DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

15 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Wow I went to bed last night, excited about Vanguard's title and how great the Mandarins and Boston did.  But today, after checking out a few threads here on DCP, I am finding some testiness.  (Maybe I just happened to click on two especially testy threads?).

I wish we could all just get along!  This was another amazing season.

Nobody should be allowed to post on here until they verify at the login that they had at least one good night of sleep (or two in some cases) since finals. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Do you mount the Apple TV on the wall behind the TV?  Might want to check that you've not mounted it near one of the cooling fan vents for the TV.  That plus the heat it generates on its own might cause this when using it for extended time.  Otherwise, get some compressed air and make sure the Apple TV isn't dusty inside, or sitting in light or have something sitting over or near its vents, etc.  

Thanks! Sorry, I just saw this. That’s actually just a projector screen and I have the AppleTV in a media cabinet below, sitting on top of my DVR— which I probably shouldn’t do, LOL. The cabinet also has a spot on in the back panel designed to take a cooling fan but I never opted for. Time to rethink that decision guess. (The DVR was off but the receiver sits on the shelf below and each shelf has slats designed to allow for air flow, with slats at the top of the back panel as well— which is the section that can be removed to put in a cooling fan.)

I’m probably going to tweak my whole setup anyway because I need to get a newer AppleTV, for the Flow app. I was probably tempting fate by streaming to my iPad and then sending that to my wirelessly connected AppleTV via Airplay. (Through an old wireless router that’s definitely on its last leg.) It’s probably a minor miracle I was able to watch anything at all. 

Once I get the new AppleTV and replace the router, I’ll have the AppleTV wired into the router and stream through the Flow app. That should hopefully minimize the dropouts. (I did have a few.) By then, maybe Google fiber will finally be in place too, LOL. (They’ve been working on laying the fiber in SA forever.)

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I’m not sure how many times this must be explained. It is NOT a “best conductor” award. Stop undermining a well deserved recognition of a truly great leader 

I don't think you're listening.  I AM NOT talking about the DCI award!  I never was.  It has nothing to do with the person who won the award and it has nothing to do with the Cadets.

The DCI award is YOUR issue, NOT MINE.  Get it?

At this point I think you are arguing for its own sake, and I think you are getting it wrong deliberately.  I haven't insinuated anything, I am very honest, direct and to the point and you still don't get it.

Moving on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, t.a.r.b. said:

Amazing, no doubt. He was just as enjoyable as the marching members on the field.

He also didn’t have the unenviable position of (snip!)

I am not talking about the DCI award.  I never was talking about it.  Never.

I don't care who won, I don't care what corps they were in.  I don't care about leadership, I don't care about any off-field issues.  I don't care about any enviable or un-enviable positions anybody was in.  I don't care.

I sat in the seats, saw a field conductor I liked for one show, and said so.  That's it.

Am I being too ambiguous?  Sheesh. 

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Thanks! Sorry, I just saw this. That’s actually just a projector screen and I have the AppleTV in a media cabinet below, sitting on top of my DVR— which I probably shouldn’t do, LOL. The cabinet also has a spot on in the back panel designed to take a cooling fan but I never opted for. Time to rethink that decision guess. (The DVR was off but the receiver sits on the shelf below and each shelf has slats designed to allow for air flow, with slats at the top of the back panel as well— which is the section that can be removed to put in a cooling fan.)

I’m probably going to tweak my whole setup anyway because I need to get a newer AppleTV, for the Flow app. I was probably tempting fate by streaming to my iPad and then sending that to my wirelessly connected AppleTV via Airplay. (Through an old wireless router that’s definitely on its last leg.) It’s probably a minor miracle I was able to watch anything at all. 

Once I get the new AppleTV and replace the router, I’ll have the AppleTV wired into the router and stream through the Flow app. That should hopefully minimize the dropouts. (I did have a few.) By then, maybe Google fiber will finally be in place too, LOL. (They’ve been working on laying the fiber in SA forever.)

Heh yeah.  The pass through stuff is probably degrading quality a bit too.  Wiring as much as you can will sort out your stream quality and such as well as take care of some of the overheating stuff. 

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I thought this and your previous comments were thoughtful and well expressed.  You are entitled to those views, and intelligent comments such as yours, pro or con regarding ANY subject should always be respected on an open forum.

I appreciate that, more than you know! 

On 8/11/2018 at 8:50 PM, kevingamin said:

.././...!

What does it mean?

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I am not talking about the DCI award.  I never was talking about it.  Never.

I don't care who won, I don't care what corps they were in.  I don't care about leadership, I don't care about any off-field issues.  I don't care about any enviable or un-enviable positions anybody was in.  I don't care.

I sat in the seats, saw a field conductor I liked for one show, and said so.  That's it.

Am I being too ambiguous?  Sheesh. 

To be fair, you did quote discussion of the award in making one such statement, so I can see how people could be confused.