DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

21 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Give Joey time to develop as a designer. He's a young caption head that has a history of success where he teaches.

This! It takes time to develop a top-tier program. Look at what happened for BAC — you grow it over time, you get a good mix of rookies and vets accustomed to the teaching style, and look! 

Not exactly what happened at Boston, guard wise. It was more hire the 2016 high guard staff, they join up (yay!) some of the kids follow and boom 2nd in 2017, high Guard in 2018.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Thanks.

I saw Cadet's DM get the "Leadership Award" on the broadcast, I was just too dumb to understand that translated into "Best Drum Major."

I be dum too, apparently! 

VANGUARD!!!!

Congratulations on a well deserved victory tonight...

Especially your brass WIN...you are just so good that I was going goo-goo ga-ga for everything you were doing tonight.

I want the audio of this...I'll be listening to this show A LOT for probably years to come...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

I am heading down to get a great view of the victory run. My next live coverage will be the 2018 Drum Corps Associates world championships Labor Day weekend in Williamsport, Pennsylvania!

Thank you as always for your great coverage, commentary, and photos! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whitedj2002 said:

I am schooled, Claire deserves it!  I just don't understand the criteria. If we are competing on finals night I also view the DM. If you knew how many fields I helped line, water jugs I filled, and drummers (including brothers!)  I had run a lap or 3! Conducting 5/8 is a piece of cake! 

A committee decides the winner of the award. I am not sure what the exact criteria is or how they receive info about each DM, but I imagine they do look very closely at the way they conduct themselves (pun intended), the way they interact with the numerous people they meet on tour, how well they keep the members motivated, engaged, and organized, how they overcome adversity/challenges, etc. 

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

This isn't the NFL where you fire a coach for going 9-7. You want to get rid of a 30 year old (+/- a year or two) caption head for giving you a top 6 color guard in DCI two years in a row?

Thought Crown was 7th tonight? Unless you're going on the 3 days...

Overall impression of 2018 DCI Finals! I'm so ready to go home! 

1. Santa Clara Vanguard - WOW! Music, drill, brass, percussion, guard, visual and amazing show design. Well deserved Champion! 

2. Bluecoats - Oh man, great performance tonight, the show design was amazing.

3. Boston Crusaders - Loved the guard, geez, it was a night to remember! 

4. Blue Stars - One of my favorite shows tonight! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the show!  

5. Mandarins - great performance, welcome to the club! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Way too many pages to go thru but has anyone talked about BD not winning any caption awards... when's the last time that happened?

2006 I think? Might need someone to check on that

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

A committee decides the winner of the award. I am not sure what the exact criteria is or how they receive info about each DM, but I imagine they do look very closely at the way they conduct themselves (pun intended), the way they interact with the numerous people they meet on tour, how well they keep the members motivated, engaged, and organized, how they overcome adversity/challenges, etc. 

Each drum major that wishes to be considered for the award submits an application (with the help of their corps director, who I think will also write a recommendation.) They then are interviewed via phone or in person at San Antonio by Gene Monterastelli, the DCI Hall-of-Famer who is kind of the DCI Drum Major/Leadership 'caption head', if you will. Not sure of the criteria but that's more info on the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

Cadet won and she isn't in the same league as either BD or SCV conducting abilities. 

As others have mentioned, it is a leadership award. It’s wonderful for all of us to applaud and praise Cadets for their fine performances, hard work, grit, etc. we forget that it’s not about picking up instruments and giving it your all. Momentum had to be kept up all season. Morale had to be low at many moments. Down days had the potential to be worse for Cadets. Illnesses which can spread with a vengeance but for Cadets, it was probably a “what else can go wrong?” Keeping Cadets on track and upbeat was a huge job, and off the field the drum major is expected to play a huge role in this effort. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 7