DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

Just now, Frollo said:

Fair point. That semis judge really set BD back putting them 4th whether or not they had a rough night, while BAC teetered at 1st and 2nd. Interesting recaps for championships but regardless, I’m happy for that drum corps. Very exciting for them as they grow into future champions.

posted from the DrumScorps app

This season was one of the most exciting in a while and the quality across the board was the best I've ever seen

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

Cadet won and she isn't in the same league as either BD or SCV conducting abilities. 

I'm going to assume you never were a drum major because conducting is honestly one of the less important things they do. Sure that's their roll during a show and what most people see but what you do off the field is 10x harder than what you do on that podium during a show.

Claire was my pick to win the award as well but I wouldn't have been surprised at all if Sam from Bluecoats won it either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

I was a DM in HS and College and based my comment on what I see on the podium, not to offend the unity or perseverance that the Cadets are working through. I generally pick the best conductor who wins this award. Congrats to her! 

Fair enough

Just now, wilme861 said:

I'm going to assume you never were a drum major because conducting is honestly one of the less important things they do. Sure that's their roll during a show and what most people see but what you do off the field is 10x harder than what you do on that podium during a show.

Claire was my pick to win the award as well but I wouldn't have been surprised at all if Sam from Bluecoats won it either.

You assumed wrongly, but I don't see how they judge leadership if its a panel.  Directors send feedback? Fly out on tour and observe? And Sam is a heck of a conductor IMO. 

3 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

What Claire did this year leading those Cadets is absolutely incredible. It was a well deserved award for her. And I agree, even down to the high school level, the job of drum major is 10-20% conducting and 80-90% everything else!

• Like 5

Congrats SCV!

wGi9vkk.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Give Joey time to develop as a designer. He's a young caption head that has a history of success where he teaches.

This! It takes time to develop a top-tier program. Look at what happened for BAC — you grow it over time, you get a good mix of rookies and vets accustomed to the teaching style, and look! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

This season was one of the most exciting in a while and the quality across the board was the best I've ever seen

It would have been nice to have seen a few shakeups on finals night...but I must agree...across the board a great season for sure...

Way too many pages to go thru but has anyone talked about BD not winning any caption awards... when's the last time that happened?

Congrats again to all the finalists, especially SCV for their championship and Mandarins for their 10th place finish for their first finals appearance.

• Like 2