DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

it's a topic because Cadets won something. Bottomline - and I learned this decades ago

- there is a group of people who will and always will hate the Cadets

I find that more than a little condescending, it is not a topic because Cadets won something.  This has nothing to do with the Cadets, not my comments, not anyone else's.  The subject matter at hand brought up by me was MY favorite conductor on the field and not one person who is expressing a comment on this mentioned the Cadets as a factor except you.  That the Cadets field commander won the Leadership award is not in dispute.  It's simply a fact.

I don't know if you are trying to paint ME as a Cadets hater so I won't judge your ambiguous comments.  I love Cadets going back to when I first saw them in 1982, the year George Hopkins became director.  They have been a favorite of mine every since, and are to this day.  I am un-affiliated with any corps as I never marched and never did any of my children. 

I am just a drum corps fan who has put his butt in the seats for 40 years and loves them all.

Assuming you are not talking about me it's unfair to proclaim anybody who does not share your opinion about field conductors to declare them a "hater" of the Cadets.  The evidence of posts on this thread does not support that conclusion.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

it's a topic because Cadets won something. Bottomline - and I learned this decades ago - there is a group of people who will and always will hate the Cadets

She was a great DM, on and off to podium. The fact that "adults" have to no-so-subtly poo-poo her achievement is disgusting. The ONLY personal award given out that night and these "fans" have to attempt to undermine it.

The discussion of 3 nights of caption scores being averaged and it being deemed unfair by some is no different than the way I have approached this topic. I never demeaned anyone other than to say there are much better conductors, 5 come to mind. I was schooled by the forum as to the process, leadership vs. conducting. I apologized, and then reiterated that I think there should be a best conductor award.  I spoke against the DM PROCESS just as those who discussed the caption scoring PROCESS in other threads. I am stating yet again, it is not to take anything from your BELOVED Cadets.  Bottomline I can not change your decades long learning, nor am inclined to care. Hate is a strong word you are bantering around...

This was my layover in DFW. I hope this dies down before I reach California.

Land of my BELOVED VANGUARD! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

and then reiterated that I think there should be a best conductor award.  I spoke against the DM PROCESS just as those who discussed the caption scoring PROCESS in other threads. (respectful snip)

I thought this and your previous comments were thoughtful and well expressed.  You are entitled to those views, and intelligent comments such as yours, pro or con regarding ANY subject should always be respected on an open forum.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I find that more than a little condescending, it is not a topic because Cadets won something.  This has nothing to do with the Cadets, not my comments, not anyone else's.  The subject matter at hand brought up by me was MY favorite conductor on the field and not one person who is expressing a comment on this mentioned the Cadets as a factor except you.  That the Cadets field commander won the Leadership award is not in dispute.  It's simply a fact.

I don't know if you are trying to paint ME as a Cadets hater so I won't judge your ambiguous comments.  I love Cadets going back to when I first saw them in 1982, the year George Hopkins became director.  They have been a favorite of mine every since, and are to this day.  I am un-affiliated with any corps as I never marched and never did any of my children. 

I am just a drum corps fan who has put his butt in the seats for 40 years and loves them all.

Assuming you are not talking about me it's unfair to proclaim anybody who does not share your opinion about field conductors to declare them a "hater" of the Cadets.  The evidence of posts on this thread does not support that conclusion.

I’m not sure how many times this must be explained. It is NOT a “best conductor” award. Stop undermining a well deserved recognition of a truly great leader 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

I’m not sure how many times this must be explained. It is NOT a “best conductor” award. Stop undermining a well deserved recognition of a truly great leader 

I think he's just saying that he was just talking about a separate topic altogether about who his favorite conductor was this year. 

I agree with the general premise of everything youre saying but I think you're looking to get offended just to be offended now. Your emotional response of "everyone hates the Cadets" attests to that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think he's just saying that he was just talking about a separate topic altogether about who his favorite conductor was this year. 

I agree with the general premise of everything youre saying but I think you're looking to get offended just to be offended now. Your emotional response of "everyone hates the Cadets" attests to that. 

I think he is just being a little overprotective of a "family" member.  It probably feels more personal also because it is about an individual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

He knows that. He really does. He's saying that much of the discussion about the award in the past several pages sprang from his comment on who he thought the best conductor was. Which is true. That's how this particular conversation got going.

• Like 3

I finally caught up reading through this ENTIRE thread (*whew!*). So, this comment will seem waaaaaay out of left field because it's responding to some comments that came up throughout during corps performances but it bugged me so much I needed to respond: Some folks need to remind themselves that a field percussion judge is evaluating the battery AND the pit. I saw several times, "Where's Allan? I guess he planted himself on the front sideline." Ummmm, how about maybe he's doing his job and sampling the pit as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Nobody said she didn't earn the award.  I certainly didn't say that and I don't think that.

I was giving my opinion about what I like seeing from a conductor on the field.  I guess I'm not being specific enough. 

The fact I like a particular conductor's style and performance does not detract from nor disparage anybody else.  It's my PERSPECTIVE and my OPINION, not an official DCI award.

But it should be.  :biggrin:

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to put words in your mouth. Read a little too fast and rattled that off. Both (and the rest) of the DM’s this season did a great job. 

Didnt realize this would spiral out of control, I hadn’t even had coffee at work yet when this started.

Edited by t.a.r.b.
my bad
  • Like 1

Wow I went to bed last night, excited about Vanguard's title and how great the Mandarins and Boston did.  But today, after checking out a few threads here on DCP, I am finding some testiness.  (Maybe I just happened to click on two especially testy threads?).

I wish we could all just get along!  This was another amazing season.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 8