DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

I skipped over a LOT of this thread -- couldn't keep up between watching the shows. But did anyone mention SCV's "two-fer" -- Open Class AND World Class?

Congrats on a AWESOME season!!!

• Like 3

Can't believe it's over... What a fun season. Congratulations SCV. Much respect. Also congrats BD, Bluecoats, Boston, and Mandarins. All of it deserved. Shout out to Crown and Cadets just because I think they deserve one lol...Thanks for all the good conversation everyone, even if it wasn't so positive sometimes. I'm sure we're all gonna miss this :( till next year

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jeremy. said:

You picture that because JD Shaw (brass arranger for the early 2000’s through Spartacus and I think til ‘10?) is now with Vanguard. He’s freaking amazing.

darnit.. I meant to quote the guy who said when he closed his eyes he could picture Phantom. I’m on my phone and not bout to go through searching. HAPPY FINALS NIGHT!!!! 

But yeah it make sense now why they have that sound.

3 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

Give it a rest. Time to move on. BAC worthy winners so congratulations to them. It’s clear that unless your group wins (BD) then you are going to complain and moan. Seasons over. Be gracious. Move on. 

I'd suggest you use the ignore function instead :)

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Is your screen name a reference to Star Trek Voyager? If that's the case, I LOVE Captain Janeway.

Robin Curtis as Lt. Saavik

3 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

Give it a rest. Time to move on. BAC worthy winners so congratulations to them. It’s clear that unless your group wins (BD) then you are going to complain and moan. Seasons over. Be gracious. Move on. 

Shades of 2008 maybe?

9 hours ago, Dcbae!23 said:
9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

A committee decides the winner of the award. I am not sure what the exact criteria is or how they receive info about each DM, but I imagine they do look very closely at the way they conduct themselves (pun intended), the way they interact with the numerous people they meet on tour, how well they keep the members motivated, engaged, and organized, how they overcome adversity/challenges, etc. 

Each drum major that wishes to be considered for the award submits an application (with the help of their corps director, who I think will also write a recommendation.) They then are interviewed via phone or in person at San Antonio by Gene Monterastelli, the DCI Hall-of-Famer who is kind of the DCI Drum Major/Leadership 'caption head', if you will. Not sure of the criteria but that's more info on the process.

Well, from my point of view with my butt in the seats, the conductor who impressed me the most waving his arms around and showing tremendous emotion and energy was the Vanguard guy standing on the podium, 30 yard line, left side.

If you sat on the right side of the 50 and disagree with my choice, that is a perfectly valid disagreement.  It's about perspective and that's mine.  :27_sunglasses:

14 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Well, from my point of view with my butt in the seats, the conductor who impressed me the most waving his arms around and showing tremendous emotion and energy was the Vanguard guy standing on the podium, 30 yard line, left side.

If you sat on the right side of the 50 and disagree with my choice, that is a perfectly valid disagreement.  It's about perspective and that's mine.  :27_sunglasses:

it's not a conducting award

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3