayers wrong on June 20, everything in between, and finally, on 8/10.  

Until then, we’re all just speculating. 

Absolutely.

I would think a  lot depends on how the music fits the visual, and vice versa.

That break in "Fire" does sound jarring in a concert setting... but if the visual planned for that segment sells it, then good for them.

• Like 3