DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

9 hours ago, WWonka said:

Still not sure how SCV won. (Edit to clarify - Over BD. I figured BD had the formula and I did enjoy that show more "musically" . Not bagging on SCV.)

SCV won the way BD usually does, with excellence everywhere.  They had strength in all facets of the drum corps show and no weaknesses.

There was nothing wrong with BD, they had a tremendous program.  It's just SCV picked up a tenth here, a tenth there, and it all adds up to a win.

If you are an old-school fan of power drum corps with a horn line that would melt your face, you would have liked to have seen the Vanguard this year.  You would have left with a smile on your face.  :thumbup:

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Well, from my point of view with my butt in the seats, the conductor who impressed me the most waving his arms around and showing tremendous emotion and energy was the Vanguard guy standing on the podium, 30 yard line, left side.

If you sat on the right side of the 50 and disagree with my choice, that is a perfectly valid disagreement.  It's about perspective and that's mine.  :27_sunglasses:

Amazing, no doubt. He was just as enjoyable as the marching members on the field.

He also didn’t have the unenviable position of leading and keeping together a corps who went through what the Cadets did, and still manage to defy all expectations of what their corps could do. She earned the award.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WWonka said:

Well and in all fairness I never got to see it live and DC is kinda like...  

Maybe after listening a few more times it may grow in me.

I'm not being critical, but it really does help if you see it live! and in person.

The intensity and energy of the horn line is something you don't feel when seeing it on the little screen.  It is super exciting when sitting in the seats.

Not just this SCV show, but drum corps shows in general are like that, a hundred times better live!.  You kinda have to be there. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, George Dixon said:
23 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

If you sat on the right side of the 50 and disagree with my choice, that is a perfectly valid disagreement.  It's about perspective and that's mine.  :27_sunglasses:

it's not a conducting award

I gave out the conducting award.  From my perspective.  In the seats.

SCV wins.  :27_sunglasses:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Thanks as always for your useful commentary!

Maybe I'll see you in Williamsport.

I'd like that. We'll see what post finals diner we gather at. :D

19 minutes ago, t.a.r.b. said:

He also didn’t have the unenviable position of leading and keeping together a corps who went through what the Cadets did, and still manage to defy all expectations of what their corps could do. She earned the award.

Nobody said she didn't earn the award.  I certainly didn't say that and I don't think that.

I was giving my opinion about what I like seeing from a conductor on the field.  I guess I'm not being specific enough. 

The fact I like a particular conductor's style and performance does not detract from nor disparage anybody else.  It's my PERSPECTIVE and my OPINION, not an official DCI award.

But it should be.  :biggrin:

Edited by wvu80

Claire from Cadets deserves that leadership award all day and all night.

But...you're all wrong on conductor.  Pacific Crest backfield conductor, For. The. Win.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, year1buick said:

So this panic inducing moment happened during BD's Natural Woman. Seriously, you can't make this **** up. Luckily we have another in the living room that I could switch over to. (After enough profanity to make a sailor blush.)

VLkBWs0.jpg

So, BD's performance was too hot for your TV? :D

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

But...you're all wrong on conductor.  Pacific Crest backfield conductor, For. The. Win.

Fair enough.  I didn't see Pac Crest this year, maybe if I had I would feel as you do.

Since Pac Crest didn't get the air time the Big Boys did, would you care to elaborate on what you saw, or what you liked?