2019 Phantom Regiment

This is a tough crowd.

And there isn't even a full show to be a crowd for yet. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hc6434ot said:

I think the break in FoEG is going to be the uniform/costume change. Based off the reveal, it looks the hornline has two different uniforms, so this would be my guess. Stay dark for the beginning, and then reveal the lighter colored uniform for the hit. 

I think the light uniforms look fantastic!

Mike

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think someone already posted it.  

Ok good. Ty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake W. said:

Ok, I've given this a couple good listens, and my opinion is it's....actually far beyond what I expected. I'm certainly not making any claims of "Phantom's Back!!", etc., but I will at least say definitively that this reads much better than last year's neutered music book.

The opening breathy singing is a bit cringey to my ears. It implies the opposite of what the rest of the music book does, which is power. I didn't care for that at all, but I realize that it could just need to be paired with visuals in order to work properly.

Other than that....pretty solid all around. Of course the Carmina Burana opening statement is terrific, and I'll always be a sucker for that. The bulk of the opener after that is quite meaty & dense, and I love the mello rips and then the little jazzy return to Carmina Burana. Lots of thick music to sink their teeth into, but it reads as fairly lucid & accessible, which is something that last year's dense music didn't have --- it just seemed dense & knotty for difficulty's sake. Yes, FoEG being being broken up is odd, but the payoff statement is pretty nice. I trust that that whole section (including the Carmina Burana return in the mallets and then those delicious trombone rips upward) will be the visual high points of show, maybe a burning at the stake? The 30 Seconds to Mars part is actually...pretty current & interesting. The kids are clearly already really into that section. It's written well and ties into what comes after it beautifully. Transition back to Carmina Burana and that entire closer is just...well....quite nice. It's really refreshing and, frankly, unexpected, to hear Phantom come out with a music book loaded with passion & intent. I enjoyed listening to it and heard many shades of potential.

THIS. 

Can't wait to see this show on the field.  They look amazing and is that some volume, dynamics and dare I say emotion I am starting to hear?    This is a pleasant surprise.  Watch them to be a sleeper corps this year.  It looks like members are really loving it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Ok good. Ty

year1buick's post, page 82...

I look forward to seeing it all together. I had a good feeling about last year's concert in the park viewing, and that went south quickly. I have a similar feeling this year- the show feels designed in a very similar way.  

On 6/10/2019 at 1:20 AM, RADIO3 said:

These kind of comments are irritating... you may be right... but you need to say WHY??.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:09 AM, tigger2 said:

Why do you not like the arrangement? Did you hear it without percussion? electronics? Perhaps that would alter your perception? I am not sure Will is singularly responsible for the dynamics displayed by the music ensemble. Perhaps they are in the "build your chops, put air through the horn" stage of developing the brass. Is it too easy to be bluntly critical these days, as such seems to be more prevalent now than ever here on DCP and social media in general? 

On 6/10/2019 at 9:23 AM, kdaddy said:

If true, it's interesting that the previous (and iconic) arrangement was done by... an insurance salesman. Not by a guy who makes his living from composing and arranging.

The recording I saw was of regiment on the football field. It was in full, percussion, drill, and everything. 

The best way to describe it, to steal from another user, is "neutered." He essentially gave us 30 seconds of the piece, and then, without reaching close to the climax of the piece, transitions off to a fast paced percussion section (and yes, the resolution is nice but the break in between is so unnecessary musically. Especially because the drum writing is so repetitive and unmusical)

I've defended this corps on DCP through the slump but man I'm getting tired of it.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Thanks 1

My complaint, not necessarily specific to the Regiment, is percussion arrangements that (IMO) are not musical and appear to be notes for the sake of notes, regardless of the brass arrangement. And yes, Regiment, look in the mirror. I also listened to Boston and they were incredibly musical.

Edited by Rocketman