2019 Phantom Regiment

8 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I look forward to seeing it all together. I had a good feeling about last year's concert in the park viewing, and that went south quickly. I have a similar feeling this year- the show feels designed in a very similar way.  

Same tired formula that shows total lack of creativity. And the usual crutch of a female around which to build a story line is way past being done. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EricS said:

Same tired formula that shows total lack of creativity. And the usual crutch of a female around which to build a story line is way past being done. 

Do you really mean 100% lack of creativity? Not one visual or musical thought that lasts even one measure that is creative? I am greatly encouraged by what I hear!  I have heard five show runs now from the top 12. My two favorite hands down are Boston and Regiment. Hands down. The theme? Below is a link I encourage you to look at regarding themes. There are many other sources out there that support this view of limited stories in all of literature and related arts:

https://lenwilson.us/seven-stories/

Edited by yellvanguard

15 hours ago, Rocketman said:

My complaint, not necessarily specific to the Regiment, is percussion arrangements that (IMO) are not musical and appear to be notes for the sake of notes, regardless of the brass arrangement. And yes, Regiment, look in the mirror. I also listed to Boston and they were incredibly musical.

I would happen to agree on this one though until I see it come together in more than a 30 or 45 second snippet, it's a little hard to really say yes or no on a particular show.

The trend for a while seems to be to write books that encourage ramming as many notes with as much hybrid sticking as possible into shows and to do it with as much exposure as possible. Maybe I'm wrong in that and I'll probably catch #### for saying it but, even as a drummer it's gotten a little tedious. The last time I heard a good battery and front ensamble book from end to end in a show for PR was 2010 (IMHO.)

I brought this up in another thread, but I believe it's worth mentioning here as well. With field judges now relegated to the sidelines and box (though Jeff mentioned a zone so there may be SOME field presence,) will this force corps to change the way the percussion book is written? Exposing the battery up front to max out the percussion score could also encourage more 32 counts of "thuderous goo" moments (2 points to Hockeydad) for that purpose. 

Please note I am not a judge. I have never been a judge and have no desire to do what they do. Nor have I been a writer at the DCI level. I'm just an old drummer. And I like notes too. But ONLY if they make sense in the ensemble.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 2

Rennicks lines at Phantom were some of my favorite lines ever

• Like 3

4 hours ago, karuna said:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why some fans are so opposed to PR changing it's style.  There is hardly a corps that has not radically changed.  I will be the first to say that I love watching some of PR's past shows but DCI has moved on and if PR does not move on with the other corps they will be left in the dust.  The old PR is not going to cut it.  Vanguard is a perfect example.  And sadly, if Shaw and Rennick had been allowed to do what they do best they would probably still be at PR.   Hate me if you like, but Will Pitts' ability is simply not good enough to keep up with today's show designers. 

Edited by EricS

On 6/12/2019 at 9:28 AM, cadetzoid said:

I am curious as to which piece you think barley recognizable? Or were you just stating that as a general comment because there are certainly some liberties being taken here. I like that I hear energy and passion in the music. I like that I feel I can follow a narrative already. When in their position, trying to reinvent yourself yet remain to some degree what you have always been, while trying to crawl up the competitive mountain, the passion in some cases elevates your talent level. We will see. I am greatly encouraged. 

Best they have sounded pre-tour in many years. I agree that I am encouraged by what I have heard so far.

55 minutes ago, EricS said:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why some fans are so opposed to PR changing it's style.  There is hardly a corps that has not radically changed.  I will be the first to say that I love watching some of PR's past shows but DCI has moved on and if PR does not move on with the other corps they will be left in the dust.  The old PR is not going to cut it.  Vanguard is a perfect example.  And sadly, if Shaw and Rennick had been allowed to do what they do best they would probably still be at PR.   Hate me if you like, but Will Pitts' ability is simply not good enough to keep up with today's show designers. 

Absolutely correct! Their design has been, at a minimum, five years behind even middle of the pack corps. Pitts first year arrangements (2016) weren't horrible, but the following two were (IMO) a down hill slide. This year is drastically better, but, better than what, 2018? That wouldn't take much. I maintain that the theme (IMO) shows a lack of creativity in that the powerhouse Pioneer did a similar theme in 2016. No, none of the same music, but the 'thought' is the same. Was there nothing else they could come up with?

A lot of corps are successful with themes that have no meaning to the average person (Session 44, Beast, Life Right After, etc). My concern is, the character Joan is a known entity and unless the design staff goes 'all in' with the interpretation, it could be disappointing. Unfortunately, (IMO) the corps has not gone 'all in' with the current wave of the activity. Boston doing Goliath is a known entity, but I am not concerned about Boston going 'all in'.