2019 Phantom Regiment

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Actually headed to Zionsville & Evansville.  Will not be back to Detroit due to a horrible hotel experience downtown.  Liked downtown & Ford Field, but a substandard level of hospitality from a Hilton product.  Would love to see the premiere back in Indy.  

nope...enough of you Midwesterner bandos.  How about making the opener in the dome in Arizona and getting the West Coast and Rocky Mountain corps involved, maybe even Texas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

This edition of Phantom Regiment will be entertaining and they have tons of potential with the musical program. I assume the drum break in FoEG if some sort of conflict (let’s see how that plays out on the field) but man.o’ man you can’t beat that resolution. Kudos for giving this piece it’s time to develop! The O’ Fortuna references are woven in nicely. Can’t wait to see how this show matures.

An early season SUTA to the MMs of 2019 PR

I think the break in FoEG is going to be the uniform/costume change. Based off the reveal, it looks the hornline has two different uniforms, so this would be my guess. Stay dark for the beginning, and then reveal the lighter colored uniform for the hit. 

Edited by hc6434ot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, East9900 said:

Some of the best writers of all time have had their critics and Will is no different. He doesn't need to be shielded by his critics because I'm sure his skin is plenty thick enough.

That's for sure.

I mean, here's a guy who was stabbed to death in front of thousands of people, and is still going strong!!! :tongue:

• Haha 6

Just now, Fran Haring said:

That's for sure.

I mean, here's a guy who was stabbed to death in front of thousands of people, and is still going strong!!! :tongue:

and Reliable Rondo still has him yearly as part of the Indy TV panel.  Go figya.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

AND he got stepped on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, I've given this a couple good listens, and my opinion is it's....actually far beyond what I expected. I'm certainly not making any claims of "Phantom's Back!!", etc., but I will at least say definitively that this reads much better than last year's neutered music book.

The opening breathy singing is a bit cringey to my ears. It implies the opposite of what the rest of the music book does, which is power. I didn't care for that at all, but I realize that it could just need to be paired with visuals in order to work properly.

Other than that....pretty solid all around. Of course the Carmina Burana opening statement is terrific, and I'll always be a sucker for that. The bulk of the opener after that is quite meaty & dense, and I love the mello rips and then the little jazzy return to Carmina Burana. Lots of thick music to sink their teeth into, but it reads as fairly lucid & accessible, which is something that last year's dense music didn't have --- it just seemed dense & knotty for difficulty's sake. Yes, FoEG being being broken up is odd, but the payoff statement is pretty nice. I trust that that whole section (including the Carmina Burana return in the mallets and then those delicious trombone rips upward) will be the visual high points of show, maybe a burning at the stake? The 30 Seconds to Mars part is actually...pretty current & interesting. The kids are clearly already really into that section. It's written well and ties into what comes after it beautifully. Transition back to Carmina Burana and that entire closer is just...well....quite nice. It's really refreshing and, frankly, unexpected, to hear Phantom come out with a music book loaded with passion & intent. I enjoyed listening to it and heard many shades of potential.

Edited by Jake W.
  • Like 1

So, I try to not read too much into the music anyone is playing because, it's all about the visual! That said, and in light of their last, oh, five years visual shows, they have their work cut out for them. Last year, for example, I didn't really get the jungle gyms or tarp along the front, or should I say, they didn't do anything for 'me'. It came across to me like, 'we need to do something to stay relevant'. Yeah, that didn't work out so well (to me). Andrew Desmond (Visual Designer), has no corps experience as a designer. His limited corps experience was as a visual instructor for the Blue Knights from 2015-2018.

So, yes, I will be pulling for them as I always do. However, I remain skeptical/hopeful that they enter 2019 with a 2019 visual program. Sort of that, it could be a long summer.  

29 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Lots of vastly different impressions on this one it seems, I've got some very strong thoughts on this and what I've seen of the drill but I'll wait until opening night until I share those.  Hmm.  

Gird your loins. 

• Haha 1

Mods? Against the rules to post the Phantom's performance via periscope here?