DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

A committee decides the winner of the award. I am not sure what the exact criteria is or how they receive info about each DM, but I imagine they do look very closely at the way they conduct themselves (pun intended), the way they interact with the numerous people they meet on tour, how well they keep the members motivated, engaged, and organized, how they overcome adversity/challenges, etc. 

This is so true! There was no DM score sheets, it decided by committee.

1 minute ago, Dcbae!23 said:

Each drum major that wishes to be considered for the award submits an application (with the help of their corps director, who I think will also write a recommendation.) They then are interviewed via phone or in person at San Antonio by Gene Monterastelli, the DCI Hall-of-Famer who is kind of the DCI Drum Major/Leadership 'caption head', if you will. Not sure of the criteria but that's more info on the process.

Learned something new today :)

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

As others have mentioned, it is a leadership award. It’s wonderful for all of us to applaud and praise Cadets for their fine performances, hard work, grit, etc. we forget that it’s not about picking up instruments and giving it your all. Momentum had to be kept up all season. Morale had to be low at many moments. Down days had the potential to be worse for Cadets. Illnesses which can spread with a vengeance but for Cadets, it was probably a “what else can go wrong?” Keeping Cadets on track and upbeat was a huge job, and off the field the drum major is expected to play a huge role in this effort. Directors talk often.  My guess is they heard about Cadets challenges probably about Claire’s efforts and knew she embodied the award.

I agree with everything here! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frollo said:

BD got highest score at finals but averaging all three nights, BAC had the highest score overall.

posted from the DrumScorps app

My understanding is that if there is a tie after averaging all 3 nights, then the tie is broken by awarding the Zingali to whichever corps has the higher guard score on finals night.

Given that these caption scores can now stretch out to 4 places, it seems unlikely that a tie would occur but if it did, does DCI have a tie-breaker to break a tie?

Just curious.

5 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Way too many pages to go thru but has anyone talked about BD not winning any caption awards... when's the last time that happened?

Congrats again to all the finalists, especially SCV for their championship and Mandarins for their 10th place finish for their first finals appearance.

The Mandarins METEORIC RISE remind me of Boston in late 1990's early 2000's...

BAC  1998 15th, 1999 9th, 2000 5th

Mandarin's 2015 20th, 2016 17th, 2017 13th, 2018 10th, 2019 ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

This is so true! There was no DM score sheets, it decided by committee.

if any drum major provided leadership this season unlike any DM ever had to do before, it's her. Well deserved

• Like 4

and no complaints. i'd have had Crossmen over Phantom, but thats about it. Great season, and the corps with the highest score won

2 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

More like 2016.

Woops you're right, not sure why I thought BD won the Brazale that year